What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Done a whoopsie on ebay

Found a Seiko Divers, which had been slightly modded by the owner.
Found a Bremont Supermarine 301 with a few Bremont straps spare. (I LOVE the Supermarine).

Put in a cheeky low ball bid's for each of them and ended up winning them both!

Man of Honour
Found my old Casio Illuminator in a draw. Hadn’t seen it for 5 years. Never changed the batteries and bought in 2011. Still going with the correct time. Phwoar! What a beast!

Man of Honour
Found my old Casio Illuminator in a draw. Hadn’t seen it for 5 years. Never changed the batteries and bought in 2011. Still going with the correct time. Phwoar! What a beast!

Pics!

Which one ? The Panda ?

I've got my eye on about 15 different watches at the moment, just can't decide and with buying 3 in the last 2 months I'm trying to behave because I really want to buy another lens (bought my Macro lens yesterday)

Was choosing between the Panda 1964 and the slate grey colour but I think the slate grey just has that dial texture that looks more higher end up close in photos online. Could not find anywhere online showing both side by side though sadly so the choice has been mostly based on marketing images so let's see how it looks in reality!

https://danhenrywatches.com/products/1964-gran-turismo-chronograph

Soldato
The finish on the slate dial looks great, shame the case isn't PVD would look pretty epic all black!

I've actually been wearing my pacman by the way, kind of gotten used to the smallness of it and it's not as bad as I first thought, one thing I don't like though is the bracelet and its closing mechanism plus the tail that hangs underneath so I ordered a new metal bracelet off aliexpress, hoping it's more comfortable as I like the watch more now I've grown to it

Man of Honour
PVD would look cool I guess yep but the mostly brushed finish I think works well. I might stick a rubber strap on it likely a Tropik style one if I can find a colour that goes with. 19mm lugs though so might be a mission unless I gently shave down down a 20mm strap at the lug end 1mm.

Link to the bracelet?

Soldato
So, found a nice Orient Star for sale... couple of days left, but really good price. Don't get much love but they're huge for the money! Quality on them is blinding. I bought one a while ago for 300 and sold it for 800. Wish I hadn't in a way as it was amazingly nice, but that bought me my Oris, so might sell that at some point as I have a couple of other things I'd love.
I still have this Breitling SuperOcean itch I need to scratch and think if I sell the Oris I might just be able to get a super ocean if I get the right deal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tudor-Gr...tem289bf2c855:g:474AAOSwIitfF0ID&LH_Auction=1

This is a steal at 1k too. 2010 model, not massively popular but a great watch and going for about 2k for the most part normally. Would be a good one to sit on for a bit.

Soldato
this used to be a past time lol I love doing that... dammit I have an hour before a meeting... *goes to eBay*

It has been quite an emotional roller-coaster so far, and a nice dilemma to have. Still, I cant count until it's in my hands.
Watchfinder had a sale on the Bremont S301's recently for around £2.2/2.3k. I'm very tempted to wear it a little and then flip it when they aren't discounting them.

Caporegime
Done a whoopsie on ebay

Found a Seiko Divers, which had been slightly modded by the owner.
Found a Bremont Supermarine 301 with a few Bremont straps spare. (I LOVE the Supermarine).

Put in a cheeky low ball bid's for each of them and ended up winning them both!

That Bremont you bought was a steal. If I had spotted that I would have bought it.

Man of Honour
gCNbgwF.jpg

Grand Seiko just announced their new all mechanical movement, the T0 Tourbillion, a Constant Force with Tourbillon!
The most accurate mechanical movement ever produced, period.

0.5s a day accuracy :eek:

And a bit of scope as someone posted on Reddit:

For decades, maybe centuries, the swiss held observatory trials for pocket watches. It devolved into a contest somewhat divorced from actual watches in a way similar to race car homologization.

https://museum.seiko.co.jp/en/uploads/index_ph02 (3) (1).jpg

https://www.christies.com/img/LotIm...te_competition_chronometer_wristwatch_mo).jpg

https://www.watchprosite.com/omega/...als-and-precision-records/677.358702.2205377/

Not only did seiko win the swiss observatory trials, seiko put an end to the swiss observatory trials.

Apparently 0.04 seconds per day... in ~1967.

It's interesting.

So, before computers, I like to think of watches as the mechanical marvels of their day.

For instance, in the count of monte cristo, someone is held captive, but they're rich, so they have a watch with an hour repeater.

There was a national prize to make a ship chronometer, which would enable precise naval transportation, it was even used by aircraft into the 1930s and 1940s. B-29s had many navigation systems, but one of them was probably similar to the naval chronometer.

So the UK government promised anyone instant wealth if they designed a precise naval chronometer (then they jerked around the person that actually did it, John Harrison?)

Anyway, so one "trick" that chronometers, both naval and pocket watch chronometers, and maybe even wristwatch chronometers would use is to have a mechanism that keeps the watch in a "sweet spot" of the mainspring. The mainspring force, typically, is more reliable from, say, 10% wind to 90% wind, and in the extremes, when it's fully wound or almost unwound it's force is not as precise/accurate.

Then automatic watches are introduced. Now watches are being wound continuously through the day.

I've read that automatic watch mainsprings are designed so that they're more constant when they're almost fully wound.

I don't know the details.

Also, there's the bregeut overcoil at the end of the hairspring.

https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/uploads/tx_news/glossary_001020-001.jpg

But there's also an overcoil that can be used at the beginning of the hairspring. The Lossier curve https://imgur.com/uTh8iKM.jpg

It's really interesting to learn about the details. Apparently the seiko astronomical observatory movement had a steel hairspring, rather than the fancy ones you can get with for instance eta movements.

Remarkable really, and to top it all off, all Grand Seikos are finished by hand inside and out.

Any guesses as to the price of a GS with this movement? Keep in mind a Credor with normal movement costs something like £50k :p

Back
Top Bottom