What would you do with this extra area of grass outside your house?

Associate
Definitely someones failure in planning if they end up with 4 cars and 2 parking spaces. Not entirely sure I'd put the blame on the estate designer.

I didn't...I put it on the planners. They're the ones dictating policy and parking spaces per habitable room etc. It's a huge problem in new estates.

Soldato
I didn't...I put it on the planners. They're the ones dictating policy and parking spaces per habitable room etc. It's a huge problem in new estates.

True but it's still outsourcing the blame of buying 4 cars when you know full well you have 2 parking spaces.

Not to mention, you're asking for house prices to be substantially increased.

Caporegime
True but it's still outsourcing the blame of buying 4 cars when you know full well you have 2 parking spaces.

Not to mention, you're asking for house prices to be substantially increased.

People don't care. The guy across from me has 10-15 vehicles and parks only one of them on his driveway. A lot of them are company vehicles and everyone in his family works for him bar his wife as cash in hand for extra pocket money or as their main income.

Then you have our old place. There was a mechanic who would in his spare time buy up cars that have been in crashes for peanuts. Fix them up and sell them on. Also doing homers and he regularly had 3-4 cars that couldn't be driven parked up using all the street spacing.

The guy across the road has earmarked all 4 visitor spaces as his own now. Nobody else gets to use them and he even double parks across them too.

There has to be a limit brought in. Or hopefully when everything goes electric and he has charging issues they will reduce.

Soldato
Well that's just people being scum and exploiting every resource they can.

Only solution for that is inviting in a parking company to force everyone to play nice.

Soldato
Council not adopting the grass from the developer... another cheap out on new build estates again. I bet you have to pay one of those yearly maintenance charges too and extra on your gas bill for the private gas pipes. I'd never buy new build these days.

Soldato
Council not adopting the grass from the developer... another cheap out on new build estates again. I bet you have to pay one of those yearly maintenance charges too and extra on your gas bill for the private gas pipes. I'd never buy new build these days.

ah yes, the ‘estate charge’.

if they can’t fleece you with leasehold houses (an appalling practice), then it’s doubling ground rents and massive service charges for some gardening.

Soldato
We pay an estate charge and it's actually quite reasonable. I don't personally see a huge benefit to it, but it's £29 a month so it doesn't kill me. They have provided a spreadsheet detailing where the money is spent, and do an annual review such that the price has actually gone down each year. At the end of 2020, I got a letter saying they owed me £100 etc.

Not wonderful, but also not as painful as many think it might be.

Nor do I have to pay for private gas pipes. My energy bills are very low as a consequence of owning a new house.

Soldato
ah yes, the ‘estate charge’.

if they can’t fleece you with leasehold houses (an appalling practice), then it’s doubling ground rents and massive service charges for some gardening.

I see you're in favour of communal areas of new builds having shared ownership with all works and payment to get works done sorted by armed combat.

Soldato
I see you're in favour of communal areas of new builds having shared ownership with all works and payment to get works done sorted by armed combat.

lol! Clearly reasonable charges for communal areas, lighting, maintenance, cleaning etc are appropriate.

I was blatantly referring to unreasonable charges which are rife (I deal with this situation daily in my profession) and ones that lessees are forced to suck up usually due to a lack of knowledge or experience as to what is appropriate.

when you say ‘shared ownership’ I assume you are referring to ‘shared freehold’ or a ‘share of the freehold company’ in which the lessees do indeed pay into a sinking fund or similar thus avoiding the appointment of management companies freeing them up to organise their own maintenance and costs?

if that is indeed what you are correctly referring to then yes, I do support this method of building maintenance as it much better manages costs on a not for profit basis whilst management companies, understandably aim to make profit - often quite out of balance with the actual cost of the work they do. This is hardly news or rocket science.

I am not aware of any armed combat having taken place in shared ownership properties. Kindly enlighten me as it sounds shocking.

Soldato
Perhaps "ownership" is incorrect.

I have previously lived in a house on a private road and despite it falling to pieces the ~15 households on this road were unwilling to come to agreement to arrange repairs or pay for said repairs. Closest anyone came was when someone built a new house on this road, filled the holes with crushed stone and called it a day.

An agreement beforehand with a company or not when it comes to having responsibility for shared areas avoids such farce.

Back
Top Bottom