Whats the worst gig you've seen?

Man of Honour
The year is 1976, the venue is Bingley Hall Stafford which is a cow shed and the band are The Rolling Stones. I'd been waiting ages for this gig and I'd even been offered £100 for my ticket. There were banners all around saying "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World" and I couldn't wait.
We entered the cow shed with the sound of soul music blasting in our ears. The support act came on which were an all black soul band which I think were called the Trammps but I could be way off. The thing is we had another hour of soul music.
The interval music was all soul music :(
The Stones then hit the stage with I think Jumping Jack Flash and I was rockin'. They then went into all their slow soul type stuff for about 30 minutes and then the stage was given to Billy Preston for 10 minutes. They continued until the hour was nearly up with slow soulful stuff and then ended with (I think) Brown Sugar. There was no encore and we left to the sounds of soul music once again. A total of two rock n roll songs all night on a bill that was supposed to be dedicated to "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World".
To say I was upset was an understatement and to think I could have sold my ticket for £100.

(just like to say I grew up on soul music but I didn't expect it on this night)

Whats your worst gig?

Soldato
My mate called me up and said that his mate couldn't make the Mark Knopfler gig at the RAH and I could have his ticket for nothing, especially as he knew that I wasn't exactly a fan.

We met in the pub and after quite a few lagers, I decided to take the ticket and after about 20 minutes in, I was asleep, talk about dull!!!!!

Soldato
right, ignore the fact that these guys are possibly the worst band ever, i went with my ex girlfriend to see the rasmus..

now you'd think the people that were there watching would be fans - being the person i am i tried to get into the spirit of it. after enjoying the support band the rasmus came on stage. i only know one of their tracks, that one that was in the charts.
when they play that a few people that were stood near the back decided to go up to the front and jump up and down, like you do at pop concerts. only to be shouted at by security and parents for causing a disturbance.

so i walk back out to where i was before and the entire croud are just stood still, looking at the band. if i was the band onstage i would have just left thinking they didnt like any of it.

Man of Honour
Van Morrison at the RAH....

The warm up act *Soloman Burke* as soooo much better.

He took up the whole stage and had presence and was a damn good performer.

Van Morrison was a tiny group of 6 people all bunched together in the middle of the stage and I would have been better off listening to his CD tbh.

Lucky the tickets were free tbh.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Feeder was the worst gig I went to.... was at the hammersmith appolo two years ago... a one off..... The crowd were just dead. I knew about 3 feeder songs.... I was the one cheering loudest for an encore and even I wasn't that bothered... Not a bad band though.

OOO I have a winner, The Darkness, NEC. Someone next to me was about 55, I was in the second row, and had a good FOOT of space around me in every direction.... Full of families.... gig newbies.... was just embarrising... you could hear a pin drop between songs. They even stormed offstage because of the poor crowd at one point...... Shame. Was a stunning performance.

Soldato
ok, so not the worst gig, the overall gig was ******* great
but pretty much the worst performance
!!! on tuesday supporting the chilis
possible they're just a rubbish band, i hadnt really heard anything by them before, but my definition of their performance was RHCP had a baby with the prodigy which turned out to have downs syndrome so they put it up for adoption and napoleon dynamite adopted it

Soldato
System of a Down at Brixton academy...

Only joking.

But their support band, the Dillinger Escape Plan.

Utter No Swearing, Big Kev.

(My bad for the swearie, wasn't thinking, I use that word to freely :p)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
50 Cent at Reading Festival 2004. People were throwing full bottles, whole bin bags FULL of bottles and even a chair on fire was thrown. Rubbish performance, great fun :D

:edit: DailyGeek I'd really fix that sweary now otherwise you'll be suspended :(

Soldato
1977 Erics club liverpool, a one man act called Auntie Puss. He basically used 2 strings of his 5 string Guitar (one missing) to play a scale. Then he shouted poetry for a couple of verses then played the scale again.

The bar stopped serving anything with glass or bottles after a few minutes and the next act decided it was their turn, half an hour too early. Captain Sensible poured an entire bottle of brown ale over Ms(Mr?) Puss's massive sticky black hairdo forcing him to retire leaving a trail of broken glass and liquids.

Then The Damned came on did every song they knew to fill the time and the world rejoiced :)

Soldato
DailyGeek said:
System of a Down at Brixton academy...

Only joking.

But their support band, the Dillinger Escape Plan.

Utter No Swearing, Big Kev.
I can't believe that. DEP might not be your thing musically, but as a live entitiy they are about as passionate and as mental as they come. They give 110% everytime, especially if they crowd don't dig em...

Incidentally, my worst gig was Good Charlotte a the Islington Academy in London. I hate the band. But I went with that girlfriend at the time, because I didn't want her going to London on her own to see a band. Seriously, the worst gig ever. I tried to like them. I really did. I wanted to like them as a live band, even if I didn't like any of their songs. But they were jetlagged and the performance was hoenstly the worst thing I'd ever seen. No passion. No feeling. Barely any movement, very little stage presence. Just terrible.

Alkaline Trio are probably the most disappointing. One of my favourite bands ever, but live they just lack stage presence. Shame really.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The thing about DEP is that (live) they are either sublime or repulsively bad...No middle ground.

May I throw 'The Kennedy Soundtrack, supporting Pitchshifter' into the mix; a friend of mine used to be the promoter for a lot of large Scottish gigs and took the boys out the night before and got them so drunk that, 24 hours later, they couldn't play...

*n

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'd have to say The Doves. Seen them by accident twice. First time was supporting Oasis on the Familiar To Millions tour - went OK as background music while we drank beer and chatted but nothing stood out, and I don't think they'd had any hits that anyone would recognise at that time.

Second time was supporting Travis at the Wembley Arena. They were overshadowed by a huge screen showing random imagery and you couldn't hear a single word of the lyrics they were blaring out (not that you can on the records either). The crowd were, well, polite; we clapped after the songs, no-one shouted abuse and nothing was thrown. At the end of the set the lead singer chucked the mic stand down, said 'Sod ya then' and they walked off. The crowd looked around at each other with faces that said 'Well that wasn't really on considering that we generously tolerated your caterwauling for fifty minutes, hippy'. I don't think anyone else that was at that gig would now even remember who the support band were.

Soldato
Belmit said:
I'd have to say The Doves. Seen them by accident twice. First time was supporting Oasis on the Familiar To Millions tour - went OK as background music while we drank beer and chatted but nothing stood out, and I don't think they'd had any hits that anyone would recognise at that time.

saw them on a headlining tour and they were immense, except i stood to close to the speakers and couldnt hear for my GCSE music exam. this was a good few years back :p

Associate
The Arctic Monkeys gig in Newcastle was pretty disappointing. I was totally up for having a really good time, getting hyped up, but it turned out pretty crap :(

Edit: The Doves are good live!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Danzig in London Astoria few years back, expected the old Elvis Meets Morrison Danzig, instead we found fat, topless, sweaty piglet screaming his lungs out to overdriving micophone to the background of white noise from a bunch of drunken stand ins amplified by something that sounded like asda's "staff anouncement" tannoy. Total walkout.

Sisters Of Mercy in Kentish Town Forum, 2003. Bad venue, bad amplification, bad visual. It was dry ice smoke for 90 minutes, seen frontman maybe twice, not a single word of text would dare above wall of noise devided by sudden speaker cut outs caused by overdriven, thumping drum machine. Couldn't hear anything, couldn't see anything. If you told me I saw The Stooges or Vanilla Ice that night, I couldn't even say it wasn't. :

sisters4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom