Whatsapp group chat - SJW's strike again

Soldato
People shouldn't be punished by their university for saying things, as a joke, in private, that has nothing to do with the university at all.

The University have essentially decided to punish 'wrong think'

Context and forum doesn't matter if its expressed in any form you are in for it.

And if it sound a bit like a religious zealot talking about 'eradicating' something (that is a rather universal feature of humanity) its hardly a coincidence. ...

And the use of 'bigot' is always interesting as its pretty much impossible to hold strong views on anything of consequence and not be just a bit bigoted.

bigotry
ˈbɪɡətri/
noun
  1. intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

I for one am certainly 'intolerant' of some other people's views.....

Caporegime
So am I a resident racist for thinking this is ********?

People shouldn't be punished by their university for saying things, as a joke, in private, that has nothing to do with the university at all.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the resident ISIS supporters.

Don
Nope....and well done on disenfranchising all non 'ethnic' Scottish people (your use of words not mine!) in Scotland from being 'Scots'

Bit racist that isn't it? A bit like saying someone of non 'Caucasian' 'White' heritage can't be a 'Brit'

And I don't think the Boyle joke ('Scots are drunk racists') would apply to the nationality 'Scottish' (which would include teetotal Muslims for example) so much as it would be more relevant to the majority 'white' population (the 'ethnic' group)

....And I thought you didn't believe in 'ethnic' groups (different races) anyway?

Boyle was clearly appealing to the ethnic stereotype of a (white) drunk racist from Scotland in his joke not the wider (modern) Nationality itself which likely includes at least 5% non 'white' people by now
I know most people will read what you’ve posted and think it’s daft, but can you refrain from saying I’ve said something a “bit racist” when I didn’t even say what you’ve said I’ve said.

Not cool doing that in a public forum.

Associate
Its pretty clear they are being hyper explicit for the sake of being edgy and comical. A lot of humour comes from saying things you shouldn't. Their friend, Arsalan Motavali, hardly has the most traditional British name so if they were genuinely that racist I cant imagine them having him as a friend and presumably willingly inviting him into their WhatsApp group. Along with people of other races too from what I can make out.

Having said that, a number of their posts do cross the line imo so I can understand what the University did, especially with the media spotlight on them. Although would the same have happened if there was another group using offensive words against white people? I think not!

Caporegime
Well the media spotlight has helped cause the maximum amount of damage to the people concerned.

The guy who reported it was so concerned that he stayed in the group for months and didn't bother reporting it for a while because of his essays or something... then rather than report it to the university and have them deal with it he went public, it went viral and the names are all over the press causing the maximum amount of damage for them. It really does seem like this was something done out of revenge/spite than genuine concern.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Well the media spotlight has helped cause the maximum amount of damage to the people concerned.

The guy who reported it was so concerned that he stayed in the group for months and didn't bother reporting it for a while because of his essays or something... then rather than report it to the university and have them deal with it he went public, it went viral and the names are all over the press causing the maximum amount of damage for them. It really does seem like this was something done out of revenge/spite than genuine concern.

If only there was some way this could all have been avoided.

Soldato
So am I a resident racist for thinking this is ********?

Are you saying a university shouldn't have a student code of conduct? Things such as:

As members of the University, students are expected to treat others with dignity and respect. Students should familiarise themselves with the University's dignity and respect website, including what is harassment, and the University's guides on online activities including the use of email, social media, the University's social media guidance, as well as the good practice guide social media.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/staff/policies/calendar/part1/otherregs/genregs/

Caporegime
Are you saying a university shouldn't have a student code of conduct? Things such as:

As members of the University, students are expected to treat others with dignity and respect. Students should familiarise themselves with the University's dignity and respect website, including what is harassment, and the University's guides on online activities including the use of email, social media, the University's social media guidance, as well as the good practice guide social media.

he's not even mentioned a code of conduct, he was talking about a private conversation... i.e. the subject of this thread

Soldato

Can you show me where I said anything like that? Quotes please.

Soldato
Can you show me where I said anything like that? Quotes please.

You didn't but it's an implication of claiming "People shouldn't be punished by their university for saying things, as a joke, in private, that has nothing to do with the university at all." , because codes of conduct apply to the student's private life as well. So let me ask again, should a student's actions in their private life not be covered by a university's code of conduct?

Caporegime
You didn't but it's an implication of claiming "People shouldn't be punished by their university for saying things, as a joke, in private, that has nothing to do with the university at all." , because codes of conduct apply to the student's private life as well. So let me ask again, should a student's actions in their private life not be covered by a university's code of conduct?

you started off with..

xx4uSUQ.jpg

and now you're asking a general question when you already have an answer form the poster re: the specifics... i.e. a private conversation

of course there are some aspects of a student's private life where the universities code of conduct should and will apply

Caporegime
So a university's code of conduct should not apply to private conversations? Correct?

Depends on the context, you're again making a generalisation when the opinion has already been given for the relevant instance.

You could harass another individual student in a private conversation for example and that would be something they'd probably be interested in.

On the other hand using taboo words, telling taboo jokes etc.. in private isn't something IMO that should have anything to do with them.

Soldato
Depends on the context, you're again making a generalisation when the opinion has already been given for the relevant instance.

You could harass another individual student in a private conversation for example and that would be something they'd probably be interested in.

On the other hand using taboo words, telling taboo jokes etc.. in private isn't something IMO that should have anything to do with them.

We don't live in a binary world, but in the vast majority of cases, yes. When you're chatting with friends and family at home do you abide office/college/OcUK Forum codes of conduct?

Well, since the code of conduct of the major universities I've looked at does cover private conversations, I suppose they should fire whoever wrote them and hire dowie and Skunkworks (and spoffle, perhaps?). You guys should also get the jobs of whoever writes codes of conduct for top 50 law firms, such as Hill Dickinson LLP, since they have no clue what they are doing either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Dickinson

The law firm issued a statement after the screen-grabs were made public, stating that they had revoked his offer of employment, saying "we absolutely do not condone this behaviour."

Back
Top Bottom