1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats component do I need?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by chipperhead, 3 Feb 2006.

1. chipperhead

Mobster

I'm moving my business to a new premise were I'll have a computer in an office environment.
    I would also like to access the same computer though from the shop floor so I can see and edit orders and check my email etc without leaving the shop floor.
    Do I just need a graphics card that can output to two monitors and some kind of mouse and keyboard cable splitter or is it a bit more complicated than this and need some kind of dedicated hardware?

Cheers.

2. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Will it physically need to be the same PC, or will there be a PC in the office and another on the shop floor?

If the former, then look at an IP enabled KVM or a Cat5 KVM extender. Running video cables any significant length will knacker the signal.

If the latter, look at VNC or something similar to remote control the PC in the office from the PC on the shop floor.

3. chipperhead

Mobster

Yes it will be the same pc.

It's just that it can be a dirty job on the shop floor, it would be easy to stay on the shop floor and see and ammend things on the pc in the office from the shop floor.

4. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

5. chipperhead

Mobster

Thanks for that, I'll look into it.