1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with my handbrake?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by gizmo1990, 20 Feb 2010.

1. gizmo1990

Hitman

I've got a small '00 Clio and today as I was pulling up the handbrake handle, instead of feeling the usual resistance after a distance of about 3" it pulled up far higher with resistance only occuring after about 6"? The handbrake still seems to work but only after pulling the handle up far further and it feels quite flimsy..

If anyone knows what the problem (if there is one?) could be I'd really appriciate some thoughts on it and how much it would cost to fix?

Basically I need to sell the car within a month anyway so I'm terrified of any major expences I'd have to fork out on it! :(

2. ci_newman

Sgarrista

Sounds like it's only pulling the brake on one side. Does the Clio use a Y-type system? Perhaps the cable to one corner has snapped..

3. 5abr3

Gangster

Also could be that one of the 2 cables has come out of the carrier if it is anything like the last one I fixed, took less than half an hour to fix, worth taking a look yourself inside the trim around the handle to see if its a simple fix or if its new cable or tightening time.

4. ZG002

Capodecina

Yeah. Does sound like one of your cables have snapped mate. Have a look under the rear of your car see if you can see any cables dangling.

5. gizmo1990

Hitman

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm off outside now to have a look!

6. gizmo1990

Hitman

Well I couldn't find anything dangling underneath the car.

I have since gone out for a short drive and, granted this could be some sort of placebo effect... but I felt as though my actual brakes were quite spongy..? I felt as thought they weren't as responsive and I was having to press down harder before I felt them having any effect?

Does anyone here know if Clios handbrakes are in some was connected to the brake pads and the brake peddle itself too..?

Sorry if this sounds a daft question but I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so I'd really appriciate some advice.:confused:

7. 5abr3

Gangster

Hand brakes are rear wheels on drum brakes in general. Not seen many cars without drums at the rear and never seen a handbrake apply to the front. Foot brake is the front (unless you have all round discs).

8. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Most cars today are discs all round, but on a 2000 Clio the rears are most likely drums.

9. ZG002

Capodecina

A lot ain't tbh. Only bigger engined cars or "sporty" cars normally.

Could be something wrong with one of the drums, Get it to a garage and get them to check it out mate. (As you don't seem the total DIY type)

10. 5abr3

Gangster

Some are discs and drums at the back afaik, think the Rover 75 is.

11. Nomisf

Man of Honour

The footbreak will always actuate all four corners regardless of break type, although the force will be split to apply more breaking force to the front.

12. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Xantia has hand brake on the front.

13. ci_newman

Sgarrista

Almost everything you said in that statement is wrong :confused:

1. Non sporty cars that are < 2000-reg will have drum brakes, but even my parents 2008 1.4 Golf has discs on the back. They are a standard fitting on non-poverty spec cars for the last decade.

2. A couple of citroen models used a front-biased handbrake

3. Unless your car was built in the 60s, the foot brake will apply force on all four corners of the car regardless of whether you have disc or drums at the back.