What's your MPG like on Short Joruneys?

Man of Honour
[FnG]magnolia;16539797 said:
Our Legacy GTB gets about 16-18mpg from a cold start and only slightly higher when it's cruising. They're not economical but I knew that before purchasing so it doesn't bother me too much. Well, not at all actually, especially when I'm driving it with a sense of determination and vigour

Thats horrendous :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
D'oh, that's embarrassing! To be honest I did have a think it was Rich, but wasn't 150% sure so I decided to Google it and went with whatever the first hit told me :o.

As somebody who knows relatively nothing about vehicles mechanicals, its pretty damn obvious that the engine runs rich when cold. The simple fact that its stupidly uneconomical when cold, and that the car produces loads of rich smelling fumes out of the exhausts when cold kind of gives it away :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Driving into Brussels in the morning rush hour from cold will return about 35 mpg, which is less than 10 miles.
I've had it down to 29 mpg before on the same sort of journey in heavy traffic.

Whilst that may not be particularly poor compared to the petrol engines in here, it's pretty pathetic considering the book figures.

Oh, and the V50 with all of 140bhp will easily get low 20s in town from cold :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
The on board computer tells me that I am getting 39MPG on average during the morning commute, which is a lot better than the 20 or so I used to get with the Civic Auto.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
27MPG driving 8 miles to work. It would be closer to 32 but I don't like hanging around like a chump on the long stretches of B roads I travel through :p

Soldato
An RX8 would be fun for most, but the daily grind in an old Jeep isn't fun in anyones eyes.

Have you driven an RX8? They can be fun anywhere :D

Not much fun in a muddy field though I would imagine.

I haven't driven an RX8 because its not what I'd want in a car (the wife wants one though). I can go anywhere in the Jeep which is handy if I have to visit some of our farmer clients.

As for the daily grind I don't actually have one - or at least one that I find tiresome.

Soldato
that st170 economy would annoy the hell out of me.

drive to work is 13 miles. mine is up to water temp within 3-4 miles. i can get over 40mpg coming to work, as low as 37 if i get a chance to boot it a bit

coming home in heavy traffic it can be as low as 32

average over the last 1000 miles was 34.1 mpg

Caporegime
It's crap - I get 300 miles to a tank in my mx5 on my daily drive.

Went to Oxford last weekend (220 miles), and did the entire trip on less then half a tank.

Soldato
yep, gets more anoying as the price of fuel keeps going up!

wouldnt mind if the thing was quick either, oh well it will do for now.

exactly. my golf (2.0 16v) is similar pace to your focus and my mpg is a fair %age higher

on my S4 i will get 29mpg basically regardless of how i drive and that thing really knows how to behave like a head banger.

youre getting almost S4 mpg for golf performance. sell it!!

Soldato
2.5 miles each way, around 14mpg on the way there (all downhill) 10mpg on the way back.

Can using you car for short journeys actually damage things such as Cats and lamba senors? My car failed MOT on emmissions last year due to a failing Lamba and only scraped through this year and the year before last. Im guessing its the same thing again or the Cat has gone this time to running around with a faulty Lamba. Its smells sweet again when sitting at traffic lights with the windows down and my average MPG on a run has dropped down by 3/4MPG. (XJR X308)

Back
Top Bottom