1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What small things do I need?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by supergt, 23 May 2006.

1. supergt

Hitman

Ok guys im ordering the parts now and was wondering what else i needed? I mean like where do i buy an anti static band and what else do i need to get?? Artic compound? This is my first attempt to build a PC!! i need to know before 5.pm please!

regards

S

2. kmistry

Wise Guy

arctic compund you can buy from OcUK, as for the anti-static band, havent got a clue - good luck, hope you got some help as its the first time you're doing it.....

HF :D

you might not need AS but its still nice to have, because a lot of components come with their own thermal compound pre-applied.....

dont forget screwdrivers, etc,

3. SiriusB

Capodecina

Your cooler should come with thermal compound already applied. However, if you want the best possible heat transfer, then youll need some Arctic Silver 5. All the relevant instructions and cleaning info can be found on their website.

If you're NOT using the stock cooler, it may well be worth finding out what thermal paste comes applied on your cooler. I found out my Arctic Cooling 64 Pro had MX-1 pre-applied which is just as good as AS5 - saved me a job :D

You don't actually NEED an anti-static wristband. When building mine I just touched one of the copper pipes on a radiator every 5-10 minutes. However, if you're really paranoid then spending a fiver on a wristband is good peace of mind. After all, whats a fiver when you could fry a 300 quid component lol. You can get wristbands from loads of places, just Google it.

The only other things you need to build a PC is a clear working area, preferably on a desk. Get EVERYTHING out of its boxes - but leave in anti-static bags - and check nothing is missing or visibly damaged. Then go ahead and build your pc :D

Make sure you have a screw driver too lol

EDIT: Its also handy to have another computer, preferably a laptop, close by in case you have trouble with something. Obviously if don't have another PC you will just have to muddle through :)

SiriusB

Last edited: 23 May 2006
  4. squiffy

Banned

Philips number two is all you should need.

5. fini

Sgarrista

you don't need an armband - just touch a radiator or something beforehand.

fini

6. kmistry

Wise Guy

or the inside metal case of the computer

7. SiriusB

Capodecina

Assuming one has PSU intalled and plugged in [socket switched of though!]

SiriusB

8. xirokx

Mobster

lmao :D

9. xirokx