Whats wrong with my Car - Gearbox related fault.

Soldato
Hi All, Have a Merc A Class car - the "Clutchless Manual" so the car is basically a full manual but with no clutch pedal.

Was stopped at a roundabout - had the car in first. Accelerated onto the roundabout, shifted to second, pulled into my turning, and then tried to change to third but couldn't. Basically I could easily put it in and out of second easily, but was unable to move the gear lever to the right so was completely unable to even try to put it in third, forth, fifth or reverse. I should have tried first gear but didn't as I was going too fast for that gear.

Drove all the way home in second, and told my dad (it's his car). He got in, put it into first (with a small amount of difficulty), then second, then third and so on fine. I.e the problem was solved. However when we took the car out to test it, the fault occured again - it went into second fine, but the gear lever was stuck to the left, so we couldn't move it to the right to try put it in third, 4th e.t.c.

Again, we put it into first with some difficulty (heard a clunk when we succeded) and the car was again fine after that.

So to summarise.

- First gear *seems* to temporarily fix the fault.
- Second gear seems to cause the fault.
- The fault is the gear stick gets stuck to the left so the only gears you can put it in are first and second. You cannot move it to the middle position to put it in 3rd or 4th, or to the right to try 5th and reverse.

What could it be??? obviously i'm gonna take the car to a garage to be fixed, but wanted to know what to expect first.

Back
Top Bottom