What sort of price should I be expecting to pay for a quarter rack in a Surrey DC?

Man of Honour
Pretty fair pricing that is, a lot of factors go into pricing but a Quarter Rack with 2A is generally around £200-240 excl VAT from a few providers I can think of if you're north of the M25 for another idea on cost.
You don't even need to attend a data a datacentre yourself to operate co-lo so no reason to consider a DC slightly further away from home if starting on a budget and a few extra ms of latency from London doesn't matter for your project. Most will happily receive + rack servers for no additional charge under your monthly remote hands allowance.

Decent latency back to London as well:

3ms - I think I can deal with that :) DC is up near Northampton. As you said it's a colo so as long as the bandwidth/latency is there it doesn't really matter where it is. The DC I am with charge default remote hands charges but don't care if I go way over and don't charge me more. Probably because of the relationship etc but as you say they will rack up a server for you no issues.

Also the head thing is because I sent the DC a message this morning asking them to cover some bits for me as I came back from a 3 day wedding bender in France last night and couldn't remember where I had put some documentation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What is the niche that you're aiming for as a VPS provider that isn't covered by the thousands of other providers out there currently? If you don't want to share publicly then feel free to message me but I'm wondering if perhaps you've not looked in the right places if you have something that you couldn't find from a provider already?

I wouldn't bother calling anybody for dedicated server pricing unless you need something really non-standard. As has been mentioned, the only wiggle room you have is if you're ordering more than a few where you might be able to sway some discount. It's pretty much a rat race and the pricing is within a few £ across all providers in the UK.

You can get live pricing on any providers website worth their salt. Any that say "call for quote" (as opposed to just giving you a base figure online) on something as simple as dedicated servers or colocation should be automatically removed from any list of contenders you're looking at as they just want to get you on the phone and start selling the world to you.
Rackspace pricing I can understand as there's a lot of factors that makes up the price but there are still a lot of providers out there that publicly list prices and features to give you a good idea of if they're having your pants down!

I think I sent you a trust message but I'm not sure if it got through. I'm not used to using trust on these forums. Let me know if you didn't get it, please. If you did get it feel free to give me honest feedback.

Soldato
OP
Well, the business side of things is up and running. Now I just need to put the finishing touches on my business plan and apply for a startup loan. There is still a long way to go but I'm getting closer every day.

Soldato
OP
This is a mega bump of an old thread I made last year. Due to health issues and other boring stuff, I had to put my business plan on hold, but I'm now back and ready to go! I should hear if I get my business loan by Thursday next week which means I will be buying at least one server and will be needing to host it in a DC in either Surrey or London, but it is likely to start as a simple 1U affair. I could get more servers on finance, but my business advisor said I should probably pay outright for the first server, so we'll see what happens.

Associate
I can tell you that pay 600pcm including 12amps of power delivery for a half rack. 1200pcm for a full rack. Discounted the more racks you take. I negotiated down to about 1k on the full racks. This includes remote hands, 1gb/1gb internet etc.

Hi,
for remote-hands do they give you video too these days? I was wondering if you coukd see and hear them as they worked a task for you.

Associate
This is a mega bump of an old thread I made last year. Due to health issues and other boring stuff, I had to put my business plan on hold, but I'm now back and ready to go! I should hear if I get my business loan by Thursday next week which means I will be buying at least one server and will be needing to host it in a DC in either Surrey or London, but it is likely to start as a simple 1U affair. I could get more servers on finance, but my business advisor said I should probably pay outright for the first server, so we'll see what happens.

It would be interesting to know why you chose bare metal rather than a cloud provider? You don't need the ability to quickly scale up I expect.

Soldato
OP
It would be interesting to know why you chose bare metal rather than a cloud provider? You don't need the ability to quickly scale up I expect.

Well, I'll be providing my own VPS instances with a slightly unique twist which will help me compete with companies like Linode and Digital Ocean. We'll see how it works out. If the worst comes to the worst then I have other projects on the go that would benefit from a dedicated server.

Back
Top Bottom