1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do with criminals, given *any* technology?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Jumpingmedic, 23 Jan 2006.

1. Jumpingmedic

Wise Guy

Assuming nothing was beyond your control when it came to dealing with criminals how would you treat them?

Not much more explanation needed really.. but a few examples: go back in time and prevent them from becoming criminals, alter their brain so they no longer want to commit crimes, send them to a dimension where they'd feel nothing but pain (hell), kill them outright.

Would the punishment be the same for all criminals?

I'm not sure what debate I'm trying to start here... perhaps it'll come to me after a few replies.

2. Visage

PermaBanned

I think the most ethical way would be to go back in time, find out what it was that led to them deciding to do something outside of what society deems acceptable, and remove that trigger.

3. anarchist

PermaBanned

The trouble with that approach is that it means changing history and so "fixing" one person's past could well have knock-on effects that could wreck ten other people's pasts.

I'd go with fixing the person's brain today, tweak the neurons such that the person won't want to kill again.

4. |Ric|

Hitman

Give them military service

(no technology required)

5. Jumpingmedic

Wise Guy

Teach them how to kill more effectively? Novel approach.. but ok

6. Orcish-Horde

Mobster

Why not just hang them and be done with?

7. Killerkebab

Sgarrista

No, he means make them a part of a more constructive goal. There's no bigger team than the military, and teaching them some discipline hardly sounds like a bad idea :)

8. perplex

Gangster

Because then the problem would be solved and that is not what society likes to do. They like to make things more complicated and waste time instead.

9. William

Capodecina

Criminals have to be rehabilitated by their own effort (I think the armed forces is an excellent idea), it may not work all the time, but otherwise the technology to extensively control people's behaviour will move to the law abiding populace.

10. n3vrmind

Wise Guy

Attach a robotic arm to their side, everytime they commit a crime it punches them in the face

11. Sanzy

Banned

Send The to the Hades Galaxy

12. Orcish-Horde

Mobster

So very true.

13. |Ric|

Hitman

I had images of them walking around in the freezing mountains of Pakistan helping with aid efforts. No guns. No where to run :)

Last edited: 24 Jan 2006
  14. Baker

PermaBanned

Agree with this person and also the person he/she quoted.

15. Cueball

Wise Guy

That's soooooooooo 1600's! :rolleyes:

I'd opt for a technology like in the film Minority Report. Predict crime before it even happens.

Or....

I'd say we take a leaf out of Stallin's book--use criminals as moving targets on a live fire target range....for tanks.

I can see it now:

"Here's a Skoda. If you can make it from one side of Salisbury plain to the other alive, you can go free. Oh, fyi, half of the armoured corps is after you in their Challenger 2 MBTs."

16. Dingo

Banned

All far too costly and wasteful.......grind them down for pies and feed the thirld world....and with the money saved from the prison system we could send them the two veg and potatoes to go with the pies.....FEED THE WORLD! :)

17. Orcish-Horde

Mobster

It worked in the 1600 till the 1950s the problems we see today started in the 1950/60s. Around the time we stoped hanging them.

18. anarchist

PermaBanned

It didn't work for all the innocent people we hanged of course ;)

19. FTM

Soldato

excellent idea..end world poverty and free up overcrowded cells!

20. wordy

Soldato

I'd shrink them all to 1/3rd of their orignial size so we can fit more beds in a cell.

Voila Prison overcrowding sorted. So no need to give lesser sentences due to prison overcrowding :D