When are you going fully electric?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
SDK (and the rest of us) would counter your last example by asking why you didn't terminate the finance near immediately after scalping such an impressive discount? :) Expensive finance is expensive finance....by all means use it to drive a deal, but then have replacement funding in place.

Soldato
SDK (and the rest of us) would counter your last example by asking why you didn't terminate the finance near immediately after scalping such an impressive discount? :) Expensive finance is expensive finance....by all means use it to drive a deal, but then have replacement funding in place.
You beat me to it :)

Caporegime

Laziness on my part.

Soldato
On the P*, yeah I think it's just too expensive. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE mine and think the Leather/PP really adds to it, but if it was my money I wouldn't spend the extra £9k on them.

seeing oehlins advertising -- just need to find a bumpy road, during a test drive ,to explore the dfv ... a variant is on nascars etc.
https://www.ohlins.com/2019/07/ӧhlins-adjustable-dampers-offered-new-polestar-2-electric-fastback/
https://motoiq.com/how-does-the-ohlins-dfv-valve-work/

europe has several oolstar versions then
Three drive trains are now available. In addition to the already available 300 kW dual motor (408 PS) with the large 78 kWh battery, there are now two versions with one motor - either also with a 78 kWh battery and a 170 kW motor (231 PS) or with a smaller 64 kWh battery and a 165 kW motor (224 hp).

According to the preliminary WLTP measurement result, the smallest battery, in combination with the 165 kW motor, manages 420 to 440 kilometers. As a variant with a 78 kWh battery and 170 kW motor, the preliminary range is 515 to 540 kilometers according to a press release. The largest variant with two engines still has a range of 450 to 480 kilometers.

Associate
Thanks for all of the advice/guidance on the lease/PCP. To be honest I think I'm just throwing my toys out of the pram because the EGR valve is throwing errors on my car yet again thanks to the short journeys I've had to do recently, and instead of being sensible, getting it cleaned/repaired and either keeping the car or changing it for something a few years old and relatively-cheap, I've gone 'f'k it, get rid of ICE and go Tesla'....

Soldato
Sorry, I wasn't clear - that's teh Zoe we have! We're looking to upgrade, either to a new Zoe or an ID3. So, I want to hear whether the drive is better, what the ID3 is like in terms of infotainment and tech, and the perceived upgrade over the Zoe.

We have tried to test drive an ID3, but we want upper spec list, and they only have the boggo version to drive
So I got into a 1st Edition yesterday. Not entirely sure if it was a 150hp or 200hp model but it felt pretty fast so I suspect the 200hp.

It was actually really good. Refinement is a couple of levels above the Zoe, you feel much more insulated from the road and it’s smooth and quiet in there. You can tell it’s RWD as well when it accelerates and it does handle surprisingly well.

Infotainment was good. Wireless CarPlay worked perfectly but my god touch sensitive buttons do my head in. Even for the temperature it’s touch sensitive which is completely unnecessary. The steering wheel buttons are also capacitive touch which isn’t needed at all. Just give me buttons ffs :D

also the software wasn’t up to date which mean it was giving me speed limit exceeded warnings every time I went over the kph not the mph (so warnings when I went 23 mph in a 30). Apparently the latest software from January fixes this but you would have though VW would upgrade their demo cars rather than let this happen?

All in all I would definitely take one of these over a new Zoe but not sure if I’m willing to pay an extra £15k to get into one compared to keeping our 3 year old one.

Soldato
Laziness on my part.
:cry:

seeing oehlins advertising -- just need to find a bumpy road, during a test drive ,to explore the dfv ... a variant is on nascars etc.
https://www.ohlins.com/2019/07/ӧhlins-adjustable-dampers-offered-new-polestar-2-electric-fastback/
https://motoiq.com/how-does-the-ohlins-dfv-valve-work/

europe has several oolstar versions then
Yeah, in the standard setting, the ride Is pretty firm, and rather uncomfortable on certain roads around me. I'll probably get them adjusted to their softer settings.

Soldato
Might look into EVs next year now, as we have a small child we'll be stopping more frequently over our long trips anyway. Still some inconvenience involved but certainly better situation now.
Finding one within budget might be the hard task, but we'll start looking soon.

Soldato
I think in about 4 years. Just bought a petrol car and think it will be my last. Tesla Model Y looks very tempting, I think in 4 years it will be even more tempting!

Soldato
My company has just started a company car scheme for electric cars. 3 year lease where the car, insurance, servicing etc all included in the month costs which comes out of salary before tax so you save quite a bit. Will be pretty tempting to do this once I actually need a car again.

Associate
Turns out my boss (who's also the CEO of the business, always helps) has said he's open to the idea of changing my car allowance over into a company car instead. Now just need to find a good deal. Model 3 LR seems so expensive right now!!

Soldato
Turns out my boss (who's also the CEO of the business, always helps) has said he's open to the idea of changing my car allowance over into a company car instead. Now just need to find a good deal. Model 3 LR seems so expensive right now!!

Does your car allowance not nearly match the cost of the M3 you were looking at? Surely keeping the allowance and using that to 'buy' a car will mean you've invested some of it at the end in the residuals. I guess that depends on the car allowance though, obviously once the BIK for company cars goes back to normal then you will probably be worse off as well.

Associate
Does your car allowance not nearly match the cost of the M3 you were looking at? Surely keeping the allowance and using that to 'buy' a car will mean you've invested some of it at the end in the residuals. I guess that depends on the car allowance though, obviously once the BIK for company cars goes back to normal then you will probably be worse off as well.

Car allowance is £500 per month minus the tax. Company car has a bit more flexibility, I wouldn't need to pay the upfront cost, insurance, etc etc. and obviously it's lower risk in that if I decide to leave (or my job changes) it's the business' responsibility. So there is that.

Soldato
Car allowance is £500 per month minus the tax. Company car has a bit more flexibility, I wouldn't need to pay the upfront cost, insurance, etc etc. and obviously it's lower risk in that if I decide to leave (or my job changes) it's the business' responsibility. So there is that.

So work out how much car allowance you'll receive over 3 years after tax, plus the other costs taken away, then look at the potential residuals.

EDIT: BIK will be 1% 2% then 3% IIRC on a company car.

Last edited:
Soldato
My company has just started a company car scheme for electric cars. 3 year lease where the car, insurance, servicing etc all included in the month costs which comes out of salary before tax so you save quite a bit. Will be pretty tempting to do this once I actually need a car again.

Just be careful that this is actually worth it. They may look great on paper but these normally also reduce your pensionable income and can have a significant impact on your pension. You need to factor that into the actual cost, particularly if your employer makes a healthy contribution.

Back
Top Bottom