When are you going fully electric?

Associate
I predict the next thread titled "Neighbour tripped over my charging cable and is suing me, should I poo through his letterbox?"

:p

Haha. Going to buy a cable ramp before using it. And obviously let them know about it when they move in.

Or, Neighbour unplugged my car, it only has 10 mile range and I'm planning to do a 50 mile trip :( :p

In theory, you can't unplug while it's charging...in theory...

Soldato
Little minkeys, if you want to call them that, also slash tyres and key cars. ***** gonna ****.

@Bravetart, I don't have a driveway for my EV and have cable covers, motion light and security camera for running across the pavement so let me know if you need anything like that.

Associate
Little minkeys, if you want to call them that, also slash tyres and key cars. ***** gonna ****.

@Bravetart, I don't have a driveway for my EV and have cable covers, motion light and security camera for running across the pavement so let me know if you need anything like that.

Just ordered a cable cover from the rainforest. Should have a motion sensor light going on the front door soon too and the Nest doorbell for security, cheers!

Soldato

They occasionally drain fuel tanks too. Granted, it's a bit more difficult than it used to be. But I wouldn't say an EV charge cable is any less secure than a fuel tank :p

Caveat: the original Leaf had a toggle switch on the dash with settings which could leave the cable unlocked. If you left the switch on the wrong setting, nicking the cable would be easy.

Soldato
Suddenly some good deals around on Model S on business contract hire.

3+23 months / 5,000 miles per year - £677

Think that's about 23% of p11d value

The problem is that no one should be buying a model S right now unless you really need/want it right now, it was due a big facelift 2 years ago let alone in 2020.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a new version launched any day now, that said people have been saying that for the best part of 2 years.

Associate
I have seen a terraced house near me with a BMW i3 and a charging cable going out the window and across the path. Is it legal and will it become normal. I would get an EV if there was better charging infrastructure or I had a drive.

Caporegime
I have seen a terraced house near me with a BMW i3 and a charging cable going out the window and across the path. Is it legal and will it become normal. I would get an EV if there was better charging infrastructure or I had a drive.

A power cable over a public path is not illegal, but the council could ban you doing it, if somebody complained.

Soldato
A power cable over a public path is not illegal, but the council could ban you doing it, if somebody complained.

That’s not entirely correct. The council could serve a Prohibition Notice if it was a nuisance or dangerous. Or they could take civil action if you were blocking the footpath. As I understand it both @Russinating and @Bravetart use a proper cable ramp that would not obstruct the footpath to pedestrians, proms or wheelchairs and is specifically designed to reduce the trip hazard to an acceptable level so they would have no grounds to stop them using the cable in this way.

Soldato
as previously discussed, you have to check you have necessary public liability on your home insurance; our local town streets, with eldely folks, it would be risky.
(to wit ...our local window cleaner seems to think he can let water feed tubes lay in the road, but on a bike if you hit it at wrong angle you'd be off )

Soldato
as previously discussed, you have to check you have necessary public liability on your home insurance; our local town streets, with eldely folks, it would be risky.
(to wit ...our local window cleaner seems to think he can let water feed tubes lay in the road, but on a bike if you hit it at wrong angle you'd be off )

I actually discussed this with my EHO when he came to do a factory inspection and in Norfolk so long as you’re not obstructing the pavement and you’ve made provisions for safety, you’re fine,

Soldato
The problem is that no one should be buying a model S right now unless you really need/want it right now, it was due a big facelift 2 years ago let alone in 2020.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a new version launched any day now, that said people have been saying that for the best part of 2 years.

The new version is Plaid and it’s the same car with a battery/power upgrade. Last year we had Raven (more range, more power) and soon we’ll get Plaid. Plaid is supposedly as much as is possible with the S. 520 miles range, 200mph and 1.9s 0-60. That’ll be a handful I reckon!

Soldato
Just when I thought the period of being paid to use electricity on Octopus Agile was over...

5.5 hours of below zero pricing tonight, hitting a low of -8.64p per kWh. Don't think I've seen it that low before. Must be a windy night off-shore :p Prices are <5p per kWh from 10:30 tonight through to 9am tomorrow.

Unfortunately I charged my car last night and only drove 8 miles today :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Just when I thought the period of being paid to use electricity on Octopus Agile was over...

5.5 hours of below zero pricing tonight, hitting a low of -8.64p per kWh. Don't think I've seen it that low before. Must be a windy night off-shore :p Prices are <5p per kWh from 10:30 tonight through to 9am tomorrow.

Unfortunately I charged my car last night and only drove 8 miles today :rolleyes:

I'm really tempted to go on Agile but ill drive my wife nuts trying to micromanage our usage.

You could stick a load of heaters in the garden and make money wasting electricity couldn't you? Not that I would ofcourse.

Soldato
I'm really tempted to go on Agile but ill drive my wife nuts trying to micromanage our usage.

You could stick a load of heaters in the garden and make money wasting electricity couldn't you? Not that I would ofcourse.

Yup. You are helping to keep the grid on and balanced but obviously it's better to use it doing things of use/that you would be doing some other time regardless. It was negative pricing for a whole Sunday a few months ago so as well as charging the car we did a load of washes (literally emptied the basket which NEVER happens!), tumbled, did the oven's pyroclastic cleaning thing etc.

I had -9p early yesterday morning too but car was already on 75% :(. Not much else I can do or schedule at 4am that's worth it!

Caporegime
Yup. You are helping to keep the grid on and balanced but obviously it's better to use it doing things of use/that you would be doing some other time regardless. It was negative pricing for a whole Sunday a few months ago so as well as charging the car we did a load of washes (literally emptied the basket which NEVER happens!), tumbled, did the oven's pyroclastic cleaning thing etc.

I had -9p early yesterday morning too but car was already on 75% :(. Not much else I can do or schedule at 4am that's worth it!

Time to invest in a powerwall.

Back
Top Bottom