What tyres would you recommend for an MG ZR?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments

The Toyo tyres ended up costing £90 each including VAT, balancing, fitting, etc. I went for the Toyo Proxes T1-R

I went with Guildford Tyre - they did a good job and they had them in stock which was nice - most other people were saying that they were special order products!

Soldato
Matt82 said:
premacy are nasty nasty tyres. get rid of them at the first excuse

How would you know? You can't even spell Primacy, let alone justify that comment. If they were that bad why are they fitted as standard to many luxury saloons?

Pilot Primacy are decent tyres and you can get them much cheaper than £120. They wear very well, are great in the wet and they give ride smoothly and run quietly. 205/55/16's for my last Mondeo were only about £75 a corner from Costco. I used to get 15k out of a set of fronts on the Mondeo (which is very heavy on front tyres) where Dunlop SP Sport 2000's only lasted 10k.

Soldato
blueboy2001 said:
How would you know? You can't even spell Primacy, let alone justify that comment. If they were that bad why are they fitted as standard to many luxury saloons?

Pilot Primacy are decent tyres and you can get them much cheaper than £120. They wear very well, are great in the wet and they give ride smoothly and run quietly. 205/55/16's for my last Mondeo were only about £75 a corner from Costco. I used to get 15k out of a set of fronts on the Mondeo (which is very heavy on front tyres) where Dunlop SP Sport 2000's only lasted 10k.

you noob.

the cars you often find them fitted to are dull repmobiles like your mondeo. they are cheap as chips, so being a noob you got ripped off at £75 a corner.

they lasted 15k on the fronts cos they are as hard as nails. this makes them complete turd because it tends to effect the handling somewhat. they are favourites on rep cars cos they need replacing less, a real poormans tyre. they are designed for costeffecivness, not to be a good tyre

my A4 came with those godawful michelins on the front, i binned them for Conti Sport Contacts. the difference was night and day.

if youre a cheap skate and want cheap tyres that do nothing more than make your car legal, then as noob up there states, they are they rokxxx

if you want a half decent tyre, youll do yourself a world of favours by buying almost anything else.

nice one noob, gonna tell us that slick50 is the best now?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ajgoodfellow said:
My Dad actually had those Goodyear tyres on his MGTF but he's just replaced them with the Toyo tyres (he had one GS-2 and one GS-3 and this was said to be the worst combination possible!)

He should be very careful...

My MG knowledge is poor but I'm pretty sure the MG-F is actually recommended by MG to be run on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 for the rear tyre only, for safety reasons. I cannot remember the exact reason but it was something to do with handling issues with regular tyres, and as a result, MG themselves insisted the car was fitted with GS-D2's.

I'm sure one of the proper Rover fans will be able to either confirm what I am saying, or confirm that it's a load of balls.

Yes, 1 D2 and 1 D3 is a very daft combination and possibly illegal, the treat patterns are different!

Man of Honour
Matt82 said:
you noob.

<rest snipped>

if youre a cheap skate and want cheap tyres that do nothing more than make your car legal, then as noob up there states, they are they rokxxx

if you want a half decent tyre, youll do yourself a world of favours by buying almost anything else.

nice one noob, gonna tell us that slick50 is the best now?

Please do not be so insulting to members of this forum. Your opinion differs to his and thats fine - but that is absolutely no reason to continually call him a 'noob', all it does is make you look silly and undermine your opinion :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Please do not be so insulting to members of this forum. Your opinion differs to his and thats fine - but that is absolutely no reason to continually call him a 'noob', all it does is make you look silly and undermine your opinion :)

yes officer ;) youll find up there that my poor speeling undermines my opinions.

i damn god for my dyslexia

Soldato
Matt82 said:
you noob.

If you say so, although I'm not sure what qualifies you to judge.

Michelin Pilot Primacy aren't standard fit on the Mondeo - they generally come with Goodyear NCT5's.

Cheap as chips? Where can you get them from for under £75 a corner for 205/55/16? Michelin tyres are never cheap. I could have had any of the big brands for the same or less - how does that make me a cheapskate?

As for Conti Sport Contacts being like night and day - I've got 225/40/18 Conti Sport Contact 2's on my current car and they'll be getting swapped for something else very soon.

You haven't got a clue. I don't use Slick 50 as PTFE is not something that should be used in an internal combustion engine.

Soldato
blueboy2001 said:
As for Conti Sport Contacts being like night and day - I've got 225/40/18 Conti Sport Contact 2's on my current car and they'll be getting swapped for something else very soon.

change them to primacys and then youll be able to comment. a couple of the local kwik fits seem to have them on special offer lately. youll have special vague steering, understeer and a special lack of grip that you get with special plastic tyres ;)

you seem to love them, horses for courses then

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
He should be very careful...

My MG knowledge is poor but I'm pretty sure the MG-F is actually recommended by MG to be run on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 for the rear tyre only, for safety reasons. I cannot remember the exact reason but it was something to do with handling issues with regular tyres, and as a result, MG themselves insisted the car was fitted with GS-D2's.

I'm sure one of the proper Rover fans will be able to either confirm what I am saying, or confirm that it's a load of balls.

Yes, 1 D2 and 1 D3 is a very daft combination and possibly illegal, the treat patterns are different!

It was like that when he bought the car - he mentioned that it was rather twitchy and unpredictable

The problem is that the D2s are out of production - on the MG forums the Toyos were recommended as being great tyres (you're right about the specific requirements though!) :)

Back
Top Bottom