1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the deal with 360 DVD playback?

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by PuncH, 7 Mar 2006.

1. PuncH

PermaBanned

Just wondering what the general concensus is on DVD playback on the 360?

Mines pretty poor. The image jerks and lipsynch is out. But the sound is ok. For the record, thanks to another thread I've established I have a Hitachi drive in my 360. Could it be linked to that?

It's the only thing I'm dissapointed about with the 360. For such a powerful machine the DVD playback is shocking.

2. DaveyD

Man of Honour

If you change the PAL setting from PAL60 to PAL50, then the lip sync is 99% fixed, but I've noticed it happen still even on PAL50.

(I'm not sure if this is the case for users using HD output, but even if you're on HD, connect using standard composite, so you can get onto the PAL settings, and try changing to PAL50 then going back to HD mode, see if that does the trick).

3. Nismo

Capodecina

I'm not saying the 360 playback is fantastic, but I've tried a wide range of films on it and never experienced any jerking or sync issues (running via component).

I'm sure problems do exist, is there a particular DVD that it happens with for everyone?

4. DaveyD

Man of Honour

I've watched very few DVDs on the 360, but my Spaced DVDs had a couple of problems.

5. Boogle

Mobster

Haven't had any problems through VGA other than it running @ 640x480. DVDs at 640x480 are ugly :(

6. PuncH

PermaBanned

changing to pal50 didn't help :-(

jerk'o'vision

7. Kainz

Capodecina

Looks so poor at that res, not watched a dvd in ages now. Thinking of reinstalling media player on the pc for playback instead. Sad really and I can't see MS doing a thing about it.

8. AtomicBanana

Wise Guy

I had sound sync issues too... funny thing is, I only play dvd's about once in a blue moon anyway, so I didn't notice for ages :)

9. PuncH

PermaBanned

it's not just sound sych though. the picture jerks about as well.

but like you mr banana i rarely play DVD's, but it would be nice to know I could if i wanted to!

10. Memphis

Capodecina

Quality wise I thought it was great, however I have a problem where by on high contrast scenes, I get black banding across the picture. Annoying enough to ruin watching a film.

11. NokkonWud

Caporegime

Only time I get Sync issues is after it's been paused for a period of time.

12. PuncH

PermaBanned

i just tried the i-robot test. apparently that's one film that SHOULD work fine...

and it did, which suggest a bug for MS to iron out?

13. peahead

Mobster

No problems with dvd playback on my xbox360 overall very impressed with the picture quality and sound would have been better if they allowed dvds to be upscaled to 720p/1080i but you cant have everything can you.

14. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

I did have problems with Pal60 on my Spaced Series1 DVD. Changed to Pal50 and it was smooth as silk. Will be upgrading to HD soon so hopefuly it should still be good.

15. JBeck

Mobster

Tried two 360's both with the Hitachi, one running through standard composite cable was jerkovision deluxe, the other running with a VGA cable was super smooth.

16. PuncH

PermaBanned

Bit of an update here...

I've just tried 3 more movies and they all played fine; The Incredibles, Saving Private Ryan & Big Daddy.

The one's I have problems with are ones that tend to acompany CD's, specifically James Blunts Bedlam Sessions, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers and System of A Down. All DVD's that came with the CD have problems on my 360.

another update....10:08pm

Just called xbox support and they have told me it is a phenomenon called "macrovision". it tends to affect multi region DVD's or DVD's with no region encoding (such as the aforementioned music DVD's) as they are not up to the standard of a movie for example and sensitive DVD players will not play them properly.

So there you have it. Looks like something that'll never be fixed as it's a hardware thing.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2006