What's your MPG like on Short Joruneys?

Soldato
My journey trip shows 26-27mpg after leaving Edinburgh from a cold start I think it is about 4 miles from the centre to the M8.

Diesels are always going to be better on short journeys as they do not go through a cold start cycle. Reseting a petrols trip computer once the engine is up to temperature makes a large difference to the average fuel consumption.

Soldato
exactly. my golf (2.0 16v) is similar pace to your focus and my mpg is a fair %age higher

on my S4 i will get 29mpg basically regardless of how i drive and that thing really knows how to behave like a head banger.

youre getting almost S4 mpg for golf performance. sell it!!

I will sell it but no rush, I work from home so barely use the thing. When I do its normally motorway journeys so 30mpg I can live with for now. The missus uses it day to day for her work (5 miles there and back)

Nearly sold it a few months ago to get a new car but I bought a bike instead :D

Associate
i was doing a good 80 or so in places and had a play with a corsa vxr and still got average fuel consumption of 57.1 lol , where has diesel been all my life i know the trip comps probably lieing to me

Soldato
i was doing a good 80 or so in places and had a play with a corsa vxr and still got average fuel consumption of 57.1 lol , where has diesel been all my life i know the trip comps probably lieing to me

If its anything like my old leon's trip computer it lying big time. Average mpg over a tank according to trip computer was 47.1mpg, according to simple maths it was really only 39.

Associate
yeah ive done 90 odd miles since ive gotten it monday and i filled it up and the fuel guage needle has barely budged off full , probably cos ive been used to a focus st for the past 18 months lol

Associate
In my daily drive/commuter - VW Golf GT TDi 150 (150bhp 235ft/lb model) I get 34mpg around town and around 54-58mpg on the motorway :)

My Evo on the other hand I get around 20-25mpg all the time (be that around town or motorway) and about 8-10mpg while on the track! haha

Soldato
yeah ive done 90 odd miles since ive gotten it monday and i filled it up and the fuel guage needle has barely budged off full , probably cos ive been used to a focus st for the past 18 months lol

It will do that, my needle didnt budge off full for around 80-90miles, got about 250miles out of the 1st half of the tank, then the 2nd half only got around 170miles :confused: Fuel light comes on, 50 miles to go, great loads of time! 10 miles later its at zero with conservative driving :rolleyes:

Associate
I got 44 mpg out of my 2001 punto sporting last week.

That was £20 worth of fuel at 1.21p a litre, over 160 miles.

Normally get about 38-40 mpg

This is driving 20 miles per day to work and back in rush hour traffic, although i am going out of the centre in the morning and into the centre in the evenings so traffic isn't as bad as it could be.

Associate
It will do that, my needle didnt budge off full for around 80-90miles, got about 250miles out of the 1st half of the tank, then the 2nd half only got around 170miles :confused: Fuel light comes on, 50 miles to go, great loads of time! 10 miles later its at zero with conservative driving :rolleyes:
bloody seats haha still getting used to the torque this has fun to drive and handles pretty well but i put that down to its coilovers. just put another 8 miles onto it and my fuel guage has moved and the trip comp was saying 37.5 mpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As somebody who knows relatively nothing about vehicles mechanicals, its pretty damn obvious that the engine runs rich when cold. The simple fact that its stupidly uneconomical when cold, and that the car produces loads of rich smelling fumes out of the exhausts when cold kind of gives it away :p

Yup :(.

Like I said, I did think it was rich (I even wrote it in my post) and then thought I better double check with google to prevent myself looking like an idiot... Serves me right for trusting what the internet says!

Back
Top Bottom