What's wrong?? GTX260 & XFX 680i

Associate
Hi All,

I'm scratching my head with this one. I had some old bits that I thought I would throw together, and weirdly, I can't make them work.

I have a GTX 260 and a GTX 260 Black that won't give a signal at the BIOS when they are connected to a Core 2 Quad in an XFX 680i motherboard.

I started with a corsair 450w power supply, and then tried a corsair 750w. No signal.

If I put these two cards into another PC, they both work fine.

If I put a GTX 570 into the XFX 680i, then the card and both power supplies work and the pc boots fine.

I've tried with a VGA card alongside one of the GTX 260s, and it's like the GTX isn't in there - no hardware is detected by Windows.

I've been setting pcie as primary display in the Bios. Makes no difference.

So, the motherboard is fine, the cards are fine, the power supplies are fine, so there must be some sort of incompatibility with the 260s and the 680i motherboard perhaps. Well no, because back in the day, that was the original set up! 10 years ago, these components worked together!

Anyone got any idea what could be going on?

I'm well aware these are old parts, and I know the quick solution is to forget it and move on, but I'm now fascinated by the puzzle. I can't crack this one. :)

Thanks!

Associate
OP
I tried downloading what I thought was the last release for this board, but I got an error saying it wasn't the right one. It's currently on 2.053.E2. I didn't pursue this too much as these components did once work together. I'll investigate this further.

Associate
Have you tried removing BIOS battery waiting a minute then putting back in? Might be a setting there is causing a problem, so reseting to factory defaults may help.

Associate
OP
That's a good call too. I used the jumper on the board, but thinking about it, I'm not sure how much of a reset that was as it remembered the time. I will report back later. Ta.

Associate
OP
So.. Confirmed that the bios was up to date (it's running P08). I the reset the bios by removing the battery and power cable overnight, and discharging what power was left by pressing the power button once all was disconnected.. Still no go.

I'm going to leave it for a bit now. Maybe something will come to me. If so, I'll report back.

Associate
Have you checked the physical pcie revision? I had problems installing an 8800gt in a Gigabyte 965p mobo. Similar symptoms - in theory it should have been backwards compatible but mine had a 1.0 slot, not 1.0a.

Back
Top Bottom