What wireless solution for distributing Virgin 500Mbps?

Associate
I recently bumped up Virgin speed to 500Mbps but struggling to see much of the benefit apart from at the router in the lounge via ethernet.

I'd be grateful fo any suggestions as to what equipment would help seeing as much of that speed as possible in as much of my flat as possible. Although not big, the flat is long and the bedroom is surrounded by quite thick walls which sees signal drop of quite considerably with the Time Capsule I'm current using as a router.

I've experimented with a basic S4 mesh system, just using one of the slave units, but don't see much more than 75Mbps.

Wondering about potentially trying a trip-band mesh system, wi-fi 6, and/or a more premium high-end single router by the modem, but concerned with the latter about signal strength?

Unfortunately ethernet is not an option; hence the wireless solutions.

Thanks

Soldato
Wire as much of your flat as possible. You don't have to drill through or into walls or anything. Just route the cables around the edge of the carpet and around and under the doors.

Associate
OP
Re wiring, unfortunately it is not an option. Trust me, I understand it is a compromised solution.

I have actually tried an AV600 Powerline adaptor kit I had to create an ethernet backhaul between the main S4 acting as router (cabled to modem, so at full speed) and an S4 unit in the bedroom. The ethernet backhaul is recognised in the app menu, but the speed when connected to the S4 in the bedroom is only 30-40Mbps, so I think it points to the wiring being a bit unsuited to powerline. Not sure if the AV1300/2000 standards would offer anything other than a relative increase which still wouldn't be great?

The 75Mbps I get at the moment in the bedroom is from an S4 as a second unit in the kitchen, which is approximately halfway between the lounge and bedroom.

Soldato
With tplink mesh. It's strongly advised to ethernet back haul each deco unit. At my location unless each M4 Deco is hardwired to a switch/router the mesh is bad. I have lead or something in my walls that wifi just doesn't pass well at all. 4 decks all hardwired solved my issues and I relatively close to my 500 Meg virgin fine on WiFi

Last edited:
Associate
Wiring all day long. I get incredible speeds over Wifi5 but it’s a shame you can’t cable it.

I therefore would only recommend something with a dedicated wifi6 backhaul. You may just about get 500-600Mbps over that providing there isn’t too many users simultaneously transmitting

Permabanned
Wifi 6 is probably the only option wirelessly to max that bandwidth, if you really need to, my heavy downloading is done on a small server boxed which is wired.

I use ac wireless with mine and I get roughly 300mb on my PC.

Associate
OP
After a bit of research, I purchased an asus rt-ax86u.

Getting full 500Mbps plus on desktop via router near wireless and ~250Mbps in bedroom via 5GHZ, which will do for me for now.

Hopefully when I have some Wifi 6 clients it will be even more consistent.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom