1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to get instead of asrock dual

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by epeion, 17 Jan 2006.

1. epeion

Associate

hi have already posted for more general advice in genral hardware section,
    but now need more precise info on what m/b to get.

iwas going to buy to go with the rest of my kit an asrock dual, but as some has already pointed out this is limited for o/c as get an amd 144 or 146 not sure yet also as im getting pci-e card dual agp bit is redundant people have suggested dfi lan party but unfortunately place im getting other bits from don,t stock dfi in amd format :(

so other options please in £50 to £80ish mark

thankyou

2. twiceborn

Gangster

I would really recommend getting a DFI board to go with your opteron, especially if you get a 144. It's worth paying a bit more postage to get one on its own, from OcUK for example.

However, if £80 really is the budget limit, try something by Epox or Asus. Someone else will have to recommend particular models though, as I've not used these boards myself :)

3. CB666

Gangster

£80 should be plenty to pick up a 2nd hand ultra-d, your only real choice if you want to overclock the life out of that opty.

4. twiceborn

Gangster

OcUK has a B-grade DFI Ultra-D for £76.38 inc. VAT.

5. mp260767

Capodecina

hi,

see if the site has any Epox EP-9NPA's, there are 2/3 varietys.

6. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

I agree with mp260767 - Epox boards are great clockers and tend to be easier to setup than DFI boards

7. easyrider

Caporegime

Epox will easily do 300 FSB and are stable and built great and are good value:)

8. CB666

Gangster

isnt hard to setup and n00bs can use many existing threads for setting they dont know yet. ;)

9. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

Compared to an ASUS board it is harder to setup

It is also very picky with different memory types for example. If you want to quickly overclock something the fewer options available on ASUS boards are easier for people to manage

If you are new to PCs the DFI can be a daunting and off-putting experience.

I'm not saying that they're bad boards just that they take a bit of setting up

10. epeion

Associate

any advice on a good asus board between £50-80 ajgoodfellow

also thanks to the rest of you for the advice so far

11. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

Either the Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS) or the Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-101-AS) would be good choices for that price range

12. Mekrel

Soldato

The DFI Nforce4 boards aint hard to setup, they were when they first came out but since bios 3/10 alot of issues were solved.

We're now on bios 6/23 and it took me 20 mins to get the bios flashed and windows installed. Same with all the DFI boards I have owned.

The nforce4 was probably the easiest as I had integrated the drivers into the windows CD including Raid. OS went on as sweet as a nut.

Running a 3Ghz Opty now, yummeh.

13. Barely Legal

Gangster

I'm doing pretty well with the oc'ing of this opteron on an asrock - getting 2.7Ghz with 1.45v :)

14. mp260767

Capodecina

just as an idea, i know u said the place doesnt stock dfi's, butfor that sort of price range you can get a dfi infinity from another place, may be worth a look if you fancy trying a dfi.