What's the oldest component in your rig?

Permabanned
4 year old 120 gig maxtor diomondmax9 2mb cache ide hard disk, saying that though, my cheiftec dragon case is gettting old, must be from the same era as the hard disk.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still using a Creative SB Live 4.1. (6 years old)

Thing is, I recently tried Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music, and no matter what I can't get my mic sound loud enough.
I understand reading on the Creative forums that this is a problem with some mics and 24 bit sound cards.

The SB live kills any onboard sound I have tried, so I may well be using it in another year or 2.

Mul

Mul

Associate
Joint, all at 3 years of age.

- DVD-ROM
- DVD-RW
- 120GB Seagate barracuda SATA

Monitor is also about 3 years old. Dell 1703FP Ultrasharp 17"

Mul

Soldato
split said:
I'm still using a Creative SB Live 4.1. (6 years old)

Thing is, I recently tried Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music, and no matter what I can't get my mic sound loud enough.
I understand reading on the Creative forums that this is a problem with some mics and 24 bit sound cards.

The SB live kills any onboard sound I have tried, so I may well be using it in another year or 2.

I think the early SB live cards were so much better sounding than the newer ones...

Associate
My HDD, a 120GB Seagate Barracuda that's a little over three years old.

It *would* be the six-year-old SB Live 5.1 but it doesn't have an optical output for connecting to my receiver :(

Associate
I salvaged the molex splitter cable from the P75,8mb ram-equipped Gateway 2000 PC in the attic... Lesse, we got that in about 1992, but we didn't get the 1gb hard drive till about a year later so it's probably 13 years old :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm it's a toss up between my DVD rom drive (LiteOn 165H) and my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (this card will NEVER get replaced as long as there is a PCI slot in my system :D It is that good!

Soldato
Oldest component I have in Main Rig:-

ZIP250 - Rarely used, and even then only to get stuff to/from my Ataris

Oldest component in a working rig:-

Not sure, but I have a still running Amstrad PC1512 - from roughly 20 years ago that I still use for kicks

Oldest component in a PC thats used almost every day:-
AWE32

Oldest entire system thats used all the time
Atari TT = 15-17 years?

Soldato
Vegetarian said:
I think the early SB live cards were so much better sounding than the newer ones...

The Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music sounded fine to me, it's just a mic thing.
I sometimes go into trivia rooms and read a quiz hence the need for a half decent mic.
You really don't need a decent sound card for that, but it just seems the newer ones need a mic with a certain impedance else the mic is low.

Yeah Mic's are cheap, but I feel at home in a certain headset. (Plantronics)
Buying or making a mic amp just seems an overkill for something so basic :(

Back
Top Bottom