Whats the worst gig you've seen?

Soldato
Worst gig for me was Guns N Roses in 1991 (May have been 1992) at Maine Road. Cancelled the first gig on the last minute. Second gig they came on stage a good two hours late. Played a 45 min set and didnt do an encore. Timing was way off and the acoustics were terrible Played off the stage by Soundgarden & Faith No More

Soldato
also.

Queens of the Stone Age at reading.
Iggy Pop and the Stooges at Reading
many bands at reading infact.

However, the NOFX gig was quality. A guy in the crowd had a trumpet so they got him up on stage and went "play that song they play when they go kill foxes".

Funny people, always taking the **** out of themselves, and iirc they wrote a song for the festival :D

very Fun.

Also, Million Dead were awesome.

However, back on track. Another appauling band: Marilyn Manson, at Reading.(I'm just going through the poster here :p)
Funeral for a Friend were equally bad
MCR. Heh. No. Bad.

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
Yeah, the Manics are one of the best live acts going... the only people who don't seem to get it are the perpetually stoned.
I have to disagree with this. I'm a huge Manics fan. I've only seen them twice though and the last time was on the Past/Present/Future tour and I have to say, they didn't look like they were enjoying it at all. It all seemed very static, very forced. May have been because it was coming to the end of the tour though...

Associate
Worst set by far for me was Guns N Roses at Download Festival this year. Absolutely attrocious. They couldn't string 2 songs together at all. Axl Rose walked off stage a few times. The bassist threw a hissy when bottles were thrown at him, so he smashed his bass up, stamped on it, then threw it at a camera man lol. I was well dissappointed as I quite like the music. :mad:

To put it into contrast, Metallica on the saturday were amazing. Best set I've seen by far! Seen them 4 times and this time was just the best set list and performance I've seen period! :D

Soldato
v0n said:
Sisters Of Mercy in Kentish Town Forum, 2003. Bad venue, bad amplification, bad visual. It was dry ice smoke for 90 minutes, seen frontman maybe twice, not a single word of text would dare above wall of noise devided by sudden speaker cut outs caused by overdriven, thumping drum machine. Couldn't hear anything, couldn't see anything. If you told me I saw The Stooges or Vanilla Ice that night, I couldn't even say it wasn't.

LOL, sounds like your standard Sisters concert. I found if you stand somewhere near the mixing desk, you can just about make out songs on a good night. Filling the venue with so much dry ice that no-one can see anything is of course a must at any Sisters concert :D

Soldato
Mine would have to be the Coheed and Cambria/Thrice gig I went to see.

They were supported by Circa Survival (who I think were pretty good), who played first. Most people weren't paying a lot of attention at this point, 'cept me and my mate just stood there listening.

Then Coheed came on, played their set fantastically. But got me really angry - not because of them, but all of the people who only went to see Thrice - they thought they'd boo them, talk loudly, push people around etc - I was seething and very close to introducing a few of them to my fist. T'is a shame, as I only really went to see Coheed - definitely looking forward to seeing them at Leeds!

Then Thrice came on. Oh my God, it was awful. I'd never listened to Thrice before, but my ex loved them and I was quite keen on listening to them with an open mind. So imagine my horror when the lights did nowt but blind everyone, and they turned the volume all the way up. Sure; a few catchy riffs, but the volume was so loud everything blended into each other and nothing sounded clear or crisp.

-RaZ

Soldato
^ i saw them too, missed all of circa except for the last 2 tracks - which i really liked and got annoyed that i missed the rest of their set.

coheed played a good set, but as you say didnt really get the appreciation they deserved. but i still think thrice played a good set at southampton.

Permabanned
SidewinderINC said:
^ ouch dude. that sucks.

i dont think i could deal with having a GF with musical tastes as different as that to mine - was bad enough my ex liking the rasmus.

Well she bought me Atomic Kitten tickets to say sorry (beats a boy band, just)...I have no idea what atomic kitten sang but by gosh I could see the one em's boobs. An image that will never leave me for a long time :D (That was the 2nd from last worst band ever...seems she had bad taste in music)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nitefly said:
Feeder was the worst gig I went to.... was at the hammersmith appolo two years ago... a one off..... The crowd were just dead. I knew about 3 feeder songs.... I was the one cheering loudest for an encore and even I wasn't that bothered... Not a bad band though.

That's quite surprising, I've seen feeder twice (once at Brixton about 18 months ago, and at the Birmingham NEC about 6 months ago).

Both times the crowd were pretty up for it.

I've not really had a bad gig experience (although I haven't really been to that many), but the best by far for the crowd being up for it and it just being an awesome night was Faithless at the Nottingham Ice Arena.

Soldato
Cybermyk said:
1977 Erics club liverpool, a one man act called Auntie Puss. He basically used 2 strings of his 5 string Guitar (one missing) to play a scale. Then he shouted poetry for a couple of verses then played the scale again.

The bar stopped serving anything with glass or bottles after a few minutes and the next act decided it was their turn, half an hour too early. Captain Sensible poured an entire bottle of brown ale over Ms(Mr?) Puss's massive sticky black hairdo forcing him to retire leaving a trail of broken glass and liquids.

Then The Damned came on did every song they knew to fill the time and the world rejoiced :)

Captain Sensible played the Student union in Glasgow for the Xmas bash in 89 if i remember (am showing my age here) he played about 6 songs (absolutely fubar) then stripped off to his knackers and sat in the crowd getting wrecked on Newcastle Brown ... Quality

Sister of Mercy, NEC june 1990 or was it 91? anyway it was absolute excrement, couldnt see anything, couldnt hear much more. cobblers

Fields of the Nephilim, Farewell Tour Oct.89, Glasgow Barrowlands.
Outstanding! Carl McCoy is (was) god

seen loads of bands, too many to name. maybe a best gig ever thread?

Soldato
I bought Robbie Williams tickets for my fiancee - so we'll be seeing him later this year from the Golden Circle at MK Bowl.

Now I'm not expecting that to be the greatest concert I've ever been to, however only because I'm not too keen on his work.
From what I have seen of him he is good in concert so as "a concert" I expect it to be very good.
It can only be a "worst gig" contender to me as it is not somebody I'd naturally choose to go and see.

Back
Top Bottom