Whats your greatest PC Boj Job / Blunder

Associate
Bodge:
The molex connector on my old 9800pro burnt out, so as a 'temporary' measure to get it running, I removed the remains of the old connector and soldered part of a cut-down molex Y-splitter in its place. I fully intended to get a new pcb-mount connector to replace it. That was nearly two years ago, and the card is still going strong in my brother's pc...

Blunder:
When I wanted to add an extra hard drive to my pc, I didn't have enough molex connectors to power it, so I used a home-made molex extension. What I didn't realise, however, was that I'd previously used the same extension cable to power some fans, and worse, I'd swapped the 5v and 12v wires so that they would run at 5v. Needless to say that hard drive never worked again, and I now clearly label any modded connectors!:o

Associate
My biggest blunder when I was a total irresponsible newbie...

I couldn't figure out how to attach a waterblock from a pre-made kit to the 6800GT I had, so I used that thermal ceramique paste (the permanent one) to put the waterblock and ram sinks to the card :o

The card died (totally unrelated I'm sure) a while later.. I went about trying to remove the dried on waterblocks and ramsinks....

Nearly all the ramsinks took off the entire ram block with each of them.

The waterblock itself was completely dried on, so on someone's recommendation I zipped it up and froze it. This still didn't work and I used some considerable force and a blunt object to smack the waterblock off :D This in fact tore the core into two uneven halves, with one part of it still stuck on the underside of the waterblock :o It was all sparkly inside :eek:.

Through some meticulous piecing together of the original cover/screws/fans the job was a good'un, and I got my RMA :D

Associate
I dropped a £3000 server down a flight of stairs once.........

Hard-Drive cracked in half. CPU's, Memory, PSU were all ok. We stress tested the drives before putting them back online, one of them failed fairly quickly but the other 4 are perfectly fine to this day.

Plenty of burned out CPU's to my name, forgetting to put the HSF on or not installing it correctly usually.

Soldato
Some class stories in here. :D

My main bodge-job... 60mm fan failed on my first heatsink.
Was skint until the end of the month, needed to replace the fan as it was rattling and was not going to last much longer.

Quick look around, see a cotton buds tub.
Quick melt with a soldering iron - Nice hole.
Then melt 4 holes for the screws...

Tape an unbalanced 80mm fan to other end of cotton-buds tub with self amalgimating tape...
side_bloo.jpg

Ran fine for 3 weeks until I got the new heatsink. :D
(It did cause the mobtherboard to 'wobble' due to the unbalanced fan tho...)

Back
Top Bottom