What TV shows are you currently watching

Associate
I am a Killer (Netflix). Only on the third episode of series one, its definitely compelling viewing.

Its very well made, simply presents the facts from both sides, the convict on death row, the police and the victim's family. Some of the sentences when compared to UK law is an eyeopener (even when commuted).

Soldato
Just binged the series of 'Unforgotten' that finished this week on ITV. I still have no reason to change my opinion that this series is one of the very best UK crime dramas. I took ages to look at it because I though Sanjeev Bhaskar was just a comedic actor. He's not.

Edit: don't watch this series then catch up on the earlier series. It's not a complete deal breaker to watch this first, but... well, just take my word that you'll enjoy it better going the long way round.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am a Killer (Netflix). Only on the third episode of series one, its definitely compelling viewing.

Its very well made, simply presents the facts from both sides, the convict on death row, the police and the victim's family. Some of the sentences when compared to UK law is an eyeopener (even when commuted).

If you like shows like that then other suggestions are:

The Confession Tapes
The Staircase
Unsolved Mysteries
Mindhunter

If you haven't seen them already lol.

Associate
Just binged the series of 'Unforgotten' that finished this week on ITV. I still have no reason to change my opinion that this series is one of the very best UK crime dramas. I took ages to look at it because I though Sanjeev Bhaskar was just a comedic actor. He's not.

Edit: don't watch this series then catch up on the earlier series. It's not a complete deal breaker to watch this first, but... well, just take my word that you'll enjoy it better going the long way round.

We watched Unforgotten from the start but rewatched series 1-3 before watching series 4. Sanjeev is excellent in this but Nicola Walker is brilliant. There are so many "cop" series to watch on TV (I mean I like Line of Duty, it a great watch) but Unforgotten spins things a little differently, imo. The effect it has on Cassie over the series in investigating these cold cases is very well laid out.

I'll admit I was a bit emotional at the end of series 4 :(

I really hope they carefully consider how they do series 5.

Soldato
I really hope they carefully consider how they do series 5.
I'm hopeful that the clever, multi-layered cold case plot threading is the real star, but I agree Cassie is a keystone. He's writing the next series already, so time will tell.

As for the ending of this series... must admit I ended up getting a bit emotional about pretty much everyone's story in the end! It was very well crafted and acted across the board.

Soldato

Just started season 4 now, having previously watched the others.
The Unforgotten is indeed a most excellent and well acted series by both the main actors.

We have recently finished both seasons of The Hidden, bilingual Welsh and English police drama. That also is very good. They are making a third season and it is worth watching.

Also just watched the 4 episode drama, Bloodlands. Overall pretty decent, got kinda confused with it at times tho.

Soldato
@Vimes if you enjoyed Hidden I'd recommend Hinterland for more Welsh Noir. It was filmed in English then reshot in Welsh (apparently they did the scene in English first as not all the the crew were Welsh speakers so they knew what to expect when the actors were speaking Welsh).

We watched on Netflix in English but found an episode on YouTube in Welsh just to see.

Soldato
@nands Thanks, we will check those out. Appreciate the heads up.

Just read that a new season of Shetland will be shot soon, we liked the previous five seasons and forgot all about it.
Douglas Henshall plays the lead detective role, and does a very good job of it.

Last edited:
Associate
If you like shows like that then other suggestions are:

The Confession Tapes
The Staircase
Unsolved Mysteries
Mindhunter

If you haven't seen them already lol.

Thank you, never seen the first two and will add to the viewing list. I cant help but be drawn to these crime shows! :o:p

Mindhunter, I really enjoyed and then it got canned as I understand David Fincher was focussing on other projects. Shame as it was a popular series by all accounts.

Soldato
Thank you, never seen the first two and will add to the viewing list. I cant help but be drawn to these crime shows! :o:p

Mindhunter, I really enjoyed and then it got canned as I understand David Fincher was focussing on other projects. Shame as it was a popular series by all accounts.

I'm the same, I went through a phase of just watching loads of different crime shows lol. I couldn't remember the others that I had watched but they'll likely come up as a suggestion on the ones above lol.

Yeah was a shame about Mindhunter as I did really enjoy that. For fictional crime The Alienist is good if not already seen.

Soldato
Well I’m on S5 of Line of Duty. Still enjoying it immensely. Next up S5 Ep3
How did Kate leapfrog Steve to Inspector. It’s not explained. Previous season Steve is promised promotion, he has the time in rank and came in and led the team from a wheelchair. There better be a decent reason in the story and not just a contrivance by the writers.

Soldato
Fully caught up with For All Mankind and I've definitely come round to it, really enjoying it. I don't know what their plan is, but I notice they jumped 9 or 10 years between series 1 and 2, it could be really interesting if they did that each season and moved through current times and into the future by season 6 or 7 or something.

Soldato
Have got hooked on Younger after my boss recommended it. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have episode 1 of season 2 so I'm currently waiting on their reply to confirm when its added.

started The Flight Attendant and though I've only watched one episode so far, it seems promising :)

Soldato
Behind Her Eyes (Netflix)

Only gave this a go as it was recommended to me. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by this as it’s not really what the trailer or genre tags sell it as. It came across as being more of a Fatal Attraction thriller type of a film and it’s not, I have to say at a certain point the premise got a bit of an eye roll from me. I think this sort of thing might have worked as a book but this adaptation just seemed silly. The trying to make you think one thing was happening or that a particular person was the guilty party was so heavy handed that it was cringeworthy. The red herrings did slap you a bit too hard in the face :p

Once the whole astral projection thing was revealed you just know the murder was directly related and wouldn’t be the people they had been trying to lay the blame on. As soon as I saw the different colour ‘souls’ I quickly figured out what had happened. Then had to wait an episode and a half for the big ‘reveal’

Personally wouldn’t recommend it unless you were really stuck for something to watch. There is a lot of better stuff out there

Soldato
Finishes watching Season 4 of Unforgotten, as typical for this series the acting and stry is of the highest standards. Most excellent.
As mentioned earlier I would not start watching this season before the others....

Both of us were quite upset how this season concluded. For one of the main characters, Cassy, to die was not only totally unexpected but it does seem to conclude this excellent series, well at least with her being it. Life can be like that of course but we were looking forward to things improving between her and her father and finally be able to retire from her job. Her retirement, I suppose, could have brought this show to an end. But with very obvious differences.

I see that it is being remade for American TV, none of the UK actors are in the show. It is also retitled to "Suspects".

We have just watched the first episode of "The Irregulars". Understanding that it could have something to do with Sherlock Holmes we were surprised to find that it also contains a supernatural element. Only watched the first one but is does seem to have promise. The supernatural aspect, as well as "The Irregulars" solving most of the crimes, Sherlock takes the credit, is the premise of this series.

Associate
My current watch list: -

Clarice - Much better than I'd hoped for, they've done a great job with it and fingers crossed it continues.

Schitt's Creek - Took me a couple of episodes to get into it, didn't find it immediately funny but glad I stuck with it.

Seal Team - Started this only a few weeks a go as something to watch in the evenings whilst away on a course. Pleasantly surprised, very watchable with a decent enough back story. They clearly got something right as they managed 4 Seasons (74 episodes).

Still to watch list: -

Lupin
The Serpent (Last Episode)
The Undoing
Tapped
True Detective - Seasons 2 & 3
Zero Zero Zero
Line of Duty (Season 5, but think I'll rewatch Season 4, or at least the last couple of episodes)

Back
Top Bottom