When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
V2H and V2G plus more uptake of Solar means that an at home connection will be hugely desirable, if your local council doesn't offer a solution then all you can do is suck it up or move if you want to take advantage of these things.

Soldato
Just had confirmation from work that there's no BIK to pay on home or on-road charging. So they're covering an unlimited amount of personal and business miles for us. Winner.

Soldato
you mean employer pays for personal electricity you use via home charger, and its not taxed ?
do wonder how they would see how much the electricity used for company miles had cost you per unit, you could say it was charged at relatively high daytime rates.

Soldato
you mean employer pays for personal electricity you use via home charger, and its not taxed ?
do wonder how they would see how much the electricity used for company miles had cost you per unit, you could say it was charged at relatively high daytime rates.
Correct. We have to prove the rate to expense it.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand then...

You should be able to claim 4p per mile for business use, but they can't pay you for charging at home....unless they paid for the charge point?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advisory-fuel-rates#:~:text=The advisory electricity rate for fully electric cars is 4,cars for advisory fuel rates

https://www.att.org.uk/electric-car-taxation-employees-businesses-0
Yeah, they also paid for the charge point. I was surprised, too but we had a call with HR and a tax accountant today that confirmed it all.

nam

nam

Soldato
I thought that too but looking at private developments around the Olympic Park in London there are individual parking allocations only for special permit holders and they have pod points allocated too. Quite unique for London

looking at the parking signs it is controlled not by local authority but L&Q anyone else parking there would be in breach , probably towed.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XG1TRzvtecTmMQRH7

This is a complete non starter - the road is a public property and maintained at public expense. There is no additional right to park on it due to the proximity of your house except in cases where a local authority has implemented residents parking and even then it gives you the right to park a vehicle in a zone not an exact spot. There really is no way around the fact that if you want a dedicated, guaranteed parking space then you need to purchase the land to park on. Whilst it is regrettable that those without their own off street parking may find it difficult, surely there are many compromises we make of which this is just one?

An era of people running cables across pavements - pavements used by all sorts of different people - is not at all desirable. It can pose a safety risk, it looks crap, etc.

I don't think home charging for everyone is possible or even realistic but I also don't think it's necessary. By the time we get to a point where electric is basically it as far as vehicle propulsion is concerned technology will have moved on to the extent that you can rapidly charge away from home conveniently and the range of the car will be sufficient that charging at home is simply a luxury and not really required.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a strange week I've had my new Mercedes CLA 250e on order since Dec due mid march through work and got a phone call to say its been delayed by 5 months........... as i was quite annoyed as my current car is due back now but they did offer me a Mercedes EQC AMG Line in Cavansite Blue as it was a stock car coming April for the same money as i was paying for the CLA so i ofcouse jumped at the chance so im proper looking forward to that now compltetly different car but im really not complaining :D

Soldato
Just had a strange week I've had my new Mercedes CLA 250e on order since Dec due mid march through work and got a phone call to say its been delayed by 5 months........... as i was quite annoyed as my current car is due back now but they did offer me a Mercedes EQC AMG Line in Cavansite Blue as it was a stock car coming April for the same money as i was paying for the CLA so i ofcouse jumped at the chance so im proper looking forward to that now compltetly different car but im really not complaining :D

Result. Assuming you didn't need the PHEV/hybrid for the range then?

Caporegime

Blimey - That's gotta be worth at least twice as much? That is a result.

I nearly got a EQC, but opted for a Polestar 2 in the end.

Associate
7kw chargers in supermarkets don't make much sense for shoppers (they would be good for people that work there).

We really need:

150-350kw chargers at services (e.g. 10-15 min stop)
50kw chargers for short-stay areas. (e.g <1hr)
22kw chargers for medium stay areas. (e.g. <2hrs)
7kw or even 3kw chargers for long say areas (e.g. >2hrs)

Then for example if you've gone to do your weekly shop you can get 50kw charge in an hour.

If you're parked at the train station you can get a full charge while you're away for the day.

nam

nam

Soldato
Those new VW pod point chargers at my local Tesco are getting very busy now I am sure I have seen leaf and black taxi parked all day. 1 unit 4 connections and those are probably shared too, does not work really

7kw chargers in supermarkets don't make much sense for shoppers (they would be good for people that work there).

We really need:

150-350kw chargers at services (e.g. 10-15 min stop)
50kw chargers for short-stay areas. (e.g <1hr)
22kw chargers for medium stay areas. (e.g. <2hrs)
7kw or even 3kw chargers for long say areas (e.g. >2hrs)

Then for example if you've gone to do your weekly shop you can get 50kw charge in an hour.

If you're parked at the train station you can get a full charge while you're away for the day.

Soldato
I was sat at the free pod point charger at my local McDonald’s pre lockdown and saw a model 3 on charge with no one in it. About 10 minutes later 2 people in an i3 turned up swapped it over with the model 3 and drove off in that!

I know it’s not technically ‘wrong’ but those points are there to give people a bit of free juice while shopping/eating not for you to charge your fleet of vehicles up for free. Eventually they’ll start charging cos people will take the ****

Caporegime
I was sat at the free pod point charger at my local McDonald’s pre lockdown and saw a model 3 on charge with no one in it. About 10 minutes later 2 people in an i3 turned up swapped it over with the model 3 and drove off in that!

I know it’s not technically ‘wrong’ but those points are there to give people a bit of free juice while shopping/eating not for you to charge your fleet of vehicles up for free. Eventually they’ll start charging cos people will take the ****

I thought charging a car costs £1.50 or something?

Let's say you live 15 minutes away from the charge point. It's not worth the wear and tear on the car and tires to save nothing.

Probably morons or they live across the road.

Back
Top Bottom