• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to expect from AMD on October 8th?

Associate
The 8th is the date when AMD are supposedly releasing (or at least announcing) their Zen 3 CPUs. I've seen so many rumours my head is spinning.

Besides with Nvidia's shenanigans with the 3080 launch I'm wondering what AMD will come out with Re the Zen 3 CPUs.

So if you think your able to read the runes I'd love to hear what you think will happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's likely that we'll see AMD release something that matches or beats the 3070 for less money while offering more VRAM. I'm not really expecting them to beat the 3080 out of the gate, although I'd be very happy to be proven wrong and see them release something faster than the 3080.

As long as they can offer a competent well priced card capable of 4K I think they'll do well.

Associate
OP
I think it's likely that we'll see AMD release something that matches or beats the 3070 for less money while offering more VRAM. I'm not really expecting them to beat the 3080 out of the gate, although I'd be very happy to be proven wrong and see them release something faster than the 3080.

As long as they can offer a competent well priced card capable of 4K I think they'll do well.

Thanks Gray2233. I realise my question went on more about the GPUs than CPUs so I've edited it to make it clearer. However, I'm also iterested in what will happen with AMDs big navi Vs Nvidia's 30x0 GPUs.

Soldato
Thanks Gray2233. I realise my question went on more about the GPUs than CPUs so I've edited it to make it clearer. However, I'm also iterested in what will happen with AMDs big navi Vs Nvidia's 30x0 GPUs.

My fault actually, I just saw this under 'new posts' and didn't see the subsection it was posted under.

CPU wise I think most are expecting around a 15% performance gain depending on task, we're also looking at the CPU's being listed as 5000 series rather than 4000 to differentiate from the mobile chips if rumours are accurate. Hopefully the processors will be available fairly soon after the October reveal, but if I remember rightly it took a couple of months after the reveal of Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) before we saw availability and that was pre-covid.

Fingers crossed things are a lot smoother for both GPU and CPU launches for AMD than the 3080 debacle.

Soldato
So if you think your able to read the runes I'd love to hear what you think will happen.
I don't see it being any different than previous gens, tbh. They'll cover the improvements and benefits of the Zen 3 architecture, reiterate their technological leadership position and wax lyrical about the market gains they've had across all sectors over the previous year. Since the 8th is billed as Ryzen I doubt they'll talk too much about EPYC, and certainly not Threadripper.

I'm expecting 3 SKUs, being direct replacements for the 3600X, 3700X and 3900X, i.e. 6, 8 and 12 core models. I don't see a repeat of the 3700X/3800X mess (whatever AMD were planning just didn't pan out), so I don't think we'll have 2 8-core SKUs. However, based on fairly new rumours there's an outside chance of a 10 core SKU adding to the mix. If that's true I'd say that's the 3800X successor. Although I've often said I don't think the numbering system is confusing, I've changed my mind recently regarding the shift to 5000 series given it's been almost a year since the 4000 series APUs landed. So, pulling a few rumours together, I'm anticipating

5600X - 6 cores
5700X - 8 cores
5800X - 10 cores
5900X - 12 cores

as the core desktop Ryzen launch. I doubt they'll mention 16 core 5950X at this point because it won't be released until a fair bit later (like before).

Expect gaming benchmarks vs 10900K, but probably with a 2080 Ti. I'd love to see gaming benchmarks with an unnamed AMD card, or even drop in an Easter Egg for those who'll no doubt analyse every pixel in the demo screens in having the GPU running the comparison listed as "RX 6000", just to feed the flames for later that month.

There may be talk of a new chipset too; it's just assumed that we'll get a X670 chipset to go along with the new CPUs, but I personally doubt it; B550 is still pretty new and A520 has only just landed. I do anticipate a X570 refresh (X590?) in which the boards are made properly this time, rather than the hodge-podge, dog's dinner that was the original boards.

Caporegime
well the rumours are they are going to be very strong in gaming even next gen intel may not be as fast fingers crossed. looked forward to the announcement.

Soldato
I'll be interested to see how they segment the CPUs, given we are still one of the various 7nm nodes so I'm not expecting much greater increases in node density.

They could still do 6, 8 and 12 core CPU's, I think that's highly likely. But there also the potential to bring the core counts up. They really don't have to worry about Intel competition since they are still stuck on 14nm for desktop processors so I can't see Intel increasing the core counts since they dont have the die space.

Associate
I don't see it being any different than previous gens, tbh. They'll cover the improvements and benefits of the Zen 3 architecture, reiterate their technological leadership position and wax lyrical about the market gains they've had across all sectors over the previous year. Since the 8th is billed as Ryzen I doubt they'll talk too much about EPYC, and certainly not Threadripper.

I'm expecting 3 SKUs, being direct replacements for the 3600X, 3700X and 3900X, i.e. 6, 8 and 12 core models. I don't see a repeat of the 3700X/3800X mess (whatever AMD were planning just didn't pan out), so I don't think we'll have 2 8-core SKUs. However, based on fairly new rumours there's an outside chance of a 10 core SKU adding to the mix. If that's true I'd say that's the 3800X successor. Although I've often said I don't think the numbering system is confusing, I've changed my mind recently regarding the shift to 5000 series given it's been almost a year since the 4000 series APUs landed. So, pulling a few rumours together, I'm anticipating

5600X - 6 cores
5700X - 8 cores
5800X - 10 cores
5900X - 12 cores

as the core desktop Ryzen launch. I doubt they'll mention 16 core 5950X at this point because it won't be released until a fair bit later (like before).

Expect gaming benchmarks vs 10900K, but probably with a 2080 Ti. I'd love to see gaming benchmarks with an unnamed AMD card, or even drop in an Easter Egg for those who'll no doubt analyse every pixel in the demo screens in having the GPU running the comparison listed as "RX 6000", just to feed the flames for later that month.

There may be talk of a new chipset too; it's just assumed that we'll get a X670 chipset to go along with the new CPUs, but I personally doubt it; B550 is still pretty new and A520 has only just landed. I do anticipate a X570 refresh (X590?) in which the boards are made properly this time, rather than the hodge-podge, dog's dinner that was the original boards.

I more expect

5600x 6 cores single CCX
5700x 8 core cross 2 CCXs
5800x 8 core single CCX
5900x 12 core dual CCX

As that will give the 5800x a justification for there being 2 8 core products much like the 3100 and the 3300x

Soldato
I more expect

5600x 6 cores single CCX
5700x 8 core cross 2 CCXs
5800x 8 core single CCX
5900x 12 core dual CCX

As that will give the 5800x a justification for there being 2 8 core products much like the 3100 and the 3300x
Nobody will buy the 5700X then. The 5600X will be the better gaming CPU and the 5800X the better productivity CPU because there's no cross-CCD latency to worry about. I don't see AMD making the same mistake again in having two 8 core SKUs but set up in such a way there's zero need to buy one of them.

Plus, those 4 core CCDs can feed the 5300X, now that x300 without a GPU is a thing.

Soldato
The reason folk'll buy the 5700X detailed above is that it'd be cheaper than the 5800X, maybe similar prince to the 5600X. It would be 'productivity on the cheap'.

Soldato
The reason folk'll buy the 5700X detailed above is that it'd be cheaper than the 5800X, maybe similar prince to the 5600X. It would be 'productivity on the cheap'.
Then we'd have to see benches which compare how a pair of 4 cores with increased latency fares about a single block of 6 cores without in productivity tasks.

This is possibly the first time I've said "roll on October 8th" in about a decade; it's an ex's birthday :p

Associate
Can't say what AMD will do, but I know what I'm doing, and it's buying a CPU, motherboard and RAM to replace my 4690k.

It's a straight 8+ core CPU cost/gaming performance fight between intel and AMD for my cash.

I hope Zen3 is when AMD finally matches/beats Intel on single core performance, and it can only be a good thing for consumers in general.
Might not be so good for this specific consumer if I have to fight thousands of others for a new CPU but I've been patient for a year or 2 now and can wait a little longer.

Soldato
It would be only unproductivity achievement for AMD:
With need for two CCDs/chiplets and hence also more assembly work it would never be cheaper, but major amount more expensive.

Six core model can take those chiplets with two faulty cores and possible 10 core model could use chiplets with up to three faulty/weak cores.
Bad enough silicon defects to make chiplet not work for those would probably make that chiplet trash anyway.
And no doubt there will be very low end replacement for 3300X at some point when they have big enough stock of only four good cores chiplets to actually release product.

5600 6 cores, 5700 8 cores, 5800 10 cores and 5900 12 cores is the most logical combination.

Soldato
With need for two CCDs/chiplets and hence also more assembly work it would never be cheaper, but major amount more expensive.
I sincerely doubt it costs anything significant to mount a 2nd chiplet on a package that's design to take 2 chiplets to begin with. If it really were so expensive to drop a 2nd chiplet on, the bagain-basement 3100 simply wouldn't exist. The same machines that assemble the 3900X and 3950X will also be the ones used for the 3100. So it'll be the same this time; should a 5700X be a dual chiplet CPU, it'll just run on the same assembly lines as the 5900X and 5950X.

Back
Top Bottom