Whatsapp group chat - SJW's strike again

Caporegime
Well, since the code of conduct of the major universities I've looked at does cover private conversations, I suppose they should fire whoever wrote them and hire dowie and Skunkworks (and spoffle, perhaps?). You guys should also get the jobs of whoever writes codes of conduct for top 50 law firms, such as Hill Dickinson LLP, since they have no clue what they are doing either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Dickinson

The law firm issued a statement after the screen-grabs were made public, stating that they had revoked his offer of employment, saying "we absolutely do not condone this behaviour."

Now we've got more irrelevant commentary, first you start off today with

"so you're saying"

now apparently there has been a claim that top law firms don't know what they're doing???

why not stick to what has actually been posted and attempt to have a discussion?

Man of Honour
Again it's hardly private either, when it's fora specific group, regardless of how private they or you guys think it is. As soon as you limit it to such things it's very much part of it.

Soldato
Now we've got more irrelevant commentary, first you start off today with

"so you're saying"

now apparently there has been a claim that top law firms don't know what they're doing???

why not stick to what has actually been posted and attempt to have a discussion?

What's there to discuss? They made racist jokes, they used racial slurs, they suffered the consequences according to their university's code of conduct. What exactly is the problem here? Free speech? They didn't get arrested, they're free to continue speaking that way but their former university and future employer are also free to tell them to bugger off.

Man of Honour
Don't worry @Zethor - I follow what you're saying :p

@dowie Zethor is saying that Hill Dickinson clearly think their policies should apply to private conversations, hence binning their future employee. Zethor is further asserting that it is foolish to disagree with Hill Dickenson's approach, since they are "likely to know what they are doing".

I really don't think Zethor is pulling a Cathy Newman!

Soldato
Anyone smart enough to be at university should be aware enough to know that this kind of thing happens, have any opinion or sense of humour you like, but putting that opinion or humour into any kind of channel you don't control is just begging for trouble these days.

Young people are stupid not wise, and probably haven't been helped by the fact that their formative years have been dominated by social media platforms on which many of their peers post about every thought they've ever had in a public way

Caporegime
What's there to discuss? They made racist jokes, they used racial slurs, they suffered the consequences according to their university's code of conduct. What exactly is the problem here? Free speech? They didn't get arrested, they're free to continue speaking that way but their former university and future employer are also free to tell them to bugger off.

I never claimed there was an issue with their future employer telling them to bugger off. It was your silly insinuations that had no relation to what I posted that I took issue with:

"You guys should also get the jobs of whoever writes codes of conduct for top 50 law firms, such as Hill Dickinson LLP, since they have no clue what they are doing either."

Why not stick to what has actually been posted?

Don't worry @Zethor
@dowie Zethor is saying that Hill Dickinson clearly think their policies should apply to private conversations, hence binning their future employee. Zethor is further asserting that it is foolish to disagree with Hill Dickenson's approach, since they are "likely to know what they are doing".

and I don't believe anyone has claimed that the law firm doesn't know what they're doing...

Don't worry @Zethor
I really don't think Zethor is pulling a Cathy Newman!

well you need to look at the post being referred to for a start:

Are you saying a university shouldn't have a student code of conduct?

no one has said that, or even implied that

Man of Honour
@dowie He actually said:

Are you saying a university shouldn't have a student code of conduct? Things such as:

As members of the University, students are expected to treat others with dignity and respect. Students should familiarise themselves with the University's dignity and respect website, including what is harassment, and the University's guides on online activities including the use of email, social media, the University's social media guidance, as well as the good practice guide social media.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/staff/policies/calendar/part1/otherregs/genregs/
I think it’s pretty obvious what he’s getting at - I wouldn’t get so hung up on one sentence removed from the rest of his post.

Off to another BBQ - I suggest y’all do the same \o/

Caporegime
@dowie He actually said:

I think it’s pretty obvious what he’s getting at - I wouldn’t get so hung up on one sentence removed from the rest of his post.

He's already pretty aware of the views that have been given, the whole "so you're saying" and then "so you know better than the law firm" has nothing to do with what has actually been posted...

Is it so hard to discuss what has actually been said?

Soldato
Getting a woman to have sex with you is like spreading butter. You could use your credit card, but it’s much easier with a knife.

I’ll wait for the Hate Police to come through my window SAS style.

Soldato
There needs to be stronger protection of freedom of speech in the UK tbh...

They were quite clearly making very bad taste "jokes".

Bad taste jokes are only permitted if they don't violate the "progressive stack" principle which assigns a hierarchy of inherent victim hood status to thoose contained within it on the basis of their group identity (gender, ethnicity sexuality etc ).

Any group lower down the stack can't make jokes about, criticise or even hold a view on matters pertaining to thoose higher up the stack by this principle without potentially facing severe consequences. The reverse however is not true......

Hence a gay white man like 'journalist' (activist) Owen Jones can make a joke about old white men explicitly referencing their skin color (along with their age) by calling them 'gammon' and the worst he gets is a independent article from a comedian pointing out that he's a massive hypocrite and a bigot despite whatever else he claims to be.

Also one of the most 'white passing' 'persons of color' seen in the media for quite a while can tweet death threats aimed at a whole sex and the CPS decline to follow through with any charges....and she doesn't even get kicked out of her role as 'diversity' officer

Kind of puts rape and nazi pug jokes in context.... Either no one should be allowed to say nasty things about others groups identies (not a great idea as it would be rather a totalitarian system) or else everyone should be allowed to make jokes in similar contexts.......

Back
Top Bottom