What size drill bit to put Ethernet cable through brick wall?

Soldato
Assuming you're not trying to thread a terminated cable through the wall, then I believe Cat5/6 cable is generally 5mm, so a 6mm bit should do it, but why not just measure it?

If you've not bought the cable yet and its being routed externally, make sure you buy externally graded cable.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
If it's a brick/stone wall you're probably going to want an SDS/hammer drill and masonry bit to get through it.

Are you planning on poking it through with the RJ45 connector? If so it looks like you'll need 13mm. If you plan on cutting the end off and re-crimping it on the other side it looks like 7mm would do.

Associate
The drill bit drills a hole the same size as the drill bit. :confused:

Just hold the drill bit up against the cable and see which is bigger. If the drill bit is bigger then it'll fit through, if the Ethernet cable is bigger then it won't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If its pre-terminated, you'll need a 16mm bit. Pretty sure this is the spec of Cat5e RJ45 connectors. I've just been routing several cables through walls and every time a 16mm bit was needed.

But if they're not pre-terminated its much easier, 6mm for standard Cat5e.

Your best bet is to buy some cable grommets like this:
LouUqo3.jpg

And drill the hold based on the size of the tube. If pre-terminated, simply use a stanley knife to open up one side of the grommet so that you can place the cable through it, and voila. Then seal up behind it with some silicon sealant.

Oh, and if drilling to run externally, make sure you drill downwards from inside, or upwards from outside.

Edit: TheCraig - I see you want two non-terminated cables. Well you can probably force two through a 10mm hole but you might crush/damage something inside it, I'd use 12mm (if its standard Cat5e), or better yet I'd measure the width and then work to that..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom