When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
The MG is clearly a car for people who want a cheap entry into full EV’s.

Will it provide value for money - no
Will it put a smile on anyone in the market for this type of EV - yes

Soldato
The petrol version of the same car? The point all along.

Who is spending 200 quid a month on fuel for cars like this? Where did that number come from? 10k a year is about 92 quid a month at 45mpg.

I was spending ~£180/month on petrol when I had my ICE before (doing 15k miles @ 35-40mpg), which is just over £10k in 5 years.

If you're on the road doing 20k a year you probably won't want to be doing it in a car like this.

Some people don't have a choice?

I don't dispute that a 25k EV will be worth more at year 5 than a 15k ice equivalent but will it be worth 10k more? I somewhat doubt that. Are you saying that at year 5 you'd have to spend 4k for the ice but over 14k for the ev variant?

It doesn't have to be worth £10k more, obviously no-one really knows what the depreciation is going to do, but unless they both end up at the same used value, you're not actually losing the whole £10k in depreciation.

E.g.
The ICE drops to £10k, cost = £5k
The EV drops to £15k, cost = £10k

The EV is only actually costing you £5k more

Man of Honour
I was spending ~£180/month on petrol when I had my ICE before (doing 15k miles @ 35-40mpg), which is just over £10k in 5 years.

That's not really very relevant when comparing two specific cars - the petrol MG and the EV version of the same car.

Unless your ICE was one of these MGs? Please don't tell me this entire thing has been based on your own spend in a totally different car doing above average annual mileage....

Man of Honour
If the RRP is £25k then it’s pretty much the cheapest EV available, certainly of that size. So there are no other cheaper EV options. I.e. it is cheap

It's not cheap, it's expensive. The fact all the others are expensive doesn't really change the point, it probably enhances it.

At least with the other more expensive ones you get a half decent product - the Polestar looks excellent, we all know the Leaf is a decent option too, but MG?

Soldato
That's not really very relevant when comparing two specific cars - the petrol MG and the EV version of the same car.

Unless your ICE was one of these MGs? Please don't tell me this entire thing has been based on your own spend in a totally different car doing above average annual mileage....

Where's the quoted 45mpg for the petrol MG? Is that real world or manufacturers made up figures? How are the fuel costs for 1 car doing 35-40mpg going to be any different to another car doing 35-40mpg?

And yes, I've already stated several times that this is based on my usage, is dependent on your mileage and how much you drive, and certainly won't apply to everyone. It seems you're unwilling to do the same.

Perhaps then it ought to be cheap.

Again missing the point.

Taking running costs into account, the TCO is similar to that of a £15k ICE.

For that kind of money you're looking at similar lower-end marques such as the Dacia Logan, as you've mentioned the ICE version of the MG, or I think you can just about squeeze a Fabia estate for that money.

I'm sure you wouldn't be seen dead in any of those options, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not cheap, it's expensive. The fact all the others are expensive doesn't really change the point, it probably enhances it.

At least with the other more expensive ones you get a half decent product - the Polestar looks excellent, we all know the Leaf is a decent option too, but MG?

The leaf isn’t a good option in 2020 imo. Both its battery architecture and its charging connector were obsolete before it was even released. It’s too expensive compared to its competitors, doesn’t perform that well and it’s charging connector is seeing little investment in Europe compared to CCS.

Soldato
'lol' indeed.

Yes,lol indeed.

You can't suggest that your way and your opinion are the only right one, right?

If someone has a total budget per year for travel expenses including fuel, and the cost of owning and running a vehicle how hard is it to grasp it doesn't matter which way you do it.

Car A:)

Petrol car cost £15k, and will be taken on a 60 month term with £3,000 deposit, and £12,000 on a loan at a typical rate of 4.0% APR, the cost per month is £220.61 for a total cost of £13,236.67 plus the £3,000 deposit, so £16,236.67 after five years. The cost of depreciation is between 60-70% so we'll call it 65%, leaving a car valued at £5,250 to which you make back that exact amount, total cost for vehicle was £10,986.67

5 years of fuel, using a 12,000 mile as an annual average and a fixed £1.20 per litre with 45MPG gives you a cost for 60,000 miles of £7,262.19. VED somewhere between £100-175 per year, so a middle ground of £137.50, or £687.50 in total, but we'll exclude servicing for this example. So the fuel and VED cost and average of £132.51.

Your cost per month to run your car is £220.61 plus £132.51 giving you a total of £353.12 per month.
The over all total is £10986.67 + £7,262.19 + £687.50, for a TCO of £18,936.36

Car B:)

EV equivalent costs £25k and will be taken on a 60 month term with £3,000 deposit, and £22,000 on a loan at a typical rate of 4.0% APR, the cost per month is £404.45, for a total cost of £24,267.23 plus the £3,000 deposit, so £27,267.23 after five years. The cost of depreciation is between 60-70% so we'll call it 65%, leaving a car valued at £8,750 to which you make back that exact amount, total cost for vehicle was £18,517.23

5 years of energy, using a 12,000 mile as an annual average and an average cost of 10p per kWh and a 4mpkWh average, gives you a cost for 60,000 miles of £1,500, we'll assume the zero VED stay in for at least 3 years, but may need to add £200 to the TCO at the end, the average cost of energy per month is therefore £25

Your cost per month to run your car is £404.45 plus £25 giving you a total of £429.45 per month.
The over all total is £18,517.23 + £1,500 + £200 (speculative VED), for a TCO of £20,217.23

Car B costs a total of £256.17 more per year to run, or £21.34 per month. If we bothered to took servicing into account it would be break even give or take £10, IMO.

So yes the BEV is more expensive, but you are trying to make it sound like the extra £10k upfront is making it massively different when in fact it isn't, and the Petrol car will likely be worth the approximate amount quoted but the BEV will likely retain more value as the prevalence and demand for EV's goes up and petrol goes down by 2025/26 second hand value will be reasonable.

Obviously if you were putting the difference per month of £76.33 * 60 into a 2% interest bond account, over the course of 5 years you'd have deposited £4,579.80 and have made a compound interest of £240.63, or an average of £4.01 per month interest over 5 years.

Man of Honour
I have to say that is a very comprehensive and well argued response and not what I was expecting to get back :D It's very sensitive to things like projected residuals however and I suspect they'll influence things enough to push the balance further in favour of the ICE version of the car.

Man of Honour
And yes, I've already stated several times that this is based on my usage, is dependent on your mileage and how much you drive, and certainly won't apply to everyone. It seems you're unwilling to do the same.

Because it's a stupid way to do it. You don't have an MG Petrol, therefore the consumption of your previous car is absolutely immaterial to the point at hand. The correct way to do it is exactly how Journey has just comprehensively replied.

When you're comparing Car A and Car B in a discussion like this, of which you own neither, you can't use your own experience of costs - you need to take expected average costs for the average purchaser.

Soldato
For me, I only do about 3000 miles a year so an EV would be perfect. But for me it's far cheaper to run an older big guzzler, than stump up for a Leaf etc. I'd be the perfect candidate for one.

Soldato
Because it's a stupid way to do it. You don't have an MG Petrol, therefore the consumption of your previous car is absolutely immaterial to the point at hand. The correct way to do it is exactly how Journey has just comprehensively replied.

When you're comparing Car A and Car B in a discussion like this, of which you own neither, you can't use your own experience of costs - you need to take expected average costs for the average purchaser.

Why? When I'm buying a car, I'm not buying it for Mr Average Purchaser, therefore their average expected costs are irrelevant to me; I'm buying a car for myself so it absolutely makes sense for me to use my own experience of costs.

Even keeping the 45mpg value, if I plug my mileage figures, electricity cost and drop the EV to a more realistic 3.6mpkw into what Journey has posted it makes the EV ~£1k cheaper over the 5 years.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why? When I'm buying a car, I'm not buying it for Mr Average Purchaser, therefore their average expected costs are irrelevant to me; I'm buying a car for myself so it absolutely makes sense for me to use my own experience of costs

Because we're discussing the merits of the MG EV versus the ice version of the same car, not your personal car choices.

Which EV did you buy?

Soldato
Because we're discussing the merits of the MG EV versus the ice version of the same car, not your personal car choices.

Which is fair enough. But just because it isn't suitable for Mr Average, doesn't mean it isn't suitable for everyone.

Which EV did you buy?

I bought the 41kw Zoe, which based on the spreadsheet I made would have (vs the 2006 petrol Civic I had before) been somewhere between costing me ~£50/month or saving me ~£80/month depending on what it's worth when I replace it and what the hypothetical repair/replacement costs would have been for a 14 year old ICE doing 15k miles/year.

Of course, given the current situation and the fact we're now doing about 10 miles/week due to WFH and not being able to go anywhere, it turns out that it wasn't the best decision, and sticking to the 14 year old ICE would have been better, but then who could have predicted this? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
In journeys ownership equation, I'd add, against the ev:
- the Insurance cost, the earlier quoted £600 for a model3, versus £250 I pay on a 320i, OK - that offsets the 0%ved on the bev.
- The future 2nd hand bev values - with rapid evolution of the market, plus, concerns that battery longevity, whilst Tesla may have mastered it, does not necessarily hold true for other manufacturers, means, I'd use a PCP to mitigate the risk, albeit, having to then, mollycoddle, a car I don't own.

Back
Top Bottom