What Surround Sound setup?

Associate
Hi,

I have no clue about what is a good surround sound kit and bad surround sound kit. I do know I like the look of the old eltax speakers and would consider buying something a bit more updated. However I'm so poor it's a joke due to buying a flat. So I don't mind if they are oldies but goddies.

Anyway I like the wood look none of that new panasonic/sony crap please.

any help is appreciated

Thanks

Soldato
Hi,

I have no clue about what is a good surround sound kit and bad surround sound kit. I do know I like the look of the old eltax speakers and would consider buying something a bit more updated. However I'm so poor it's a joke due to buying a flat. So I don't mind if they are oldies but goddies.

Anyway I like the wood look none of that new panasonic/sony crap please.

any help is appreciated

Thanks

this is a great set up even though its Panasonic ha! and the price is good too :)

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/SC-HTB20/SC-HTB20EB-K,en_GB,pd.html?cgid=Soundbar&start=3

Associate
OP
£100-£150 would be from a great auction site or some kind of second hand purchase. I quite like the look of the wooden speakers that's why I am not so keen on the pannys and other brands like that. However bit of a sound noob so I appreciate the suggestion

Last edited:
Soldato
£100-£150 would be from a great auction site or some kind of second hand purchase. I quite like the look of the wooden speakers that's why I am not so keen on the pannys and other brands like that. However bit of a sound noob so I appreciate the suggestion

yeah i must admit i have a lovly set of Mission Speakers in my room built by a Cambridgeshire company and they do sound a lot better than the mass stuff of today :) don,t think people buy speakers like that today ? as the p.c and Laptop is the HiFi System as well as Comp ..ok i,m a dinosaur lol

Soldato
I would suggest a bit by bit build, buy yourself a nice pair of bookshelf speakers I'm think Wharfdales of some description and a decent surround amp probably a slightly older onkyo model get it all off the bay and then save up to add a centre rears and finally a sub.

If you not too fussed on having older stuff and missing out on the latest tech you could get a pretty decent entire setup for you budget I'm thinking

Marantz SR4200
Wharfdale diamond 7.1's for front and rears and a whafdale valdus centre.

Soldato
You would first need to listen to some equipment to decide if you want a warm or bright setup.
I went with a Denon amp and Q Acoustic speakers you end up with a warm system, thats suites my listening.
Dont just buy what someone else suggests, your taste in sound might be completely different.

Denon, Yamaha and Marantz made my shortlist for warm amps, and even then its amazing the difference in sound from these three manufacturers.

Soldato
Depends what you want to spend, 160hz lowest on the surrounds is pretty high if you ask me.
Also pretty low on wattage. It also is basically a speaker package so wont decode anything. Your better off getting a decent av reciever and get cheap speakers at first if you can afford good ones, a good reciever will let you connect everything up and handle all the audio for you.

Man of Honour
Just throwing it out there as an option - I used a set of Edifiers (stereo) as temporary replacement for my surround system whilest redecorating and was very impressed with how well they worked especially for the price.

Associate
OP
I would suggest a bit by bit build, buy yourself a nice pair of bookshelf speakers I'm think Wharfdales of some description and a decent surround amp probably a slightly older onkyo model get it all off the bay and then save up to add a centre rears and finally a sub.

If you not too fussed on having older stuff and missing out on the latest tech you could get a pretty decent entire setup for you budget I'm thinking

Marantz SR4200
Wharfdale diamond 7.1's for front and rears and a whafdale valdus centre.

Found all of those on the bay think I agree a bit by bit build is the best way.

Back
Top Bottom