When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I was hoping the Taycan Sport Tourismo would be along soon, instead that Cross Tourismo thing like an Audi all road with grain black arches etc has just popped up and looks no where as clean.

Matt Watson tested the a brown GT etron and it does look incredible even in the weird colours.

Both GT etron and Taycan use the J1 platform with the dedicated “foot garages”. Complicated expensive battery but the reason they have been able to offer a saloon type car as the rear passengers don’t have feet on batteries. Lucid Air does similar.

The fact even Fox is starting to see appeal means EVs are through the early adopter phase, that said he’s already shown his cards when he said he would consider a MINI-e

Real shame the electric XJ didn’t make it to market either now :(

Soldato
I see your point :p

51008502456_0fef251024_b.jpg

Foxtron estate agents? :p

Man of Honour
The fact even Fox is starting to see appeal means EVs are through the early adopter phase, that said he’s already shown his cards when he said he would consider a MINI-e

To be fair I've always said I'm not anti EV - but I want a car thats as good as the cars I normally like, just powered by electric. None of this wacky new brand stuff like Polestar :D

I think the only reason we've not gone for a MINI-e is that we've already got a 2018 F56 and it seems like too much of a sideways move. I'll probably get one when the platform is replaced. The MINI-e is already capable of 99% of things we use our petrol MINI for and would be great around town.

I don't think EV is the utopia some people think it is - but that doesn't mean I don't want one or that I don't find them interesting. I've also got plenty of space for charging etc so many of the problems with EV that in my view make them unsuitable for complete replacement of the ICE fleet don't necessarily affect me personally.

Soldato
I thought charging a car costs £1.50 or something?
Looks like it can cost anything up to £40 to charge a car
The true cost of using public charging points | What Car?
The most expensive charge we found is for residents in three London boroughs (Camden, Kensington/Chelsea and Westminster) who choose Source London’s Flexi tariff for a 7.4kW charger and charge up in the daytime. The cost of £40.66 consists of a £10 one-off charge plus 7.3 pence for every minute of charging.

The network’s 7.4kW chargers automatically stop charging a fee after four hours for cars being charged up between 8pm and 7pm, so an overnight charge for the iX3 on the Flexi tariff would cost £27.52, including the initial £10 fee.

The one-off fee also makes the first daytime charge on a 22kW Source London Flexi subscription eye-wateringly expensive at £38.79. That said, subsequent charges are more affordable and frequent users will recoup the cost of the initial fee. It’s also important to note that Source London only charges its highest rates in the three London boroughs listed above; prices are lower elsewhere and many of its chargers are free to use.

Charging prices from here The electric car public charging lottery revealed | This is Money

For the study, its expert panel compared the fees for a 10-to-80 per cent charge on a BMW iX3 with an 80kWh battery.

x8vYdes.jpg

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I thought charging a car costs £1.50 or something?

You are not a stupid guy(! :)) :p it’s not that cheap to charge a car. Even an I3 has a 42kwh battery and that’s ignoring the big Tesla batteries in those, no charging is 100% efficient but even if it were that’s over £5 at a rock bottom normal tariff...

Unfortunately, once we apply some tax to these in the future, I fear that we, as a consumer, are going to be worse off than we are now with petrol and diesel. If the running costs are aligned then I can’t see EV as anything other than a big downgrade over our existing instant recharge/no range worry situation.

Caporegime
You are not a stupid guy(! :)) :p it’s not that cheap to charge a car. Even an I3 has a 42kwh battery and that’s ignoring the big Tesla batteries in those, no charging is 100% efficient but even if it were that’s over £5 at a rock bottom normal tariff...

Unfortunately, once we apply some tax to these in the future, I fear that we, as a consumer, are going to be worse off than we are now with petrol and diesel. If the running costs are aligned then I can’t see EV as anything other than a big downgrade over our existing instant recharge/no range worry situation.

My point was the guys driving a Tesla yet is parking his car miles away from his home to charge it at a free point to then pick it up later on.

The guy had spent £40k on a car yet is trying to save a tenner by wasting his time driving back and forth to a free charger.

It's a ridiculous scenario. Like I said before it would be like me spending £60k on say a range rover with a 3 litre diesel engine. Then driving back and forward to the local takeaways to fill it up with used chip pan oil on a daily basis.

Soldato
My point was the guys driving a Tesla yet is parking his car miles away from his home to charge it at a free point to then pick it up later on.

The guy had spent £40k on a car yet is trying to save a tenner by wasting his time driving back and forth to a free charger.

It's a ridiculous scenario. Like I said before it would be like me spending £60k on say a range rover with a 3 litre diesel engine. Then driving back and forward to the local takeaways to fill it up with used chip pan oil on a daily basis.

You've pretty much described every range rover owner to be fair :D

nam

nam

Soldato
mine is going on wed , model 3 performance , did not really get to drive it much over last 2 years due to covid and quarantine. Being in London and no off street parking and a very expensive Tesla is not wise really, fortunate I had a friend with underground parking who rented me his space and the building's pod point for a good price, but never again. I would rather park on my own street with a small car (electric) or not and not have to worry about all the attention of a Tesla. If I eventually move into a home with a garage then I would consider a Tesla again or another expensive EV but for now and in this current economic climate I don't think it will happen in the near future

Soldato

The guy almost definitely hasn’t spent £40k on a car. He driving a conspany car and is trying to ‘fill it up’ on the cheap.

Soldato
mine is going on wed , model 3 performance , did not really get to drive it much over last 2 years due to covid and quarantine. Being in London and no off street parking and a very expensive Tesla is not wise really, fortunate I had a friend with underground parking who rented me his space and the building's pod point for a good price, but never again. I would rather park on my own street with a small car (electric) or not and not have to worry about all the attention of a Tesla. If I eventually move into a home with a garage then I would consider a Tesla again or another expensive EV but for now and in this current economic climate I don't think it will happen in the near future

I think lockdown has changed a lot of people. I've never been much of a saver, but I'm saving as much as I can and cutting back on things I really can do without. Not sure what my end goal is yet mind. When the etron goes back I'll get something cheap.

Soldato
I can see people like myself who don't have a garage or driveway to charge at home are going be hit really hard by these EV's

Am really not looking forward to ever owning a EV :(:mad: i can see sky high TAX charges (Most likely charged by the mile) and sky high charging prices

Plus they cost an arm & leg to buy one in the first place

Last edited:
Soldato

How long do you think the queues would be if a petrol station started offering £10 free fuel with every visit? It would be crazy, and I doubt the queue would be limited to inexpensive cars.

Soldato
Houses close to free chargers are going to start commanding a premium - like Waitroses.
I'm sure supermarket free chargers are not an ultruistic gift, they have calculated the demographic will spend longer, buy more, in the shop, to offset cost.

The Volkswagen ID.4 Is A Disappointing Electric Car (For Now)

unusually whingy for him - considering he had reproached tesla too, for their apps selection of charger ie. make stops when you can charge in the sweet zone.
(so looks like a 3rd part app is better for both ?)
but the comments on weight/handling, comparative lack of power/200hp, I guess carry over, to the enyaq.
vw apparently uses sk batteries, who are being done for trade secret issues, so may have supply issues .. does that impact ID3 and europe then.

Back
Top Bottom