When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yes - with the PHEV the challenge would be to try and arrive home with zero charge, on hot&cold days.
Pre-lock I had each way commute 21 miles of 50mph (25min), and ~4 miles of 30mph stop-start(15min), so the electric could be used exclusively on the slow bit, but might need help on the initial faster stretch, plus, you'd probably need to bring the ICE up to temperature, anyway, for cabin heating, and some modicum of efficiency.

I think I've rationalised that rather than another car from the same generation we'll go for one of the first of the next gen Mini electric. Provided BMW don't ruin it, which is a real chance given current efforts.

If BMW ruin it buy one from another manufacturer.
We all know your a BMW fanboy, but your don't HAVE to get a BMW

I'm messing with you, a bit

BMW will have to come to the party eventually, they started great and its almost like they scared themselves. None of the existing ICE manufacturers are going to be big players in 20 years if in 10 years they are not significantly further on than they are now. Thats still plenty of time.

I see far less EV fanboys than ICE fanboys to be honest.

We simply have to move away from fossil fuels. Most of us are lucky enough that should we choose to, bar some likely agro towards the end we will quite possibly be able to carry on driving ICE cars until we no longer drive.
They wont be new ones by that time, but should you really wish I am sure you can carry on.

All the people I know who live in town centres and cites say they noticed significant improvement in air quality. One of them actually stopped using an inhaler for a short while during the big lockdown but a few days after it was lifted they said they had started to need to use it a bit. Its still less than it was in general but it goes to show how improving air quality will have an impact on peoples lives.

Soldato
The issue with PHEV's is that people just don't know how to use them properly. People just leave them in auto mode and let the ICE kick in whenever it likes and get home with loads of charge left in the battery. They then subsequently complain that they don't get the MPG. You then also have the group who just use them as a company car tax dodge and don't even bother to plug them in. To get the most out of them you really need to work the driving modes for your individual journeys, that's fine for a certain type of customer but not your average buyer who just wants to turn the car on and drive it.

There is certainly going to have to be a lot of re-education for both BEV's and PHEV's alike but for different reasons.
Yeah, its a shame that they will be sidelined out of the equation really. I'm sure there was more potential there by making the vehicle more intelligent. Punch your route into the satnav and it will decide where to deploy the ICE and Electricity. Set off at 8am on a weekday and the car assumes you are heading to work on the route its analysed you driving so it knows the best way to deploy the battery allowing for real time weather conditions and traffic... that sort of stuff.

You could get several PHEV battery packs from the resources it takes to make 1 EV battery pack which will make a difference if adoption really ramps up, unless battery tech changes dramatically that is.

Soldato
Very tempted with the pug e-2008.

Currently through the Wifes NHS scheme we can get one for £199 per month (salary sacrifice to note).

This is for the top spec GT in the metallic orange and includes all maintenance, insurance, breakdown etc etc.

Does anyone have any experience ordering through this scheme... On the Peugeot website they are currently offering a choice of free cable charger, subsidised wall box or 6 months free charge... Do you get the option of these going via a lease company?

Caporegime
Very tempted with the pug e-2008.

Currently through the Wifes NHS scheme we can get one for £199 per month (salary sacrifice to note).

This is for the top spec GT in the metallic orange and includes all maintenance, insurance, breakdown etc etc.

Does anyone have any experience ordering through this scheme... On the Peugeot website they are currently offering a choice of free cable charger, subsidised wall box or 6 months free charge... Do you get the option of these going via a lease company?

I got my Ipace through NHS fleet a couple of months back. What do you want to know?

NHS fleet offers wall chargers with the lease, they're partly subsidised by the Government scheme and it adds about £3 a month to the lease cost (although it was free with Audis iirc).

Associate
new gridserve opened in Essex, expect up to 100 more , looks good
Good to see that these charging stations are popping up and that there will be more. I am still very much in the ICE camp, for me its to long to wait for a charge and wow a building for everyone to consume more products. I know petrol stations have them also, but I just pay and leave I don’t browse. At one of these I will have to sit around and wait. Take a book or something to do.

Soldato
According to this (and I’ve not checked any more extensively) fleet and business is 52% of sales this year. And the report seems to think it’s massively down on previous years, which would match what I’ve always thought - it’s more like 25% private, 75% fleet/business.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fl...siness-new-car-registrations-fail-to-lift-off

Within fleet and business there is daily rental, Motability, and the manufacturer's own registrations (press, demo, employee cars). These account for more than half of this segment.

Historically, private has been c.45% of new car registrations. 25% is a long way off.

Soldato
Re. Hybrids, I've often wondered why the true REX model (e.g. Ampera, i3) isn't more popular. Seems it has most of the advantages of both a PHEV and pure EV, whilst minimising the disadvantages.

You get the nice smooth electric drive, minimal emissions (depending on how its driven), unlimited range/quick refuelling from the ICE, and surely its simpler & more efficient to have the ICE engine set up purely to charge the battery whilst running at optimal RPM & gearing vs integrating it into the drive train with all the fancy gearbox etc. that requires?

An Ampera style set up with a 20-30kWh battery (so 80-10 miles range) would surely be ideal for the vast majority of people?

Soldato
I think the REX option doesn't have the overall efficiency, having to stop/start the ICE, irregularly for recharging, unlike a diesel electric train, where it is driven pretty much at a constant speed.

With ice in our cul-de-sac this morning, would have been interesting to try (review criticised) kona ev traction control, how perceptible are the mechanisms,
and whether you nonetheless get a feeling of the road surface traction.
A user programmable torque curve on an ev would be interesting option (formula e may not have traction control, but may have that), but maybe the throttle 'softening' options are that.

June, albeit covid impacted, was ~50:50private/fleet, in quantity, but, maybe not value.
Does/will the 0% BIK ev, concession, ultimately distort the market for 2nd hand values, or private owners ?
some 70% of mod3's are fleet, with that in mind tesla may take some additional margin, meaning private buyer is disadvantaged.
Do we know if the purchases were company/businees biased
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/105893/new-car-sales-reach-145000-june-dealers-reopen
ok - thought it was private that would suffer more, and business from higher waged professionals, would hold.

Does anyone have any experience ordering through this scheme...
there was a recent informative run down of pension implications in another thread.

Soldato
Within fleet and business there is daily rental, Motability, and the manufacturer's own registrations (press, demo, employee cars). These account for more than half of this segment.

Historically, private has been c.45% of new car registrations. 25% is a long way off.

I can’t find anything showing private sales numbers that high. I can find plenty of editorial that says car hire companies and businesses are not replacing cars because there is no demand in those sectors. And that’s depressing the fleet/business share of the market. But there’s no point in falling out over it. And, as looks like we’re getting a no-deal Brexit I’m still watching those new car prices!

Soldato
I think the REX option doesn't have the overall efficiency, having to stop/start the ICE, irregularly for recharging, unlike a diesel electric train, where it is driven pretty much at a constant speed.

I thought that was how the range extenders worked. They drove a petrol engine at a constant rate and that charged the batteries.

As for the Kona, it will get happily spin up the fronts on ice. I think that’s not unique to the Kona though. The throttle pedal is increasing desensitised from Sport, through Comfort to Eco and Eco+. So bad drivers with heavy right feet will be able to spin up the wheels if the want to. I just happen to choose not to.

Soldato
I thought that was how the range extenders worked. They drove a petrol engine at a constant rate and that charged the batteries.

That's what I thought, e.g. Run battery down to 10%, turn on petrol engine for 20 mins to charge up to 100%, repeat. Maybe not as efficient as running a petrol engine for an hour at constant speed on the motorway, but with a bigger battery the petrol engine would be able to run for longer to charge it, plus it would only need to be used on longer journeys outside of the EV range

Back
Top Bottom