1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's best way to backup before format & install windows xp?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by barnettgs, 16 Feb 2006.

1. barnettgs

Mobster

My files in My Documents is about 16GB. I have firefox and messages in outlook express. I haven't format my computer for over one and half years and I think it's time to do reformat & fresh install.

I know there is File & Settings Transfer Wizards but with 16GB, is second HDD only way to do? I don't have any spare HDD at the moment.

What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance

2. bledd

Don

do you have a dvdrw?

www.7zip.org

try compressing your mydocs with 7zip in 7zultra compression

3. barnettgs

Mobster

Yeah, I have it & Nero 6.6.

4. bluesouljah

Hitman

For the future, partition or spare drive and just copy my docs, export a pst from outlook and copy favourites and gamesaves to a directory on that partition or alternate drive, it's what I do.

Cheers,

SoulJah

5. -<=[Tw18]=>-

Wise Guy

how about partition the drive using partion magic or similar, moving the data to the partion, and then installing XP fresh on the original partition?

6. Pinkeyes

Wise Guy

I tend to just copy the whole of the C Drive onto a spare disk - or (usually) I upgrade the disk anyway - so my current C Drive just becomes my D Drive.

I then import the mail, copy the docs I want, archive the rest to blank CDs/DVDs.

I find this really useful - you install an app and need your settings, config details etc from when you used to have it - well they will be in D:\Program files\app name
    After I havent touched the D Drives data in a few months, I delete it.

7. Dan G

Hitman

And if you've got any encrypted files, for the love of whatever don't forget to decrypt them first or export and backup your keys.... unlike me :p

8. barnettgs

Mobster

Thanks for some replies.

My second HDD of 20GB broke down a couple of years ago so I thought there might be other way to backup but it's obvious that I need to buy a cheap 2nd HDD for ease of backup rather than taking too long buring to some DVDs.

At the moment, I already have two partitions on one 120 GB drive - C drive has 20GB but sometimes it needs defragmenting more often than needed due to lack of free space.

Cheers

9. Jeff Crawly

PermaBanned

This is one of many reason's why one should only have the OS on a C: partition.
    USE partitions in future!!