• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to expect from AMD on October 8th?

Permabanned
There are no leaks whatsoever from the board partners for new motherboards with X670 chipset.
B550 was launched so recently, that I doubt we will see anything new.

When does DDR5 appear on the market - the answer to that tells you probably everything you need to know.

This is the last AM4 release, next year will introduce DDR5 and an AM5 socket to go with it.

Van Gogh and Rembrandt, and Raphael will be with DDR5.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/amd-zen-4-thread-inc-am5-apu-discussion.18897108/

DDR5 comes to APU with Zen 3 and PCIe 4 first.

It's possible that first AM5 chipset will support PCIe 4, and future chipset PCIe 5.

AMD’s Next-Gen Rembrandt Ryzen APUs To Feature Enhanced Zen 3 CPU & RDNA 2 GPU Cores on 6nm Process Node, DDR5-5200 Support
https://wccftech.com/amd-rembrandt-...anced-zen-3-cpu-rdna-2-gpu-cores-6nm-process/

Soldato
I think a new chipset is all but guaranteed. Otherwise all motherboards would need a bios update before they're useable. That's not very buyer friendly if you're only joining AMD now.
Surely within a few weeks of launch all motherboards would ship with Zen 3 supporting BIOS updates?

Soldato
Return to retailer, their problem. Be a daft retailer who wouldn't flash before sending out though. Worst case scenario they ship a 50p USB stick with BIOS and instructions.

Soldato
The 8th is the date when AMD are supposedly releasing (or at least announcing) their Zen 3 CPUs. I've seen so many rumours my head is spinning.

Besides with Nvidia's shenanigans with the 3080 launch I'm wondering what AMD will come out with Re the Zen 3 CPUs.

So if you think your able to read the runes I'd love to hear what you think will happen.

...for Intel, that is.

Soldato
Seems like Intel is nowhere. AMD are competing against themselves.

The biggest threat to the enthusiast is AMD doing an Intel, and settling for minor changes as the competition isn't competitive, Intel won't be competitive until they transition fully to 10 and 7nm process node.

AMD could quite easily spend their time now focusing on improving graphics and power in their consumer facing chips to get into the OEM space and leave the desktop with nothing of note, just like Intel.

Associate
The biggest threat to the enthusiast is AMD doing an Intel, and settling for minor changes as the competition isn't competitive, Intel won't be competitive until they transition fully to 10 and 7nm process node.
With this in mind if Zen 3 is going to be as good as the rumours suggest could we also see a significant price increase from AMD?

Soldato
With this in mind if Zen 3 is going to be as good as the rumours suggest could we also see a significant price increase from AMD?
I wouldn't say significant, but I can't shake the feeling that part of the XT launch was to establish a new baseline for Ryzen pricing. Traditionally, the new gens have been more-or-less the same price as when the outgoing gen launched, but the XT refresh edged their launch prices up. I can see Zen 3 launching at a touch above the XT launch prices.

Associate

AMD could quite easily spend their time now focusing on improving graphics and power in their consumer facing chips to get into the OEM space and leave the desktop with nothing of note, just like Intel.

I seriously doubt that Lisa Su will allow that. She has just kicked AMD back into a competitive position and is putting as much cash into R&D as possible.

There's a roadmap to Zen 4 and then last I heard it was time for a fresh u-arch. In the words of Jim Keller, re-write every 5 years!

Soldato

AMD don't have time to rest on their laurels and do an Intel. AMD have a year before Intel can mount a comeback, and that time will be spent further refining their CPU tech and offering Intel-beating products to sway OEMs. The DIY space is a bloodbath right now and new server contracts are on the rise, but AMD need to break Intel's stranglehold on the laptop and boggo office build OEM sectors, as well as convince existing Intel customers to move their servers away.

So much to do before Intel launch Alder Lake, and not really that much time.

Associate
I am guessing
5600X - 6 Core 12 Thread
5700X - 8 Core - 16 Thread
5800X - 8 Core - 16 Thread
5850X - 10 Core - 20 Thread (to follow later)
5900X - 12 Core - 24 Thread
5950X 16 Core - 32 Thread (Probably to follow later but i hopefully no as me want)

Associate
Santa wil be busy this year, finally some good gfx cards and even better cpu's. I just hope the stock levels are good, but by AMD employee's tweets it should be ok, touch wood...

Back
Top Bottom