What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Guys, I am totally losing the plot over the Speedy.

As I see it - the Hesalite is the one to go for. Sapphire would never cut the mustard in space. There is the old Speedy for £4200ish (movement 1861, manual) versus the new one for £5200ish (movement 3861). Is the 3861 really worth it? I guess it is the "first 3861" movement and has the co-axial movement... but it is an extra grand.

I also looked at the Speedy 57 but the one I really want is the old-logo version that came out in 2017. There is one or two for 5k on Chrono24...

Anyone have good guidance?

Soldato
I prefer the warmth of the hesalite, personally. Regret selling mine.

I got mine a few years back second hand for 2k - not an uncommon occurrence back then! I couldn't pay what they're asking these days, as a few months back they were still discounting 'in store' by up to 20%.

If I buy again, I'll be putting much more money in and it'll be vintage. It's a minefield of scammers and frankenwatches, but they're visually gorgeous.

Soldato
I prefer the warmth of the hesalite, personally. Regret selling mine.

I got mine a few years back second hand for 2k - not an uncommon occurrence back then! I couldn't pay what they're asking these days, as a few months back they were still discounting 'in store' by up to 20%.

If I buy again, I'll be putting much more money in and it'll be vintage. It's a minefield of scammers and frankenwatches, but they're visually gorgeous.
I think I'll go for the old hesalite version then. Wish me luck asking for a cheeky discount.

Are you planning on going into space soon with your purchase on your wrist :o
I mean, it's literally famous for being the moonwatch. Seems daft to get one clearly not able to go to the moon! But yes I do feel a bit rediculous saying that :p

Man of Honour
Guys, I am totally losing the plot over the Speedy.

As I see it - the Hesalite is the one to go for. Sapphire would never cut the mustard in space. There is the old Speedy for £4200ish (movement 1861, manual) versus the new one for £5200ish (movement 3861). Is the 3861 really worth it? I guess it is the "first 3861" movement and has the co-axial movement... but it is an extra grand.

I also looked at the Speedy 57 but the one I really want is the old-logo version that came out in 2017. There is one or two for 5k on Chrono24...

Anyone have good guidance?
Holy fek is that what they are going for now? I bought a used 30th anniversary edition a few years ago (1861 movement) for way, way, way less than that. I'm never going to sell it for these reasons:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/29297375/

But nice to know I haven't lost money on it. Hesalite for me. I've sratched the "glass" in the past and marks just polish out. I honestly love my speedmaster. I also think it looks nicer.

:p
But how would that be useful to astronauts?!
Obviously nothing to do with the glass back. But the chronograph on the speedy was used to time the manual Apollo 13 burn on the way back to earth.

Soldato
Holy fek is that what they are going for now? I bought a used 30th anniversary edition a few years ago (1861 movement) for way, way, way less than that. I'm never going to sell it for these reasons:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/29297375/

But nice to know I haven't lost money on it. Hesalite for me. I've sratched the "glass" in the past and marks just polish out. I honestly love my speedmaster. I also think it looks nicer.

Obviously nothing to do with the glass back. But the chronograph on the speedy was used to time the manual Apollo 13 burn on the way back to earth.
Great story on your purchase! Very heart warming. :cool: there definitely couldn't have been a better watch.

Man of Honour
Great story on your purchase! Very heart warming. :cool: there definitely couldn't have been a better watch.

You'll love the speedy. It is such a versatile watch. You can wear it with everything; dressing it up or down with the bracelet, leather straps or nato straps.

Soldato

You'll love the speedy. It is such a versatile watch. You can wear it with everything; dressing it up or down with the bracelet, leather straps or nato straps.
It is an absolute strap monster, everything works with it. Though some say that excludes the stock bracelet!

The new variant does have a lovely looking bracelet. But that price hike is hard to digest.

I need to stop looking at Speedy Pros as I've another GS arriving soon. Older Speedys will probably only go one direction in price though, which is why looking now feels like a saving!

Soldato
It is an absolute strap monster, everything works with it. Though some say that excludes the stock bracelet!

The new variant does have a lovely looking bracelet. But that price hike is hard to digest.

I need to stop looking at Speedy Pros as I've another GS arriving soon. Older Speedys will probably only go one direction in price though, which is why looking now feels like a saving!
I know it is probably a swear word in most circles, but EJ seem to have quite a stock of the older ones. Have them calling me tomorrow to see if they'll do a deal.

Soldato
I know it is probably a swear word in most circles, but EJ seem to have quite a stock of the older ones. Have them calling me tomorrow to see if they'll do a deal.
I wouldn't hold your breath - they did a big discounted sale of those a few weeks back, but honoured only a small fraction of the purchases. It was apparently a supply issue due to covid, but they were still letting people buy them and then telling them they had no stock later on.

Hopefully you fare better!

Soldato
I wouldn't hold your breath - they did a big discounted sale of those a few weeks back, but honoured only a small fraction of the purchases. It was apparently a supply issue due to covid, but they were still letting people buy them and then telling them they had no stock later on.

Hopefully you fare better!
Ah good to know.

I've just been offered a minter (30 days old) for £3.5k delivered... payment by Credit Card to a LTD company so all reasonably respectable/secure.

Do I bite?

Soldato
There is a Sapphire one for £4300 - just over a year old!

Hmm Ive been offered one brand new for £4400 if I was to buy it outright. Seems a decent saving from the £5k advertised but was hoping to pay closer to 4. The used watches seem no cheaper.

Just had my first son so was hoping to get a nice timepiece to hand on in 30 years or so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah good to know.

I've just been offered a minter (30 days old) for £3.5k delivered... payment by Credit Card to a LTD company so all reasonably respectable/secure.

Do I bite?
That's sounding a very good price indeed for buying from a shop. The big box suitcase sets reach over that on the second hand market on a forum I'm on, and I'm assuming the one you're being offered is one of those given the age?

Soldato
That's sounding a very good price indeed for buying from a shop. The big box suitcase sets reach over that on the second hand market on a forum I'm on, and I'm assuming the one you're being offered is one of those given the age?
It would have been. Missed out by a few hours though this morning :(

Waiting for EJ to give me a call later.

Back
Top Bottom