What's the hardest mathematical thing you know?

Permabanned
I don't think you understand what a mathematical proof is.

To be honest that is not really a constructive answer.

Anyway I understand it as well as any non-mathematician. I understand that a mathematical proof demonstrates that a statement is always true and how that conclusion is made, I understand the Peano Axioms etc.........but the actual why?

Does 1+1 always =2? one orange + one orange=two oranges.....but one drop of water + one drop of water = one drop of water albeit a larger one.

Is that more of a philosophical question rather than one that can be answered purely by a mathematical proof?

I ask because I was listening to a conversation about it recently, and not by non-mathematicians either and it got quite heated......

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, the why question is answered fully by a valid mathematical proof. There is no philosophy involved. As lukeharvest says, the real world, human life and existence etc., have no bearing on mathematics.

Associate
To be honest that is not really a constructive answer.

Anyway I understand it as well as any non-mathematician. I understand that a mathematical proof demonstrates that a statement is always true and how that conclusion is made, I understand the Peano Axioms etc.........but the actual why?

Does 1+1 always =2? one orange + one orange=two oranges.....but one drop of water + one drop of water = one drop of water albeit a larger one.

Is that more of a philosophical question rather than one that can be answered purely by a mathematical proof?

I ask because I was listening to a conversation about it recently, and not by non-mathematicians either and it got quite heated......

I find it difficult to explain something when they turn around and say something along the lines of "one orange + one orange = two oranges, so why is a formal proof needed?" because they're clearly not on the same wavelength mathematically speaking. I don't mean this as an insult - I've had plenty of people ask me similar things and it's just something people don't grasp. Most of my family think I'm studying how to add two very large numbers together - instead of studying things like group theory which is rather important when a new drug is created, because not many people can understand how that's mathematics.

Personally, I blame the fact that the education system tries to teach mathematics as a functional tool for use in every day life, which is teaching mathematics in a totally incorrect way and not what it's about.

Permabanned
No, the why question is answered fully by a valid mathematical proof. There is no philosophy involved. As lukeharvest says, the real world, human life and existence etc., have no bearing on mathematics.

During the conversation they mentioned Willard Quine and David Rosenthal and the idea that all knowledge comes from experience and the question revolves around whether it is a self evident truth or a truth learned by experience.

Associate
Possibly quantum mechanics and lagrangian field theory. It wasn't hard so much, just abstract yet surprisingly made sense in this abstract way.

Permabanned
I find it difficult to explain something when they turn around and say something along the lines of "one orange + one orange = two oranges, so why is a formal proof needed?" because they're clearly not on the same wavelength mathematically speaking.

Surely that is an assumption based on your own bias, I have found that mathematicians can be quite aloof about their own discipline tbh....I live with a couple of them.

I don't mean this as an insult - I've had plenty of people ask me similar things and it's just something people don't grasp.

Yet that again is simply an assumption, you are basically dismissing any kind of explanation in favour of..."dont worry your pretty little head about it, you wouldn't understand anyway"....

Surely the idea would be to explain why, in laymans terms or even pointing someone in the direction of a source than if you are unable.

Personally, I blame the fact that the education system tries to teach mathematics as a functional tool for use in every day life, which is teaching mathematics in a totally incorrect way and not what it's about.

Well, school is about preparing students for the world, a world where the vast majority of them will only use mathematics as a functional tool and will never question why something must work that way......and if the only answers they get when they do ask are "you wouldn't understand anyway" no wonder they are put off.

Anyway, the art of Google has found me a myriad of source that discusses this very thing and a bunch of chaps that will kindly explain it........

Last edited:
Soldato

Seems like we've got a pure mathematician in the house :p Ignorant engineer inbound . . .

I believe that maths has to be taught as a functional tool at the younger ages; you're not going to be able to teach (most!) <16 year old kids to appreciate the full sphere of mathematical reasoning and logic. My first encounters with the more abstract concepts (complex numbers, group theory etc) came when I was 17 and doing IB maths - I'd chosen higher level maths at this time as I had a genuine interest in the subject, rather than doing it out of necessity.

Caporegime
During the conversation they mentioned Willard Quine and David Rosenthal and the idea that all knowledge comes from experience and the question revolves around whether it is a self evident truth or a truth learned by experience.

I don't really get what you are talking about here, but a mathematical proof holds independently of the universe we exist in.

If there is a proof that 1+1=2 then that proof would hold even if the earth never formed, humans never evolved and philosophers never argued over semantics. That proof will always explain why the answer is what it is.

To give you a different example, the irrational constant PI exists in the universe and is completely independent of human discovery. All proofs and properties surround the use of PI are hold true in all worlds. Other intelligent aliens will have found the constant PI as well and will also have associated proofs, merely are numbering systems would differ. This is not something learned form experience or a fictitious idea derived from the human mind, it is a fundamental mathematical property.

People always seem to think that maths is some how related to the real world and you can simply translate 1+1 to be 1 orange + 1 orange. That reasoning is completely hopeless.

Associate
I find it difficult to explain something when they turn around and say something along the lines of "one orange + one orange = two oranges, so why is a formal proof needed?" because they're clearly not on the same wavelength mathematically speaking. I don't mean this as an insult - I've had plenty of people ask me similar things and it's just something people don't grasp. Most of my family think I'm studying how to add two very large numbers together - instead of studying things like group theory which is rather important when a new drug is created, because not many people can understand how that's mathematics.

I'm doing a PhD in maths, and people always go 'so what do you do? find a new formula?'. Oh if only :p.

Soldato
I'm doing a PhD in maths, and people always go 'so what do you do? find a new formula?'. Oh if only :p.

Could be worse - doing a PhD in Engineering means that apparently I spend my day fixing cars and faulty boilers! Of course I spend it procrastinating and finding ways to infuriate mathematicians by doing things simpler and getting (nearly) the same result :p

Associate
Could be worse - doing a PhD in Engineering means that apparently I spend my day fixing cars and faulty boilers! Of course I spend it procrastinating and finding ways to infuriate mathematicians by doing things simpler and getting (nearly) the same result :p

What is it you are doing then? I'm joint with the mechanical engineering department, although it's far from engineering really. The supervisor there is originally a mathematician (as is often the case in engineering actually, especially for fluid dynamics).

Associate
Surely that is an assumption based on your own bias, I have found that mathematicians can be quite aloof about their own discipline tbh....I live with a couple of them.

Yet that again is simply an assumption, you are basically dismissing any kind of explanation in favour of..."don worry your pretty little head about it, you wouldn't understand anyway"....

Surely the idea would be to explain why, in laymans terms or even pointing someone in the direction of a source than if you are unable.

Well, school is about preparing students for the world, a world where the vast majority of them will only use mathematics as a functional tool and will never question why something must work that way......and if the only answers they get when they do ask are "you wouldn't understand anyway" no wonder they are put off.

I'm not assuming anything, someone who thinks 1 orange + 1 orange = 2 oranges is a proof of 1+1=2 does not know what they're talking about. I don't know about other mathematicians, but I've tried explaining mathematics to friends, family and my partner - no-one gets it, so we give up. Plus we live in a world where people think it's "cool" to be bad at maths, chat **** about the subject while going around taking full advantage of things created thanks to mathematics (such as the internet, mobile phones, cars etc.)

I'm not dismissing explaining something, but trying to explain why 1 orange + 1 orange = 2 oranges isn't a proof is very difficult because it's such an absurd thing to say to start with. Explaining why 1+1=2 isn't straight-forward, and requires years of knowledge from undergrad mathematics, probably why you find a lot of mathematicians not as forthcoming when it comes to explaining. Very few things can be explained explicitly without needing to then explain something else, then something else. Many proofs are essentially a proof, within a proof, within a proof. So sometimes trying to explain something, to someone who doesn't know about mathematical rigour, which appears simple to them like 1+1=2 actually requires a hell of a lot of mathematics.

Also, school isn't really about preparing students for the world, look at physics, chemistry and biology - the vast majority of it isn't relevant to real life at all. The real reason they teach functional mathematics in schools in the UK is because it's too difficult to do otherwise. If you look at how other countries teach it (even in the EU) it's done much more rigorously, and even hints upon analytical mathematics, which is something you'd need to know a lot about to discuss proofs.

Seems like we've got a pure mathematician in the house :p Ignorant engineer inbound . . .

I believe that maths has to be taught as a functional tool at the younger ages; you're not going to be able to teach (most!) <16 year old kids to appreciate the full sphere of mathematical reasoning and logic. My first encounters with the more abstract concepts (complex numbers, group theory etc) came when I was 17 and doing IB maths - I'd chosen higher level maths at this time as I had a genuine interest in the subject, rather than doing it out of necessity.

Haha, I only sound like a pure mathematician because what's being discussed is very pure (and I have to do it in my degree - so I don't have a choice in the matter). I actually much prefer applied maths (I was going to do aerospace engineering, before I was stupid and accepted an offer to do straight maths)

I do agree that most people won't be able to appreciate "proper" mathematics, but other countries teach mathematics to young people very differently with very basic analysis - to get people to appreciate the rigor you need in mathematics, which would probably greatly help people understand the subject better.

ntg

ntg

Associate
Does it? Surely it only demonstrates that it does and the mechanism that it follows which makes it true...not the why 1+1 must equal 2.......

I perceive it in the completely opposite way, which I suppose suggests that the empirical proof is insufficient as people can experience it differently. That's why we need mathematical proofs to prove things I guess!

anyway it's too late to discuss such things!

Associate

I used to laugh along to comments like that - but it gets to the point now where I want to turn violent :D

I know, blame the UK for not protecting the term "Engineer" - makes my eyes water when you see British Gas call their people Engineers.

Back
Top Bottom