What to do/ask for for 18th birthday

Soldato
Something you will keep and use a lot. They are expecting you to choose something that will mean something for a long time.

I have a necklace that I have only taken off twice in 11 years (both times for an operation), and a rather expensive gold/black fountain pen I use almost exclusivly.

Soldato
Really not worth having a car at the age in my opinion unless you work far away from home.
Insurance is ££ could be spent on booze.

I don't think anyone who owned a car when they were 17 would agree with you...at all. Giving me a car was pretty much the best thing my parents ever did, even if they sold it for £50 one day...

That's a +1 on the car btw.

Soldato
I don't think anyone who owned a car when they were 17 would agree with you...at all. Giving me a car was pretty much the best thing my parents ever did, even if they sold it for £50 one day...

Though I pretty much go nowhere, one of my mates had a car and sold it though as he realized he could get by fine without it.
It's just a lot of money at that age, I know where I would rather spend my money on :D. Hence why I am on this forum.
Though I do have a pretty good local bus service, 10 minutes to town and it takes around two times that if you go by car, as you have to park and the bus takes a shortcut.

Soldato
Though I pretty much go nowhere, one of my mates had a car and sold it though as he realized he could get by fine without it.
It's just a lot of money at that age, I know where I would rather spend my money on :D. Hence why I am on this forum.

I've just got out of uni and saving for a car is the first thing on my mind. You don't know how much you value your freedom until it's reduced. Being able to just get in a car and drive to my friends was one of the most valuable and liberating things for me, and it was also part of me gaining independence from them in terms of me doing all my own transport. Getting public transport can be awful.

Permabanned
Some peoples parents wish to support their children. Just because others don't, doesn't mean no one should. Where would we be if our parents hadn't raised us?! This is an extension of that.

its not about support, its about showing YOUR independence and showing them how well they raised you.

If you dont ask for anything and tell them you want nothing it will make them much more proud.

Soldato
its not about support, its about showing YOUR independence and showing them how well they raised you.

If you dont ask for anything and tell them you want nothing it will make them much more proud.

My brother didn't ask my parents, but they offered it to him :)

Caporegime
Fixed. I hate stupid status symbols like that. It doesn't do anything better than a regular watch other than maybe look better, but a bare wrist looks far better anyway.

There's a lot to be appreciated in a nice watch. People spend thousands of pounds on clothes and shoes yet buying a nice watch is a 'status symbol'.

Soldato

Not necessarily. Do you not think they'd be more proud if they helped you to go to university, for example, if you couldn't afford it on your own, and consequently became successful in your own right?

Soldato

Not really, some parents want to see their children happy. Giving gifts is one way of doing that. Anyway a lot of kids to uni where they have to be independent.

Back
Top Bottom