What's your job?

Soldato
I know we had one of these threads a while back but I couldn't find it from a quick thread search and I thought it's a good time to start a fresh. I'm sure plenty of people have moved jobs since and there's plenty of newcomers who may not have posted originally.

I'm interested to hear what everyone does for a living and the main pros and cons of the role. Just job title, brief overview and 2 main pros and cons of the role.

I'll start:

Job title: Compliance Caseworker for HMRC

Essentially, I carry out compliance checks on individuals and small businesses to ensure the correct tax has been paid. I raise tax assessments where necessary and try to educate those that want to be educated on how to file their returns correctly.

Pros:

- Interesting variety to the work. Always interesting to see the accounts and financial information of various people and businesses.
- Excellent job security and pension

Cons:

- Limited progression within the role. It can be very easy to become stuck on your pay band as pay progression is limited within pay bands and the opportunities for promotion are quite limited.
- I'm generally disliked by the people I come into contact with due to the nature of the role.

Soldato
Sit at my desk eating biscuits, waiting for problems. Some people call it an IT ops technician :D

I've got 9 years experience at it now, so most of the time I find it easy. But as it's in defence I do get involved in.... other things, which keeps it interesting.

Don
Enterprise hardware support / team leader

hardware break fix/ installations

half my work is customer based and half managing day to day operations of team

pros, pays well and I manage myself

cons, promotions would mean less money and having to be on call

Caporegime
IT Operations Manager for a medium sized business in the health and wellbeing industry. I have a small team of 5 and work closely alongside the IT Development Manager and Head of Business Change.

Only been in the role since February, before that I was a senior Infrastructure Engineer for a gigantic multinational insurance company that was primarily USA based. Was there for 18 months thinking I needed to move into a bigger business to further my career, turns out I really don’t want to work for a massive company, too much pigeon holing of employees, I became very bored very quickly.

Prior to that I was an IT Operations Manager for a medium sized business in the Mobile Device Recycling industry. Small team of 6. I guess I’ve found my niche then :p

Soldato
Currently a delivery manager for one of the biggest parcel companies in the U.K. looking after the east and central Scotland After many many years of running my own taxi companies.
Fantastic change and looking after a much bigger pool of talent now (circa 250 couriers and associated support staff atm)

utterly swamped the last few months and planning ahead now for things to get even busier. Only been in the role 5 months but loving life and the change of scene and pace

Associate
Senior systems admin with a particular speciality in data visualisation working for one of the top genome and dna sequencing centres in the world. Been there 23 years this year

Associate
I’m a manufacturing engineer for an F1 team. Not really any cons. I enjoy what I do, even more so because of the industry and I’ve not had a day where I really didn’t want to go to work in the 8 or so years I’ve been here. Feel very fortunate. :)

Not a lot of people have a job they love 100% of the time!

Is that in sheffield or down south? Do you get to meet the drivers? Any perks like free race tickets?

Soldato
Software Engineer

Pros:
Work is exciting and challenging, we build good stuff
Huge demand, so never out of work
Pay is good
Can work remotely whenever I want

Cons:
Dealing with clueless product managers

Caporegime
Part time House Sitter.

Did the IT thing then some company start-up type stuff until I was 40 and then retired...or so I thought at the time. A few years later I'd somehow got to know a few well off people while I playing golf/tennis, who all wanted someone they could trust with their houses/pets when they went away on holiday or just buggered off to who knows where.

Pros: Work about three months of the year in total. Get paid a number of times what the going rate might be I'd guess. Get holidays thrown at me from time to time and other things paid for or bought for me out of the blue as a thank you. All the places are close to each other and fairly close to me as well so no travel issues at all. I can have some trusted friends round at a couple of them which has included the odd party/bbq at them. They're all nice people with nice families.

Cons: Have to be be fairly security conscious and double check things quite a bit. Once in a blue moon, if the local security firm don't turn up quickly enough, I may have to see why a dog is barking in the middle of the night lol. No problems at all in eight years now other than a fox in a basement and one of the owner's cats braking a leg.

Last edited:
Soldato
Director of a video production company. Pros are plentiful, all those that come with running a business such as flexible holiday etc, plus doing a job that's creative, incredibly varied and opens up doors to people, places and situations that otherwise money can't buy.

Cons are minimal, primarily that 9 people's livelihoods depend on the business, but I like to think of that as a pro too. And that my job doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to my OH is frontline NHS.

Soldato
Firefighter

Pros: Work 2x24 hour shifts every 8 days, enjoy the job, have a great laugh, rewarding, allows me to have a second job.
Cons: Not enough money, can be traumatic at times.

Back
Top Bottom