When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
So my local Tesco now has the free Pod Point 7KW chargers installed- Thought i'd drop by and try them out.
A chap in a Leaf was parked up and was asking about my car as it was the first one he had seen. Then precedes to give me the full detailed history of his 7 year Leaf ownership :p:(
Thankfully, he had gone when I finished my shop.

50997017926_d963d964e6_b.jpg

Soldato
Is that Tesco in Redditch? Still waiting for order confirmation of my Polestar. Submitted it 3 weeks ago through work and LeasePlan trying their best to mess it up :p

Soldato
Is that Tesco in Redditch? Still waiting for order confirmation of my Polestar. Submitted it 3 weeks ago through work and LeasePlan trying their best to mess it up :p
You got it :)
The chargers are only 7KW so you don't get much of a battery fill, but the priority parking near the the entrance and more space to get out / less chance of a door ding is where the value is for me.

Caporegime
What's the maximum time you can spend on it?

Our Tesco (Chelmsford) is right near the town, so people used to park there for free.

Eventually Tesco got fed up and bought in licence plate cameras so they only let you park for 15 minutes unless you spend £5 in store, at which point you would get a parking barcode thing you could scan to confirm you had done a shop - This was all pre-covid though, I've not done a shop there for over a year.

Our council put in 50Kw chargers in the council run car parks, which aren't free to use but you are allowed to park for 3 hours free of charge which will be quite handy.

nam

nam

Soldato
Will miss the Tesla M3 Performance when it goes back next month had no issues in 2 years just did not drive it as much due to covid restrictions, but as i will not be driving as much in the future the seat Mii for delivery in April should be ideal :)

Soldato
You got it :)
The chargers are only 7KW so you don't get much of a battery fill, but the priority parking near the the entrance and more space to get out / less chance of a door ding is where the value is for me.
Sounds like a bad idea to me and why I prefer our lidl. The charge points there are at the back of the car park, where they won't get ICE'd. The cost of driving there and back is pretty much covered by a slow mooch about the shop and a coffee :p

Soldato
The voltage generated by the back EMF currents has no where do go if the car is broken and the motor is spinning.... very bad!
not sure, if the rotor isn't permanent magnets, is towing a problem ... but moreover if regen were operating would the tyres drag too much/wear out.

I think the current Ioniq has bordom licked aswell whilst you are playing Top Trumps :p;)
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean... or is it a thinly veiled insult of some sort?
Ioniq has had good residuals so maybe he was being ioniq ... to early to tell on model 3 @ 3 years - ecosytem evolves.

Going from a model 3 to a seat mii ? not a corsa-e say

Soldato
Does anyone know the law regarding charging cables and pavements?

We're getting chargers installed at work, so I'd normally be able to use them, but would need the option to charge at home, with only on-street parking. Quiet road so I can always get parked out front, but it would mean a cable across the pavement.

Has there been any legal action to clarify whether this is acceptable, or if you need a ramp over it or whatever?

Man of Honour
The pavement doesn't belong to you and is a public right of way. What do you think the acceptable answer is as to whether you can leave cables on it?

Soldato
Does anyone know the law regarding charging cables and pavements?

We're getting chargers installed at work, so I'd normally be able to use them, but would need the option to charge at home, with only on-street parking. Quiet road so I can always get parked out front, but it would mean a cable across the pavement.

Has there been any legal action to clarify whether this is acceptable, or if you need a ramp over it or whatever?

Not sure about case laws etc. but your local council may provide some 'good practice' guidance - https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/electric-vehicles/ev-charging-guidance - for example.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ully-electric.18829138/page-153#post-34548827

This is another solution being trialed.

Soldato
Not sure about case laws etc. but your local council may provide some 'good practice' guidance - https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/electric-vehicles/ev-charging-guidance - for example.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ully-electric.18829138/page-153#post-34548827

This is another solution being trialed.

Cheers, nothing my from council I can find. In a bit of a charger free zone here, I'd have to drive to Donington Park which has some Tesla 7kw points.

May start nagging the council to get some points put in local.

Caporegime
Cheers, nothing my from council I can find. In a bit of a charger free zone here, I'd have to drive to Donington Park which has some Tesla 7kw points.

May start nagging the council to get some points put in local.
Prob worth living in the car too if thats how you are going to charge it!

nam

nam

Soldato
there was a solution which was i saw proposed was having numbered parking in front of houses (without off-street parking) so you could park in front of your own house each day , which is also a big problem. This seems like a good idea as more and more electric cars are parked on a street

Last edited:
Soldato
there was a solution which was i saw proposed was having numbered parking in front of houses (without off-street parking) so you could park in front of your own house each day , which is also a big problem. This seems like a good idea as more and more electric cars are parked on a street
Can't see it working in many cases. It would need marked bays to stand a chance and large/multiple vehicles + small terraced houses = not enough road space to implement it.

The only workable solution I can see for cases like that are for council operated, permit holder only (at certain times anyway) charging points. In the same way that permits work in most towns you are guaranteed a space in your "zone" but it isn't necessarily outside your house. Would also boost the available charging points on offer to Joe public as you could have unrestricted access between say 9:30 and 16:30. Would also avoid cables trailing all over the place as chargers could be placed at the side of the road or integrated into lamp posts, bollards etc.

Try co-charger. I’m awaiting my first booking as my point is up for rent.. :D

When I first heard about this I thought it was an awful idea with Johnny McCantpark randomly turning up to plug in as you are about to arrive home from work but the reality of it sounds very well thought out with regular arrangements with a small number of people.

Not sure what the point of not allowing unattended sessions on a 7kW charger is though as many people seem to have setup. Unless you also run a Cafe or B&B from your house :D Also the chancer I spotted with a rate of £25 an hour! Doesn't that equate to about £18 per mile for electricity from that "host" :eek:

Last edited:
Man of Honour

This is a complete non starter - the road is a public property and maintained at public expense. There is no additional right to park on it due to the proximity of your house except in cases where a local authority has implemented residents parking and even then it gives you the right to park a vehicle in a zone not an exact spot. There really is no way around the fact that if you want a dedicated, guaranteed parking space then you need to purchase the land to park on. Whilst it is regrettable that those without their own off street parking may find it difficult, surely there are many compromises we make of which this is just one?

An era of people running cables across pavements - pavements used by all sorts of different people - is not at all desirable. It can pose a safety risk, it looks crap, etc.

I don't think home charging for everyone is possible or even realistic but I also don't think it's necessary. By the time we get to a point where electric is basically it as far as vehicle propulsion is concerned technology will have moved on to the extent that you can rapidly charge away from home conveniently and the range of the car will be sufficient that charging at home is simply a luxury and not really required.

Man of Honour
90% of the time cars are sat at home not doing anything though, so it does make sense to charge them there on cheap night tariffs when electricity demand is

A) Low
B) Cheap

Of course it makes sense, I don't argue that it doesn't. My point is that for many people, it isn't practical or even possible.

Back
Top Bottom