When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I agree.
I like the wheel design and the gold seat belts add some character to the interior but the manual adjustable dampers and brakes are surplus.
Yeah, the more I look at it, the less it makes sense.

There is a leather option that I could use the surplus allowance on, instead.

Caporegime
Yeah, the more I look at it, the less it makes sense.

There is a leather option that I could use the surplus allowance on, instead.

Personally, I think the leather looks hideous.

polestar-2-nappa-leather-barley-interior-rearward-view.jpg

Permabanned
What are you currently leasing and what is your total budget inc fuel etc. ?

We have no need of an electric car at all to be honest, I just quite fancy one. :p If we ever get back to normal we do about 6-8k miles a year at most.

Current car is an Astra so nothing fancy, however its an Elite Nav with 200bhp. Actually goes and handles reasonably, 7.3s to 60, reasonably specced for a cheap hatch, plus its dirt cheap, £150 a month.
I cant really see anything that would match that in electric form, never mind better it.

Shame Honda E has no range else that would be my choice for the few times a year we do 100+ miles.

Soldato
Few months till our lease is up and 2 years later I still find myself going "meh" to 99% of the available electric cars, that are more reasonably priced. Suspect it will be a petrol again. :(

Drive a couple. See how you feel. I think bizarrely the torque-thrust thing suits diesel owners better than petrol owners who tend to like revvy engines. If it's just about performance then electric seems to have petrol pretty much matched or beaten.

Soldato
I cant really see anything that would match that in electric form, never mind better it.

My Ioniq would give it a good run for its money. :)

In fact you should look at them if you want a good value low mileage deal, they are stacked with the latest technology, and can often be had for ~£190pcm on 5k/8k PCH deal. They have loads of room inside, are super efficient and very comfortable.

Soldato
Ionic or The Zoe are good good options at the more price friendly end of the spectrum. Zoe is of course a smaller car but none the less it is very will regarded (make sure you get one with CCS charging as it’s still isn’t standard...).

That said you can’t just compare the cost of the PCH, you need to look at the total cost of ownership. Remember the fuel will be 1/3 or even 1/4 the cost of a diesel or petrol equivalent.

daz

daz

Soldato
Anyone else drive an ICE car occasionally after owning an electric and find yourself lifting off the accelerator expecting the speed to come off? :o

Soldato
We have no need of an electric car at all to be honest, I just quite fancy one. :p If we ever get back to normal we do about 6-8k miles a year at most.

Current car is an Astra so nothing fancy, however its an Elite Nav with 200bhp. Actually goes and handles reasonably, 7.3s to 60, reasonably specced for a cheap hatch, plus its dirt cheap, £150 a month.

Shame Honda E has no range else that would be my choice for the few times a year we do 100+ miles.

I wouldn’t rule out anything - try an MG ZS. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Soldato
If you were using the brakes on your ICE you were doing it wrong,
even though, on an ev, it gets recovered, that's not 100% re-embursement, you are better off not wasting it initially.

following discussion on ice (so far?)mileage blocking , thought the other day, in the used car market, brake pads replacement is a good indelible indication of how car was used.

edit: still seems marginal when the ev energy recovery could cause lock-up,
the inverse need to traction control (edit2: abs like), obvs some ev's recommend you turn it off in snow,
and tesla removed some levels.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am sure Tesla will be working on the Model 3 Plaid or equivalent, given how popular that segment size is, which should provide interesting performance, not that they need to make it any faster, it is just getting silly now. :)

Doubt it. They struggled to sell ModelS/X due to Model3/Y being much cheaper and not having much to differentiate apart from physical size. They've done enough to the S and X to make them stand out now and realising a new higher end Model 3 would cannibalise those margins.

Heck even I went from a ModelSP100D to a Model 3 Performance due to being almost no differences relevant to me but 0.5s 0-60, while being half the cost. The Model3 was even better as it had upgraded MCU when MS/MX didn't at the time.

With the Model S Plaid+ offering so much more, it made sense for me to go for that this time despite the cost difference.

Soldato
Doubt it. They struggled to sell ModelS/X due to Model3/Y being much cheaper and not having much to differentiate apart from physical size. They've done enough to the S and X to make them stand out now and realising a new higher end Model 3 would cannibalise those margins.

Heck even I went from a ModelSP100D to a Model 3 Performance due to being almost no differences relevant to me but 0.5s 0-60, while being half the cost. The Model3 was even better as it had upgraded MCU when MS/MX didn't at the time.

With the Model S Plaid+ offering so much more, it made sense for me to go for that this time despite the cost difference.

Don’t forget the fact that the Model S was only faster in Ludicrous mode and that wasn’t always available whereas the M3P always has its performance available. I’d also argue that the Model 3 is a far more usable car in the UK as the Model X and Model S are pretty big, wide, cars.

I agree, I don’t think we’ll see a faster Model 3 until the competition catches up.

Back
Top Bottom