What's the closest thing to Time Machine (Mac) on Windows?

Soldato
For my purposes Time Machine is just perfect, I set it up for all Mac using friends and never get any problems.

BUT, every now and then I get asked if there is Time Machine for Windows.

I'd love to find something to whole-heartedly recommend that won't cause them any grief and is super slick to set up but I've never found something that really does it.

What is the best "*Complete* backup for Non-techies" on Windows? Does it even exist?

Soldato
OP
Interesting, so they've improved it quite a bit? Sounds good

What about, the recovery process? Is that straight forward? And then the big question, can you recover one fo these backups to a different system? E.g a laptop's backup recovered to a Desktop tower?

EDIT: Ohhhh...wait a second, you guys aren't talking about Windows 8 are you? I've vowed to never touch it

Soldato
Personally I use Bvckup (v2 beta currently) and this does 'real time' backups to another location (another drive), admittedly it's not a shadow copy but it's another option to consider :)

Soldato
Windows image backup is great and will restore to different hardware (with some caveats)

Windows 8.x has File History which works a lot like Time Machine. Just set and forget, and it works with encrypted drives too.

Soldato
I use Windows File history for documents and important files.

I image my OS once once I am happy with it. Apps can be reinstalled, I don't back them up.

Caporegime
There's not, as far as I'm aware, really anything that covers the bare-metal restore that Time Machine offers, combined with the continuous file protection. The closest is probably something like CrashPlan backing up to another PC / NAS running the server software.

Back
Top Bottom