When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Going to have a test drive of an XC40 Recharge today... :)
So we drove the XC 40 Recharge and it was really good to drive. Coming from a Zoe it felt like a different planet. Interior lovely and new google based infotainment system a decent upgrade on the existing one. Power was also on a different level (400 BHP) and really quite comfortable.

However…. It is a £50k car and for the same money you could get a Tesla Model 3 long range with all the bits that come as standard (pano roof, autopilot, 360 degree cameras) which would cost around £60k on the XC40 as you would need to upgrade to the top spec, and still only has a (realistic) 200 odd mile range.

Soldato
If you are testing the XC-40 then I would certainly test the Polestar 2 and etron Q4.

As the above poster said, it’s also worth giving the model 3 a look at this price point assuming the ‘saloon’ body type isn’t a deal breaker (dogs etc).

Soldato
If you are testing the XC-40 then I would certainly test the Polestar 2 and etron Q4.

As the above poster said, it’s also worth giving the model 3 a look at this price point assuming the ‘saloon’ body type isn’t a deal breaker (dogs etc).
Polestar 2 is the closest to the Model 3 for sure. The hatch is better for us than a saloon but Tesla charging is that much better although just seen an announcement that Superchargers might be open to all at some poitn in the future...
Is the xc-40 also going long range with (cheaper?) one motor
Should do if it follows the Polestar but who knows how long it'll be

Soldato
Good run down to Newquay today! Managed to stop at Bristol as intended, although just got off M5 at junction 14 ahead of a crash and rejoined just after for Mollies Motel at cribbs causeway so missed a potential big delay. 25mins to top back up to 80% and decent coffee at half price as it’s still opening week there with the 3 Gridserve chargers at 30p/kWh.

U0i95Bj.jpg

Decent efficiency for one of these today aswell, works wonders with these ambient temps.

SkHU7X8.jpg

Tried Cullompton Ionity but didn’t realise the place was so cramped there and I didn’t get on with the ChargePoint app to get them going.

z4Qykd5.jpg

Charging up for free now.
zBxj1bo.jpg
:cry:

Soldato
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-renault-5-electric-supermini-cost-around-£18500

Looking like a nice alternative to the model 2. Think I will be getting either one in a few years.

Looks like an interesting Zoe replacement, that said I’m not sure why they want to ditch the Zoe name as it’s a very well regarded car.

They seem to be reacting to the current ‘retro’ styling that car manufacturers are coming out with e.g. (Fiat 500, Honda-e Ionic 5 etc.)

I suspect the Model 2 is going to be in the segment above this rather than fighting it out with the small hatches. The yanks aren’t exactly known for their love of small compact cars. I’d expect Tesla will want to produce something something that is powerful and has decent range which would benefit from the extra chassis space of a A class/1 series/focus sized car.

Soldato
but @30p that’s c. £27
that ties in with the monopoly accusation made in last weeks report
Electric Vehicle Charging market study The Competition and Markets Authority
https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/1005292/EVC_MS_final_report_TS.pdf
Very limited competition on motorways
4.7 The Electric Highway (previously a subsidiary of Ecotricity61) is by far the largest chargepoint operator on or near motorways. It has a very strong position, with a share of 80% of all rapid and ultra-rapid open network EV chargepoints at MSAs in Britain. 62 The Electric Highway has a network of 247 chargepoints with a power rating of at least 50kW at MSAs. It is present at nearly all MSAs, and at most of these MSAs faces no competitors on the same site.63

4.8 Even across all chargepoints within half a mile of the motorway, including sites that offer a much smaller range of amenities such as hotels, the Electric Highway’s share of supply is 59%.64

Soldato
Why’s it’s a monopoly ?

Because they (now Gridserve) have an exclusive contract at nearly all MSA’s (aside from some Tesla/Ionity sites). That said their pricing has normally been reasonable (IMO).

Do you think 30p/kWh is too expensive for a 150kw/350kw rapid charger? I’m not sure it is, particularly at an MSA. It’s not like they are cheap to install or operate.

Soldato
Why’s it’s a monopoly ?
Ecotricity signed a load of exclusivity deals with the motorway services providers a while back (you could argue it was good foresight) so they are the only ones allowed (with a few exceptions) but CMA are saying it's unfair because 10-15 years is too long and there would be lots of other providers queueing up to do charging at services if they were allowed to.

Soldato
Because they (now Gridserve) have an exclusive contract at nearly all MSA’s (aside from some Tesla/Ionity sites). That said their pricing has normally been reasonable (IMO).

Do you think 30p/kWh is too expensive for a 150kw/350kw rapid charger? I’m not sure it is, particularly at an MSA. It’s not like they are cheap to install or operate.
The paper is saying there's a ton of cost just getting the right kind of electricity supply to remote services which are nowhere near towns to enable these charging stations. 30p seems fair, the Ionity prices are lol though

Caporegime

No, hence I'm confused why its a monopoly when it actually sounds ok

Back
Top Bottom