What watch do you wear?

Associate
I bought myself a classic Casio watch, the A-168WA. Thought it was cool in a retro way, as I used to wear them as a kid in the 80s and early 90s.

Then I bump into an article about how its one of the watches terrorists used and in the USA you might even be considered suspicious if seen with it. Great. (I'm already olive skinned and often let my beard grow...)

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2011/apr/28/casio-f-91w-watch-design-hipsters-al-qaida

A168WA-01.jpg

Soldato
Patek Philippe do nothing for me. I've tried several on (only the Calatrava, Nautilus and another that I can't remember) and I really don't get on with them. I get that they are superbly made, have a deep history of watchmaking etc; but when you look at A Lange and Sohne, JLC, even Glashutte Original, they have more of an impact for me and are just as well made. I'd probably take a JLC over a PP.
When you get to a certain price point then they start to really impress me.

What price do these watches cover? I saw one that looked really nice, then did a quick google and it was like $800k+ :eek::eek:

This is the one:

Obr5REE.jpg

I don't know much about watches so wasn't really expecting it to be the best part of a million, unless it was some kind of place holder price?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't be surprised, like above though as well, PP do nothing for me, just too much extra bling for the sake of being shiny in my eyes. Guess I'm more a fan of minimal and functional/industrial styles.

In other news the strap has got its curves now, the first hole that I'm using has also started to crease in slightly on the surrounding leather from where the buckle presses against it, you can feel it but not see it. Point of no return now :p

rps20130801_130927_432.jpg

Dem curves etc.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
watch.jpg

watch3.jpg

My new cheapy skeleton! Removed the dark brown "leather" strap it came with, and swapped the light brown real leather strap that i had on my Skyhawk AT. Decided that the AT really did not suit the lighter colour.

So, it now looks like this..
watch2.jpg

Will do for a while till i get a black hirsch with red stitching :)

However, today, I will be mostly wearing this:
watch7.jpg

Moving a load of stuff about in the office, and decided that a hardier wear was required :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I am "watching" something :p

As always. The guy never got back to me about that PAM, not really surprised!! Haha a 12k watch for 600quid, would probably have been a massive bargain. Too good to be true and all that.

Saying that, I was outbid on a Zenith Elite ultra thin yesterday. The guy had high feedback, sold loads of iPhones and iPads (probably dodgy) but it had papers and box too. Worth like 2k and sold for 600. Love missing these!

Caporegime
I am "watching" something :p

As always. The guy never got back to me about that PAM, not really surprised!! Haha a 12k watch for 600quid, would probably have been a massive bargain. Too good to be true and all that.

Saying that, I was outbid on a Zenith Elite ultra thin yesterday. The guy had high feedback, sold loads of iPhones and iPads (probably dodgy) but it had papers and box too. Worth like 2k and sold for 600. Love missing these!

Why would anyone sell something "worth" 12k for 600? or 2K for 600 for that matter?

Thought these high end watches were meant to keep their value not depreciate?

Soldato
Why would anyone sell something "worth" 12k for 600? or 2K for 600 for that matter?

Thought these high end watches were meant to keep their value not depreciate?

I don't think they would want them to go for that amount. The Panerai was so obviously a dodgy auction, hence the reason I didn't pay without receiving details from the owner, who never contacted. Auctions are as such, if they're at times when people miss them, they don't hit what they could.

If you buy from reputable sources, they do.

Soldato
You normally can't...

They go for like 6-8k euros! The item was mis-labeled WC, not IWC, but checked his history, and although it's the highest value item he's sold, comes with box and papers and he's been on since 2011, so felt OK bidding.

Soldato
I looked at that link and he had no photos of the supposed box and papers. I would never buy a watch off ebay for that value unless he verified that the serial matches the papers and provided me photos of the matching numbers. He can't even spell the auction title correctly!!!

No one sells a second hand Portuguese for £1600. Come on man, you must be able to spot these by now :p

Back
Top Bottom