When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
It’s obvious the steering wheel in the mock up images is a marketing exercise. Tesla has history including stuff in concepts which is either not legal or possible.

The F1 style wheel will probably be a no cost option for those that want it.

Soldato
It’s obvious the steering wheel in the mock up images is a marketing exercise. Tesla has history including stuff in concepts which is either not legal or possible.

The F1 style wheel will probably be a no cost option for those that want it.

Appears to be the default option when you order the car with no obvious option for the round wheel. Some peeps have found images of a possible option but not sure that's been confirmed.

Caporegime
I have to say when I first saw the pictures I just sat staring at the screen with my mouth open mentally screaming WTF?

But after the sales people called to ask if I want to continue with my Plaid (Plus) order (more money!) or take a current model from stock (less money!) and it was explained that a conventional round steering wheel would be a no-cost retrofit if I didn’t like the yoke and the clarification that the forward/reverse selector will be on the centre screen in a big graphic when the car is in neutral I was a lot happier.

As I understand it, the car will ‘energise’ when you sit in it with your phone and when you put your foot on the brake it will wait then select the most logical direction of travel based on the sensors IF YOU SET THAT IN THE MENU. Otherwise, it just displays forwards and backwards buttons on the centre screen. So it’s mad, but in a controllable way.

Good news about the wheel.

The foward/reverse is still a backwards step IMO.

Though I am of course jealous that you have ordered a £130,000 Plaid+ :)

I'll have to contend myself with my leased Polestar 2 when it eventually arrives.

Associate
From memory they don't grit a lot. They get the snow-ploughs out early and everyone has winter tyres (a legal requirement since 2010). If you drive on the roads the roads warm up and the snow clears. They also sometimes use liquid de-icer on the roads. Austrian wine some folks call it.

And realistically you wouldn't be be doing Vmax runs on a snowy day anyway.

I drove back from UK > Leipzig just after Christmas. It was snowing through most of Germany, fog, -5 to -10. I passed about 3 gritters between Dortmund and Leipzig between 8-10 PM. Still people going over 200km/h. Nuts.

Associate
I know that area pretty well having worked at Heidemark in Muetzschen. I used to run around in a RHD Audi TT and in those days the farmers quite often had horse-drawn carts and they did a double take at the TT and then again when they realised there was no-one in the "driver's seat". Good times!

Haha, yes that's just down the road from here. Haven't seen any horse-drawn carts, though, but plenty of farmers out here in Saxony. Some crazy country roads around too, all with sharp corners for no reason with no notice. A lot are raised with field run off channels right by the side, so if you go off you really are in trouble.

When I first moved here I had my right hand drive car from the UK. Caused a lot of interest. Also caused quite a lot of problems with trams on roads! ha. Can't see round the damn things. So fairly quickly made the decision to sell it and go left hand drive. I have an Audi too.. A4 Quattro 3.0 Diesel. Definately helpful here in the winter, although the last few have been very mild (says I as I type this with 3 inches of snow on the ground for the last 3 weeks! and -8 last night)

Soldato
Good news about the wheel.

The foward/reverse is still a backwards step IMO.

Though I am of course jealous that you have ordered a £130,000 Plaid+ :)

I'll have to contend myself with my leased Polestar 2 when it eventually arrives.

God point made in a vid I watched just now that the yoke style steering wheel could be a step towards a retractable wheel in an autonomous vehicle. Much easier to hide than big round wheel.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
As an ex Model S owner and current Model 3 owner I'm very excited by the refresh and I've already got my deposit in. Tesla had to set the Model S apart from the 3 and Y by making it as futuristic feeling as possible and I think they've succeeded. Other manufacturers have got a lot of catching up to do.

I'm concerned about the indicators being on the wheel - I've never seen this done successfully. I'm even more concerned about the removal of the gear selector - having the override on the MCU isn't really sufficient. For instance the other day my MCU crashed but I could still drive while I waited for it to reboot. I'm not at all concerned about the yoke wheel unless there's some legislative reason why it can't be sold in the UK like that, I imagine they're going to fit a much quicker rack and you won't need to move your hands except for parking. It's also really ******* cool.

Soldato
AOther manufacturers have got a lot of catching up to do.

For instance the other day my MCU crashed but I could still drive while I waited for it to reboot.
Apologies for the selective quote but I so often read that other manufacturers have so much catching up to do while it sounds like Tesla themselves still have to get the fundamentals right. You can put all the trick stuff you want into a car but the moment that stops working it becomes a huge liability.

"Why are you randomly stopped at the side of the road?" Oh it's ok, I'm just waiting for my car to reboot so I can adjust my windscreen wipers...

Soldato
You might want a quick rack on a f1 car, but for 'average' user, a steering wheel adjustment that would take you off the road might be disconcerting,
you'd have to change yor grip technique too, can't let it run back through your hands, as many do.

Hadn't realised the WRC cars will be hybrid next year, until I saw MC ralley last night ...
but intially the electric assist is just for urban sections, you still need some homogation/feed-thru though ?

Soldato
Has anyone spotted the new active noise cancellation on the refreshed Model S?

If they get that working anywhere near as well ANC headphones the interior may be spookily quiet! I’m very intrigued to start reading about this when it’s released.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Apologies for the selective quote but I so often read that other manufacturers have so much catching up to do while it sounds like Tesla themselves still have to get the fundamentals right. You can put all the trick stuff you want into a car but the moment that stops working it becomes a huge liability.

"Why are you randomly stopped at the side of the road?" Oh it's ok, I'm just waiting for my car to reboot so I can adjust my windscreen wipers...

Sorry, fair point, what I really meant to say is that other manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do in terms of futurism and forward thinking. I think it's fair to say that, if it weren't for the Model S, the current crop of mainstream EVs would not exist in the form they are today. I'm far from a fanboy, their cars are not perfect in terms of quality however they're improving quickly. My 2020 Model 3 is a vastly superior car to my 2016 Model S. I'm hoping the revised Model S moves the game on even further.

Soldato
Has anyone spotted the new active noise cancellation on the refreshed Model S?

If they get that working anywhere near as well ANC headphones the interior may be spookily quiet! I’m very intrigued to start reading about this when it’s released.

Yes I saw this, very clever idea if it works while the audio system isn't in use playing music or other noises as well just travelling in quiet.

I guess it can be improved over time as well since it will be software based other than the microphones installed, which I assume there are several.

Man of Honour
The concept has been around for a while, I drove a Cadillac with active noise cancellation 8 years ago.

Odd that it didn't seem to catch on.

Soldato
F Pace, Velar and XF all have it for 21MY update, I'm keen to experience that. It's describes as up to 10dB reduction and a minimum of 3dB.

Several mics in cabin and body mounted to balance the inputs between airborne noise and structural borne. The speakers essentially play an inverse soundwave to oppose that frequency of noise.

https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/e...cancellation-tech-helps-reduce-driver-fatigue

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll be great for the ever changing road surfaces where one minute your are on super smooth tarmac, then you are on something that resembles rubble. Will be interesting to know if you could hear the difference not just feel it.

Associate
Anyone who ordered the Plaid back in November on the pre-order know if they contact you? or do you need to contact them?

Had mine ordered since day 1 so hope it should put me at the Plaid+ automatically.

Soldato
I didn't realise you had a VW iD3.
ID3 is a prime example of what, IMO, consumers shouldn't have to deal with - "We'll take your money now and give you a fully working product, er, at some point."

It's bad enough it has become the industry standard for video games but its a complete joke to think that may become how we buy cars costing tens of thousands of pounds.
Sorry, fair point, what I really meant to say is that other manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do in terms of futurism and forward thinking. I think it's fair to say that, if it weren't for the Model S, the current crop of mainstream EVs would not exist in the form they are today. I'm far from a fanboy, their cars are not perfect in terms of quality however they're improving quickly. My 2020 Model 3 is a vastly superior car to my 2016 Model S. I'm hoping the revised Model S moves the game on even further.

Oh, I agree that they have been part of the driving force that has led to the ever growing range of EVs we have now. I just think their technical ambition sometimes runs away with them and the owner suffers when it goes belly up.

Soldato
Anyone who ordered the Plaid back in November on the pre-order know if they contact you? or do you need to contact them?

Had mine ordered since day 1 so hope it should put me at the Plaid+ automatically.

You should have been contacted. They sent me a text message asking me to call a number in the UK that was answered by an American who I suspect wasn't in the UK. He took me through the options (the Plaid isn't the Plaid that I ordered, that is the Plaid Plus) and it's more expensive than indicated. If I didn't want to pay more they offered a switch-sale to a stock car which I declined. I'm waiting to hear back from the leasing company what the extra monthly cost will be. Not much in terms of the overall monthly payment I would imagine.

I'm still reeling from the idea that the boss would let me have a £142,000 Tesla but definitely not a Bentley Flying Spur. :(

Back
Top Bottom