What top up tv freeview box?

Soldato
carpmaster said:
The chap installed two aerials so I don't think a splitter would have been used.

Personally, I would have put up a single aerial and then conected it to an 6 output amp in the attic.

Then, the top three bedrooms can be individually fed internally by running a cable through the ceiling of the desired room.

The other 3 rooms would need the cable to come out of the attic and down the house and then back in again, but I imagine you ran the 3 other rooms like this anyway? How did you get the signal to the other rooms?

Doing it this way all of the amp/splitting and mass of cables you get with this is kept in the attic out of sight.

O/T - carpmaster, next time you have a spare 5 mins can you fire up MSN please :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've obviously highlighted the coax because it all blends in.
Aeriel coax goes into top bedroom where theres an amplifier.
One coax goes down to living room through the ceiling.
The other comes out to the left of the upstairs window and down to the kitchen.
Virtually identical at the front but two bedrooms are fed and one living room.
And before somebody says : Theres no way we could have let them into the attic and worked six coax cables from there.
And : the engineer tested the signal at the aeriel and then tested it at the amplifier and there was no drop in signal.

aeriel.jpg

Soldato
Like has been said, as long as your happy that's what matters with the job.

It would have been wise to of measure the signal at the furtherst point from the aerial, probably the kitchen tv, that's where it will be weakest :)

Man of Honour
Tesla said:
Like has been said, as long as your happy that's what matters with the job.

It would have been wise to of measure the signal at the furtherst point from the aerial, probably the kitchen tv, that's where it will be weakest :)

Do you think I'm a ****** or something?
Already been done at the time.
The analogue signal picture on all 6 TV's are superb.
In fact we had to put attenuators on because I live 2 miles max from the transmitter.

carpmaster said:
OOh check out the nasty pressed bracket (40p), the un-necessary cranked mast and the contract aerials (80p each). Seen a lot worse though.....

What amazing eyes you have.
I wanted to go for the £1 aeriels but living too close to the transmitter would have given a poorer signal.
Every shop I went in told me exactly the same thing.
The reason I chose the fitter I did was because he showed me the 80p aeriel and the 40p bracket and they were better than the cheaper ones.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Apologies - I was a bit strong but check out the satellite system.
I've been installing those for over 20 years capturing the wonderful programs on all the satellites over Europe and I do know my stuff about signal strength.
The reason for my comment was you said the engineer measured the signal at the aerial and the amp. As these are not very far apart I would hope there to be minimal signal loss.

Associate
This thread has pretty juch run it's course now, but it does seem strange that you chose to use two amps and then had to attenuate the signal afterwards. Either the amp's gain was too high, or you shouldn't have used them in the first place.

I'm perplexed as to what you mean about the £1 aerials? My reason for mentioning it was that your aerial doesn't even have a balun so it won't impedence match the cable to the aerial properly. From what you say about being 1 mile away frmo the transmitter, a nice log periodic and screened passive splitters would have been a much better choice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1 - I had to have the least amount of cables going on the outside of the house.
Running six coaxes around the house or internally was not going to happen.

2 - I already had a pre-conceived idea about how I was going to do it but didn't tell the aeriel fitter until he got there. I told him where I lived and said I wanted the best "money no object" and he said because of how close to the transmitter I was, it would be a waste of money and said the 80p aeriels would do.

3 - When I told him what I wanted doing he was exactly like you and said it wouldn't work properly because he's obviously an expert. I told him that his job was to cable the two upstairs TV's in, get an excellent picture on them and I would worry about the rest but he was worried about his reputation.

4 - He did the front TV, was happy with the picture and went off to do the back. Meanwhile I plugged his coax into my £15 Argos amp and led it off to 3 TV's.

5 - He then came in to check my work and was gobsmacked at the picture on all 3 TV's but there was a bit of ghosting so into his toolbox he went and bought out a handful of attenuators and tried different sizes until the picture was excellent. He then helped me with the back and said that it wasn't correct but its given him another way of doing things because he has been asked for similar.

6 - He went away happy knowing he'd done a good job, all my family were happy because they've had to put up with portable aeriels for years and I'm happy that it works.

HOWEVER, can you explain what you mean when you said this -
You're going to struggle if you ever wanted to add FM or DAB or send any other signals (Sky / CCTV) to the rooms.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
You're going to struggle if you ever wanted to add FM or DAB or send any other signals (Sky / CCTV) to the rooms.
If you had a sky box in your living room, most would want to allow other tvs in the house to watch and control what is on the box. Signals won't go the wrong way through an amplifier, and half of the house isn't linked to the other half. So it can't really be done.

Similarly, adding DAB/FM aerials. The Amplifier's almost certainly only amplify UHF, so the VHF needed for DAB/FM wouldn't get distributed after the amp. Plus you'd need two UHF aerials as the house isn't linked.

I think that's the gist of the statement, anyway.

Soldato
Soo freview isn't worth getting then? I was going to get a cheap box for my room and I know we get great reception in my area but might not consider it now.

Man of Honour
csmager said:
If you had a sky box in your living room, most would want to allow other tvs in the house to watch and control what is on the box. Signals won't go the wrong way through an amplifier, and half of the house isn't linked to the other half. So it can't really be done.

Similarly, adding DAB/FM aerials. The Amplifier's almost certainly only amplify UHF, so the VHF needed for DAB/FM wouldn't get distributed after the amp. Plus you'd need two UHF aerials as the house isn't linked.

I think that's the gist of the statement, anyway.

The amps have got FM/Dab inputs but to be honest I've got no need for any of that and theres no way I would want the contents of my Dreambox satellite system broadcasting around the rest of the house :D

Thanks

Man of Honour
Mundu said:
Soo freview isn't worth getting then? I was going to get a cheap box for my room and I know we get great reception in my area but might not consider it now.

For the price of a box I'd say it was worth it.
Better picture quality, EPG and extra channels that you might watch.
Could be worth it just for the radio stations.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17589548

Last edited:
Associate
dmpoole said:
1 - I had to have the least amount of cables going on the outside of the house.
Running six coaxes around the house or internally was not going to happen.
That's totally understandable, and due to this the cabling couldn't really be done as it would normally be done which will limit your options in the future. Of course it's irrelevent if you only intend to carry the existing signals.

dmpoole said:
2 - I already had a pre-conceived idea about how I was going to do it but didn't tell the aeriel fitter until he got there. I told him where I lived and said I wanted the best "money no object" and he said because of how close to the transmitter I was, it would be a waste of money and said the 80p aeriels would do.
I think he's missed the point. When a customer says they want the best, it's not about using a large fancy expensive aerial. It's about using good quality materials, benchmarked cables and aerials (with baluns!), hot dipped galvanised brackets, decent diameter low gauge aluminium masts and good installation planning. An 80p aerial is an 80p aerial. It's made as cheaply as is humanly possible and if you've ever compared one with a good quality aerial, you'll see the difference clearly. The aluminium is paper thin on contract aerials, the supports are woefully inadequate, and those damn pressed chimney brackets should be melted down and used to form a large hammer to pulverise any installer that's tight enough to use them.

dmpoole said:
3 - When I told him what I wanted doing he was exactly like you and said it wouldn't work properly because he's obviously an expert. I told him that his job was to cable the two upstairs TV's in, get an excellent picture on them and I would worry about the rest but he was worried about his reputation.
The customer is (usually) always right, so he's done what you asked for which is fine.

dmpoole said:
5 - He then came in to check my work and was gobsmacked at the picture on all 3 TV's but there was a bit of ghosting so into his toolbox he went and bought out a handful of attenuators and tried different sizes until the picture was excellent. He then helped me with the back and said that it wasn't correct but its given him another way of doing things because he has been asked for similar.
This is a bit strange. The level of ghosting is dependant on the ratio between the ghost signal and the direct signal from the transmitter. Fitting attenuators isn't the answer, unless the problem wasn't ghosting in the first place. Also you shouldn't need to test out different values of attenuator. When you need to use one you'll know exactly the value you need because you'll have measured the signal previously.

dmpoole said:
6 - He went away happy knowing he'd done a good job, all my family were happy because they've had to put up with portable aeriels for years and I'm happy that it works.
This is the main point. Your happy and that's what he gets paid for ultimately.

dmpoole said:
HOWEVER, can you explain what you mean when you said this -
Imagine if you wanted FM or DAB (or both) in each room. You'll have to refit a whole new lashing and bracket as yours isn't strong enough. Then you've got two feeds on the roof to contend with rather than one. You'll have to diplex then split the new signals so each feed get's a signal. That's half the signal gone before you've started. Then you'll have to bolt on a diplexer to your new cable runs which isn't going to be neat. This is assuming the amps you have will accept an input in the VHF range as well as UHF.

Then what if you want Sky feed to all the rooms? You're going to have to feed the Sky output into a 2 way amp which passes the RF voltage (for changing channel in any room). These outputs will have to run all the way to the two amps you installed previously. Then these two amps will need to be changed so they pass the RF voltage too. What tends to happens on houses wired like yours, is they get patched up and added to over the years until it's a total nighmare to go any further, then the whole lots has to be ripped out and done properly.

The best way is always one amp feeding all rooms. Anything can be fed into it easily (FM / DAB / SKY / CCTV images etc) and all rooms will have virtually identical signal levels. Agreed though that your invisible cabling stipulation makes this impossible unless you had the wires run down in the cavity walls. You can usually take a small part of the floorboards up and use rods to bring cables from the loft.

Anyway, this is all rather pointless now. You've got what you wanted and you're happy with it. Job done.

Man of Honour
carpmaster said:
unless the problem wasn't ghosting in the first place.

Ghosting was my words. The picture was excellent but there was something else in it !
He did know exactly what attenuator he wanted and gave me a handful for me to read on the side of them.

Thanks for the other explanation but I wouldn't have a use for it.
A couple of month ago I setup a Dreambox satellite system and a Pioneer DVR530 DVD recorder for someone and they must have had that system because all signals went into 4 different rooms and I couldn't work out how they did it.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Ghosting was my words. The picture was excellent but there was something else in it !
He did know exactly what attenuator he wanted and gave me a handful for me to read on the side of them.
Was the interference scrolling across the image? Sounds like over amping. If you turn the amp down then you can do without the attenuators.

Back
Top Bottom