What's the hardest mathematical thing you know?

Soldato
Bending moments ie working out stress in a beam in a say a suspension bridge, they were all a bit of a pita. I'm pretty sure that the maths used in mech science were harder than anything I did in my electronics. At work I do have a look at some of the calculations used in our r.f. stuff and I'm glad we have simulations software to work it all out lol.

Soldato
Well I wouldn't say I 'know' it, but the most tricky mathematical ideas I have come into contact with are Phasor Mathematics, which can include differential equations, calculus, trigonometry, complex numbers, Euler's relation etc.

What it actually is, for anyone interested is a complex-number representation of an electrical quantity, such as voltage, current, or impedance.

The most complex maths I actually make any use of is really just Ohm's Law, the power triangle and a few other bits and pieces, such as working out voltage drop across a circuit maybe or working out the maximum load on a circuit so I can select the correct components.

ntg

ntg

Associate
That just proves that it does, you can do that with a couple of oranges and a box (illustratively rather than mathematically)....not why it does.

Actually it's the other way around. The mathematical proof proves the "why", the illustrative proves the "it just does".

Caporegime
That just proves that it does, you can do that with a couple of oranges and a box (illustratively rather than mathematically)....not why it does.

Are there any proofs that say 1=2 for example?

I don't think you understand what a mathematical proof is.

Permabanned
Actually it's the other way around. The mathematical proof proves the "why", the illustrative proves the "it just does".

Does it? Surely it only demonstrates that it does and the mechanism that it follows which makes it true...not the why 1+1 must equal 2.......

Back
Top Bottom