What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Quite possibly. Well if you buy with a credit card then you have the ability to get your money back if something does happen so go for it :cool:

Laco confirmed today that my Aachen is ready to ship as engraving has been finished. Should be here in a few days. Exciting times!

Soldato
It's more the authorised dealer warranty I've got concerns about. But as they come stamped etc and they themselves buy from an AD not sure what the issue is?

Tried on the Tag Carrera Chrono 44 black and gold, "wow" came out my mouth, wasn't expecting to like something so blingy but kept getting drawn to pictures online.

Soldato
Great little win that!

I'll happily admit that in no way is it 'worth' £500, its just simply the guy who's got it up for that price has a job lot of new old stock of several watches of that era and he's looking to cash in. Who can blame him really! The sad thing is earlier on last week i was looking at the dial with the red hour marker and the 'skeleton' dial versions, both for £54 so i would have the 'colleciton' but that's not going to happen any more. I'm sure i saw a video on youtube reviewing the watch and it had the original price tag still on it and it was from memory £195 back in the late 80s so not really a cheap quartz watch back then.

Soldato
I'll happily admit that in no way is it 'worth' £500, its just simply the guy who's got it up for that price has a job lot of new old stock of several watches of that era and he's looking to cash in. Who can blame him really! The sad thing is earlier on last week i was looking at the dial with the red hour marker and the 'skeleton' dial versions, both for £54 so i would have the 'colleciton' but that's not going to happen any more. I'm sure i saw a video on youtube reviewing the watch and it had the original price tag still on it and it was from memory £195 back in the late 80s so not really a cheap quartz watch back then.
Yea, I get that. I think that about a lot of limited edition / branded/ watches. Thing is, demand raises in certain circumstances like a death. There was a slight surge in interest for the Schumacher Speedy when he had his accident as well... and I personally think they're the ugliest, but you know.

Man of Honour
dial_MX-Master3.jpg

ar-tones.gif
wristshot-gif.gif

engraving-2.jpg

caseback.jpg

Laco Aachen arrived today. Have to say for a little over £400 it's got great fit and finish. Also unlike the first gen models that had a polished case back frame, the new ones are brushed to match the rest of the case.

I chose the optional double side AR coating and Laco 31 movement which is the Miyota 8315 (60 hours reserve, more decoration) and the original Flieger designation code engraving on the side.

The lume on Type-B dial Fliegers is rather impressive. It only lasts at full brightness for a few mins but then fades to a dim glow. Looks cool walking indoors from daylight :cool:

The stock strap is rather thick, I am not a fan of leather straps and also don't like the button rivets so bought a Joseph Bonnie tropic strap (silicone version this time as that's all that is available in 18mm lug sizes) and think it looks great on the watch. Might change the buckle to a brushed 16mm buckle too just so it's all in sync.

There is a ghost position on the crown, it does hack too which is a mod Laco put into both movements on this range.

The AR coating is brilliant, more eye catching than the AR coating on my NOMOS Ahoi Atlantik in fact. The job sheet says it has 10 layers of AR on the front, and 3 layers on the underside :eek:

Honestly am blown away by the quality for this price. Glad I chose the upgrades too as the AR hue adds an extra level of cool factor, and functional too. Always felt the non AR coated sapphires look a bit flat.

The winding rotor is not as noisy as the Baltic's 9039 movement though likely because it's a skeleton rotor vs the 9039's solid piece. This does not freewheel as easily either. Hand winding this movement is rather nice, lots of friction and resonance. Crown is not screw down.

That's it so far... Accuracy being measured over a full week.

Associate
Compared to a Type-B, definitely yeah :D

Otherwise I like clean dials in general, so not too many numbers/markings (unless it's a chronometer, obviously).

Man of Honour
I too am a fan of clean dials on otherwise watches that clutter the dial when it's totally not necessary to do so (Tudor/Rolex for example with their essay spec sheets listed on the dials) or Breitling and their distasteful to my eyes dial designs :p

A Flieger however if design for purpose and that kind of design I am always cool with as it's there to do a job and it just so happens to look really cool, especially with the lume :cool:

Man of Honour
Tissot is rather nice, not seen that one before, details of specs etc?

I fixed the Cognit Schema today. By a rare chance was browsing eBay and found one guy selling a dark grey translucent one in Turkey for £48. It looked to be in used condition but he had recently replaced the battery and strap with new ones. All I wanted was the module though as you may recall I posted about the EL backlight dying on my green one and no watch repair place anywhere on the web wanted to try fix it because parts for module 1475 are non existent as they only used this module in the Cognit Schema.

eyRpav8.jpg

Anyway it arrived today and it was in better condition than the seller photos suggested but the green version is definitely finished better, the crystal is more flat and nicer looking for starters and the case finish on mine is more matte whereas the grey has a satin sheen to it.

Donor_Module.jpg

The AIA symbol behind the display is different to my original one, looks like Casio used different collaboration symbols related to each discipline on the Cognit Schema range instead of the same symbols for every collaboration, pretty neat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

I love that people still wear a watch.

It is fine it is a thing. It is thee most useless thing ever made as a decoration. Hmmm we could argue a watch with hands can be used as a compass. But a compass would literally be far more effective than a watch. Ever.
I just mean in the fashion and prestige and rating of the object has got to insane proportions. Insane values.

For something that is almost pointless in time. The irony of it I love it.
I am an old fella. I stopped wearing a watch when i was I think 10 ish. Nearly 40 years with no watch. You can amaze people when out on a hike telling them what time it is by the light of the day.

To be fair if I had a job or needed timing in the job I would have a cheeky casio if the company paid for it!

Man of Honour
It is one of those funny pieces of personal EDC, the extent varies greatly between each person too. Some people have to buy certain shoes or brand clothing, the same applies to watches. Whilst I had watches growing up, (all Casio digitals no less hence the recent purchases of the nostalgic classics).

Personally I am not too fussed about movement, cost, brand etc. If I like it I'll probably try it out and when bored, move on to something else. Although now I think I have found something I really like with these two watches so am gonna keep them for the long haul I think.

On a side note, straps, I've ordered a Hirsche PURE natural rubber strap for the Laco and a few 16mm brushed stainless steel vintage thick buckles to match the watch case as the Hirsche one is polished. The Silicone Tropic is nice so will keep it on rotation but silicone just cannot match up against the natural vulcanised rubber ones as that's what I have on the other watch so need a natural rubber on the Laco too and have found that it's actually very difficult to find high quality straps in 18mm size that match the styles I am a fan of.

Looking forward to it though, quick release bars and vanilla smell on a strap is just great :cool:

Associate
I am obsessed with my Jacque Lemans watch is style Rome. I have it for a few years now and I just love it. It is a perfect gift for ladies!

Back
Top Bottom