Whatsapp group chat - SJW's strike again

Soldato
If you post something online it's out there, waiting to be read by someone else. Why don't people remind themselves this before posting?

If you tell someone you've told everyone.

Caporegime
They were red faced with anger. I don't think that's a racial slur...

I didn't claim it was, but making reference to someones apperance, when skin colour (or similar) is a big factor in the reference being made can be dubious.

"But he does look a bit like a monkey, I'm just talking about his appearance..."

"But they do look like they're squinting..."

Soldato
Threads like this just need to be deleted tbh. Completely pointless and serve nothing other than to further the crap agendas of these idiots, even if unintentional.

Na, its good to weed out the people that don't understand free speech, has anyone said "free speech doesn't mean you can say what you want without consequences" yet?

I like how they include the quotes from the movie "four lions" xD

Caporegime
I never said you were racist.

It is perfectly possible for you to be racist towards your own dad (and/or people like him) though. Just as it is perfectly possible (for example)for a black cop to be racist towards black people, to be more suspicious of them, be more likely to stop and search them etc...

Being of a certain background is not a reason for someone to not be racist towards people from that background any more than say the often cited and rather dubious claim of "I'm not racist, one of my best friends is black" etc...

Na, its good to weed out the people that don't understand free speech, has anyone said "free speech doesn't mean you can say what you want without consequences" yet?

Yup, few pages back. And of course in a similar incident a few days ago in the US an American university released a statement specifically citing the students' constitutionally protected right to freedom of speech as a reason why they couldn't take any action against them.

Whether or not any emoloyer wants to touch them after googling their names is another matter entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
They were red faced with anger. I don't think that's a racial slur...

A human face can only be that colour because the person in question us 'white' and have an excess flow of blood to the capillaries in the face that gives the faces a pinkish colour reminiscent of the colour of gammon.

Its a derogatory term specifically referencing a visible effect which can only be seen with lighter skin tones.

Would it make any sense to call a black African a 'gammon'.... Probably not because their face is unlikely to be capable of looking anything like the colour being referenced.

Soldato
Yup, few pages back. And of course in a similar incident a few days ago in the US an American university released a statement specifically citing the students' constitutionally protected right to freedom of speech as a reason why they couldn't take any action against them.

Whether or not any emoloyer wants to touch them after googling their names is another matter entirely.

Yup, I was in the states when I saw that on the news, "If I was black I'd be picking cotton, but I'm white so I'm picking u 4 prom?"

If that was the UK he'd be in court a few days later.

Caporegime
Yup, I was in the states when I saw that on the news, "If I was black I'd be picking cotton, but I'm white so I'm picking u 4 prom?"

If that was the UK he'd be in court a few days later.

It was actually the two girls who made a video about who can say the n word (or something along those lines) that I was referring to. One of them repeated it over and over again.

Man of Honour
A human face can only be that colour because the person in question us 'white' and have an excess flow of blood to the capillaries in the face that gives the faces a pinkish colour reminiscent of the colour of gammon.

Its a derogatory term specifically referencing a visible effect which can only be seen with lighter skin tones.

Would it make any sense to call a black African a 'gammon'.... Probably not because their face is unlikely to be capable of looking anything like the colour being referenced.
Is describing someone as being red with embarrassment also ‘derogatory’ in your eyes?

I really don’t see how calling someone red faced in reaction to an emotional response can be deemed a racial slur.

I didn't claim it was, but making reference to someones apperance, when skin colour (or similar) is a big factor in the reference being made can be dubious.

"But he does look a bit like a monkey, I'm just talking about his appearance..."

"But they do look like they're squinting..."

Just for reference, these are different because there is no reference to an emotional response.

Caporegime
Is describing someone as being red with embarrassment also ‘derogatory’ in your eyes?

I really don’t see how calling someone red faced in reaction to an emotional response can be deemed a racial slur.

Well "can you blush" is a pretty racist phase when said to black person so...?

Man of Honour
Well "can you blush" is a pretty racist phase when said to black person so...?
I don’t think you can fairly equate a statement in relation to an emotional response to “can you do something which your race is not known to visually demonstrate the well known visual response to”.

Furthermore, they can blush, they just don’t go red in the face. I presume when you say blush you mean ‘go red in the face’ not ‘are you capable of putting more blood through your cheeks’.

Anyway I find this rather absurd (not aiming that at you specifically Tefal) so I’m backing out of the thread now before I get drawn into this further :p

Caporegime
I don’t think you can fairly equate a statement in relation to an emotional response to “can you do something which your race is not known to demonstrate the response to”.

Anyway I find this rather absurd (not aiming that at you specifically Tefal) so I’m backing out of the thread now before I get drawn into this further :p

Well it's kind of like arguing if two sides of a coin are two differnt things or one complete thing.

The Gannon thing is "something your race is known/able to do".

And the blush thing is "something your race is not known/able to do".

Man of Honour
Well it's kind of like arguing if two sides of a coin are two differnt things or one complete thing.

The Gannon thing is "something your race is known/able to do".

And the blush thing is "something your race is not known/able to do".
I really don’t understand why anyone would ask someone whether they can blush and how it would be done in a such an accusational context to make it a racially dubious statement. “Why can’t you blush?” would be a loaded question, outside a physiological / educational discussion, because you’d have to be particularly dense or being deliberately provocative to ask it.

There is a very obvious distinction in my mind between commenting on a physical display of an emotional response of an individual in a specific circumstance (“you are red with anger”) to commenting on whether a particular race can demonstrate such a physical response (“your race cannot go red with anger”). The latter is ‘loaded’ for the aforementioned reasons and would just be a weird / odd statement to make.

Ok - I am leaving the thread now, I promise :p

Man of Honour
“I thought I was out, but they drew me back in” /godfather

Rather arbitrary...

Can easily say someone turned into an "angry gorilla" if you like, doesn't change the point.
That’s completely different from merely ‘looking like a monkey’ because there are additional connotations that may make it more of an acceptable comment (i.e. that a person is demonstrating their anger / agressiveness loudly and proudly like how a gorilla beats it’s chest). In that sense, it has nothing to do with their race.

I can’t fathom why you would say someone ‘looks like a monkey’ without meaning to be intentionally critical of their appearance, and the inference that you are being harshly critical compounds when you say it in respect of someone that if of a race that has been subject to abhorrent and unfair racial abuse for purportedly ‘looking like monkeys’ (which is, obviously, a ridiculous and offensive thing to say). Also, whilst you can say someone is acting like an angry gorilla, I would not use the phrase ‘angry like a gorilla’ in reference to a black person to avoid inferring an obvious, well known and abhorrent racial slur of ‘looking like a monkey’.

Similarly, one can be a ‘cheeky monkey’, which is also different from ‘looking like a monkey’. Like most sane people, with the recent ‘H&M fiasco’ I was of the view that putting a black boy in a jumper that said ‘cheeky monkey’ was probably not intentionally offensive, but I could appreciate the sensitivity because of the double meaning of ‘monkey’ (i.e (a) being playful, or (b) a well known racial slur).

Right I’m off to work and I’m well and truly spent on this, so I shall bid you all good day!

Caporegime
It is utterly arbitrary to point out that one example "gammon faced" relates (in part) to an "emotional response."

For example if some 4chan type describes some BLM protestors as "chimping out" then they're referencing both appearance and emotional response too.

You've been drawn back in seemingly to defend a rather arbitrary and pointeless point. It doesn't change anything really, the examples are still valid and you can switch in "chomping out" if you want an example that also contains an emotional response.

Soldato
For example if some 4chan type describes some BLM protestors as "chimping out" then they're referencing both appearance and emotional response too.

I have never heard the phrase chimping out before but is instantly evocative, I'm immediately thinking of chimps banging hands on floor, making squawky noise and chucking stuff around. I am so going to use that describe tiny tantrums at home now.

edit: maybe not then, a quick google seems to suggest it is used entirely a racial slur.

Back
Top Bottom