Whats the worst gig you've seen?

Soldato
Queen Adrena in Leicester a few years back, they were pretty terrible. The drummer was a stand-in I think - he was totally awful! And the singer wasnt as good as she seems on recorded versions. In fact she was pretty bad too.

Soldato
Only been to 2 gigs so I can hardly talk from experience...

However I would say The Offspring get this award :/

Big fan of their stuff and enjoy all their CD's. Was looking forward to the live performance.

They come on stage about 30 mins late (we were never told why the delay happened) and they kicked off with not a word to the crowd. Finished the first song, complained about people crowding up to close adn then played 22 songs back to back without any crowd interaction :/

Then they left :\

This was 2004, no drummer either :(

Soldato
Haven't been to a huge amount of gigs and I've really enjoyed them all. So I'll go slightly off topic and nominate the worst support act I've seen at a gig. That would be Minty, who were supporting Pulp at the Q-Club in B'ham a few years ago. Guy dressed in a skin-tight, spandex devil costume. Women singing was naked except for a shower curtain covered in fairy lights. There appeared to be Animal from the Muppet show on drums. It was awful, shouty, nonsense. It was also like a car crash - you couldn't help but watch, transfixed by the morbid curiosity.

Soldato
penski said:
I have to type this quickly while the girlfriend's watching big brother:

The Manics.

*n

Where did you see them?
We went to see them at the Nottingham Ice Arena in 2004 and I thought they were excellent.
I'm not a big fan (my fiancee loves them) but even as a non-fan I was well impressed.

As for staying OT.
Wasn't too impressed with Goldfrapp - but it was at the Cambridge Cornex which although a nice and "personal" venue sometimes makes bands that demand bigger stages look bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
arctic monkeys on the nme tour in cardiff earlier this year were a massive dissapointment, we are scientists destroyed them.
anticipation has a habit to set you up, for disappointment etcc

Last edited:
Soldato
stoofa said:
Wasn't too impressed with Goldfrapp - but it was at the Cambridge Cornex which although a nice and "personal" venue sometimes makes bands that demand bigger stages look bad.
Funnily enough my dad used to be in a band with Alison Goldfrapp and he said she always lacked stage presence. Never really did anything beyond just sing the songs and stand there, when you want more from a vocalist really.

Not been to any really poor gigs myself, bar a few dodgy open mic nights (which hardly count). Although, for all the raving I've heard about them since, I thought Sparta were complete rubbish supporting QOTSA in Wolves.

Soldato
Gig in the Vic Inn in Derby I forget who it was but the sound was terrible, it was just pretty much feedback, distortion and static for 30 minutes whilst the lead guitarist did all the cheesey airguitar moves, he can't have been hearing much they were terrible.

Biggest disappointment was probably The Coral at the Oasis gig last year in Manc Stadium, they were really bad compared to The Zutons and just didn't really perform that well.

Most annoying audience experience was Amiina supporting Sigur Ros, they just talked all the way through Amiina's set and ruined it. Then when Sigur Ros came on they all stood around like compelete chimps and talked until hoppipolla came on and cheered and jumped around like eejits, some prat in front of me thought he was at a rave and flailed his arms in the air and all the time wannabe photographers shoved you out of the way to get their pretentious arty shots in.

Soldato
I fell asleep during Paradise Lost at Bloodstock a coupla years ago - THEY SUCK...

Was waiting for Nightwish...

Oh ... also... having to watch Funeral for a Friend TWICE at Iron Maiden in Newcastle and Glasgow on their last tour - the biggest cheer was when they took the FFAF banner down.... damn I hate FFAF.

Associate
I'm still a bit of gig noob. I've only seen Sigur Ros (x2), Radiohead and A Silver Mount Zion, whom were all amazing, so I really can't answer that question.

Soldato
Firstly, DEP are damn amazing live.

I haven't really been to that many bad gigs. I've been to gigs that haven't been as great as I thought they would be, but the only gig I've ever walked out of was The Academy Is... (I went to see P!ATD like just about everyone else there), and TAI... were headlining. Two songs in and I'd gone. Awful awful band. I second William in saying the crowd at Sigur Ros were utter idiots (and I wasn't even at the same concert as him).

Permabanned
calnen said:
Queen Adrena in Leicester a few years back, they were pretty terrible. The drummer was a stand-in I think - he was totally awful! And the singer wasnt as good as she seems on recorded versions. In fact she was pretty bad too.

I had a few er... 'interesting' times with QA and little miss Katie-Jane a few years back...

ElvisFan said:
Worst gig?

Easy. One by this guy:

Worlds worst Elvis Impersonator

I know the guy personally and he's an absolute tool. Who can't sing.

What was your take on Extreme Elvis? Do you agree with what happened to him?

*n

Soldato
Carzy said:
I second William in saying the crowd at Sigur Ros were utter idiots (and I wasn't even at the same concert as him).

From what I hear, its getting worse, the more people that hear about them the more fools you get in the audience, I know that could make me elitist but its true.

You only have to go to a Super Band's gig (Oasis, U2, Coldplay, etc) or a Festival where there are lots and lots of people to see what happens whan you have a large fanbase - you get serial masterbators at the front trying to start a mosh or a whistle blowing contest.

Soldato
William said:
From what I hear, its getting worse, the more people that hear about them the more fools you get in the audience, I know that could make me elitist but its true.
I don't think it's getting any worse; I think it's simply that on their latest tour they switched to having standing tickets. Stands create a completely different atmosphere to being all seated - that being the wrong type for Sigur Ros.

Worst gig for me remains [the same as it was in the archived Music Questionnaire sticky ;)] Martin Grech at the Concorde II a few years ago. Wasn't that bad, just nothing like anyone was expecting. On the upside, Mew were supporting. Other than that it would be Herbie Hancock's Residency at the Barbican. He was great, but it was the misleading 'residency' part. The idea was that he chose three seemingly random groups to play. Again, completely deflated all expectations. He only appeared on stage briefly to play. You know it's a bad gig when Barbican punters start heckling :D!

Soldato
Reading last year.. one band stood out as being particularly horrendous:

The Pixies(One of the most talentless bands I've ever heard. This show was appauling.. me and my friends left for the Dance Tent.)

It was actually horrendous.

Associate
Fallout Boy. Too many jumps and spinning around while not concentrating on playing the music resulted in awful sound and loads of screecing.Plus it was full of 'scene' kids talking and not watching the stage.

Soldato
Augmented said:
I don't think it's getting any worse; I think it's simply that on their latest tour they switched to having standing tickets. Stands create a completely different atmosphere to being all seated - that being the wrong type for Sigur Ros.

They have always had standing tickets...

Associate
William said:
Most annoying audience experience was Amiina supporting Sigur Ros, they just talked all the way through Amiina's set and ruined it. Then when Sigur Ros came on they all stood around like compelete chimps and talked until hoppipolla came on and cheered and jumped around like eejits, some prat in front of me thought he was at a rave and flailed his arms in the air and all the time wannabe photographers shoved you out of the way to get their pretentious arty shots in.

I've heard a lot about people talking through Amiina. I think I've been quite lucky because the two times I've seen them (Birmingham Academy and Soton Guild Hall) the majority of people were quiet for them.

I had noticed the increased number of 'eejits' from the first time I saw SR and most recently. I really don't understand the people that in say, a silent part of a track find it funny to shout some loud, unfunny comment when about 99% of the audience are silent.

I'd also say that to some extent the crowd at SR can seem "awkward". Because they are the sort of band you appreciate in a similar way to a classical music concert. There's not really enough "rock" about them to really start any sort of dancing/jumping. I don't really mind standing and appreciating although I guess some people in the crowd aren't used to this and don't expect it.

Soldato
William said:
They have always had standing tickets...
Admittedly I can't speak for every venue they've played, but they played to all-seated audiences at venues like the Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Barbican and the Hammersmith Apollo between 2002-2004 :).

Back
Top Bottom