What sports car would you buy for around £12k?

Associate
Hate said:
the turbo doesn't need a rebuild mate, its the entire engine (although it has about 3 moving parts)

besides, now they can use tips from the RX8 to help prevent this problem

Think he means the turbo version ie FD :)

Thing is though people think they are unrealible but there not...60k from a sports car running 280 bhp is good IMO..Anyway thats going a bit off topic.sorry :p

Soldato
I think you are all missing the point, it’s a woman who wants a “sports car” I think this means that it does not actually have to be fast but just be sporty (ie 2 doors) and look good.

To be honest for £12 k the only decent car you can get is a TT or MX5. Second hand TTs are very cheap now so for £12k she can probably get a decent 2001/2 with 225bhp. They are quick enough, interior is very very nice, handling is ok and relatively reliable.

The only other option would be a old boxter but again at £12k you will not get much.

Associate
Just having a quick look through yesterdays autotrader...
Can get a nice TT for 12k (hard or soft top) & there are plenty to choose from.
Can get a boxster but 12k is bottom money really with not many to choose.
Mx5 - well take you pick (eg £10950-04 car with leather etc and 10k on the clock)
Get a nice SLK for this money also..
Obviously these prices are only what they are advertised for and not what they actually sell for..:)

Edit:....tell her to save a few more grand and get an S2000! :p

Last edited:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Trickle said:
I think like paras said, quite a few of us missed the 'woman' bit in the equation :D
Say that to my sister and she will kick you in the sack.

She hates being discriminated against and thinks she can do anything men can do :rolleyes:

She drives a 1980s Land Cruiser :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I will pass them all on. I'm not really 100% sure what she is looking for, just something like a TT I think.
I think she will like the Merc SLK though, she has always liked them.

Soldato
there are a few nice tt's for sale on www.ttforum.co.uk

I am on my second TT, I really really do enjoy driving it (especially after the revo) ok its not the most hard core of sports cars however its practical, I have to run up and down the motorway a lot so comfort is very important to me.

Soldato
ramirez said:
don't know any women that would feel safe in an RX7. Same with a Lotus. MX5 is a really good idea though.

I saw a woman driving an Elise the other day, I was shocked! :eek:

You can't fit the weekly shop into one of those!

j/k :p

Man of Honour
Nazbit said:
It depends what your idea of a sports car is I suppose,

If you wanted a "sports car" , Mx5, RX8, Elise, Vx220

If you want a "sporty car" then Focus RS, BMW 325Ci, Audi TT

Spot on IMO.

The mx5 is very much the epitome of a sports car - don't let it's girly/hairdresser image fool you. So it's not got 2 million bhp and can't do 0-60 in 0.5s, it doesn't not make it a sports car. Probably one of the best chassis of it's style of car out there, pretty potent engine, RWD front Engined, LSD, 2 seater - that to me screams sporrts car. Evo, Top Gear etc... seem to agree. :)

Caporegime
I think the Mx5 or S2000 pretty define what a sports car is.

Caterham is a kit car knocking on racer, not really a wind in your hair thrashing down the lanes type of thing a sports car is that the S2000 and Mx do so well.

Back
Top Bottom