• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

what to upgrade to from 5870?

Associate
Hi everyone, been out of scene for quite a while.

My spec is in the sig, but lately I've been struggling with fps in several games, so looking to upgrade with about £300 budget, give or take £50, preferably less ofc.

What do you think should I go for? 770, or wait for the 760? Don't need something major, just something significantly better than 5870, and a good value for money.

Many thanks

Soldato
GTX770.

Or a 7950 / GTX760 if you don't want to spend that much.

I'd wait for the GTX760, for pricing and relative performance.

A 7950 is good value for money already, but the 760 may shake the tree a little bit. NVIDIA / AMD tend to be a bit reactive when deciding on their pricing. May also impact the GTX 670.

You can also look at the game bundled with the card, and they do anything for you.

So yeah, pretty much what you said, but I'd wait a little bit longer before deciding.

Associate
GTX 770 is still only the same value as an HD 7970, which still makes the HD 7950 the most sensible high end choice in terms of value. Even without the free games and even at stock it's £100 less than either the 770 or 7970 while performing not to far below them. Overclocked, they're within 5% of each other.

GTX760 has the potential to shake things up though so you might as well wait a little if you can.

Soldato
GTX 770 is still only the same value as an HD 7970, which still makes the HD 7950 the most sensible high end choice in terms of value. Even without the free games and even at stock it's £100 less than either the 770 or 7970 while performing not to far below them. Overclocked, they're within 5% of each other.

GTX760 has the potential to shake things up though so you might as well wait a little if you can.

Dont forget an average 670 is faster than an average 7950 and they are the same price, whether they are overclocked or not. :)

Associate
Dont forget an average 670 is faster than an average 7950 and they are the same price, whether they are overclocked or not. :)

Depends how lucky you are but with decent overclocks on both the 7950 should edge ahead. And with free games and being on average at least £20 cheaper, it's better value as long as you don't have particular preferences.

It's a different matter entirely at stock obviously. If planning to keep at stock speed, GTX 670 would be better value, though it's worth keeping in mind that an HD 7950 that can't do a 33% OC on the core is a comparatively bum card, while some even go beyond 50%. This is why I think it stands out in terms of value.

Last edited:
Soldato
The GTX 670 is a good buy atm and certainly uses less power than the HD 7950.

The chances of the GTX 760 being better value are prettly low, Nvidia will likely price it according to it's performance. Depends if you wanna wait and see.

The GTX 670 has about twice the performance of the HD5870. I upgraded from one myself.

(Edit) If you want to spend that sort of money the GTX 770 is nice though. :)

Soldato
Depends how lucky you are but with decent overclocks on both the 7950 should edge ahead. And with free games and being on average at least £20 cheaper, it's better value as long as you don't have particular preferences.

It's a different matter entirely at stock obviously. If planning to keep at stock speed, GTX 670 would be better value, though it's worth keeping in mind that an HD 7950 that can't do a 33% OC on the core is a comparatively bum card, while some even go beyond 50%. This is why I think it stands out in terms of value.

I think someone said on here that some cheaper 7950's dont come with games anymore? i dont know if thats true.

To be fair my 670 only boosts to 1189mhz but for £300 in september was a bargain.

Soldato
~£240 - 5950 or 670
~£300 - 5970 or 770

Depends on what you prefer.
Having just been through deciding myself TBH theres not enough in it performance wise to say one is any better than the other.
Pricewise they are pretty comparable too, so it came down to the stock performance and best cooler options for me, I was happy to pay a bit more for a faster stock card so ended up getting a 770.

Nvidias pricing is a bit odd atm, the 770 is a faster card than the 680, but I got a better cooled 770 for less than the reference 680's are going for.

The 760 isn't a bad performer, but needs to be under £200 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom